Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sothai
Thanks Jim, I'm pretty sure we don't have that in Thailand and probably won't for some time.

How are the wheels balanced at the factory then, as there are no lead weights on the wheels?
There should be stick-on weights visible. Have another careful look at both wheels. If there really aren't any weights you should have their balance double checked.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
There should be stick-on weights visible. Have another careful look at both wheels. If there really aren't any weights you should have their balance double checked.
Yep mine have weights also. Motorcycle wheel/tires are balanced pretty much the same as a car on a dynamic balancing machine.

If your shop don't have one, find one that does. I remember the small indy shop I used when I first got into street bikes back in the day had one so your local Harley shop should too. No way is someone spraying balancing goop in my tires to "balance" them. The factory service manual has very specific information on wheel balancing.

Last edited by HenryT; 10-19-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Anorher product for dynamic balancing consists of "beads". I don't recall the name.
They are called Dyna Beads

Another vote for Ride On. It's good stuff

Old 10-21-2015, 06:05 PM
MarkFXSTC
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone bought an LED oil cap/dipstick for a Breakout? I'm trying to find. Couldn't see one on HD website. Thanks

Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 404 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkFXSTC
Has anyone bought an LED oil cap/dipstick for a Breakout? I'm trying to find. Couldn't see one on HD website. Thanks
Yes, I found one on the website a year ago. Be SURE to get the right one. The dealer gave me the WRONG one when I tried to buy it there. The Breakout one is threaded to match the threads in the oil tank. Some HD models use UNthreaded LED dipsticks.

Further, my first LED dipstick failed after a few months, but the 2nd one has been working fine for quite a while now. It is a real convenince to be able to check BOTH the oil level and the oil temperature with one push of a button. No mess.

In addition, the gage showed me the effectiveness of the Jag 10-pass oil cooler I had installed. Now, the temperature NEVER goes above about 220, most often is in the 200 to 210 range, and sometimes in the 190s when it is not hot outside. (I live in Austin, Texas, where it is HOT much of the year!)

Jim G

Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I have one, yes its the threaded version, and it has worked perfectly all season.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM
NSR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MarkFXSTC

Yep, I have this one:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...10-63000209--1

It seems to work fine. It was crooked at first, so I did have to take it apart to correct that. The instructions tell you that it might be crooked and how to re-orient the display so it's horizontal - it's simple.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04675.PDF

Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 404 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
Yep, I have this one:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...10-63000209--1

It seems to work fine. It was crooked at first, so I did have to take it apart to correct that. The instructions tell you that it might be crooked and how to re-orient the display so it's horizontal - it's simple.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04675.PDF
Just to clarify: By "crooked", you mean that initially when the dipstick was inserted and tightened the correct amount, the display was not "clocked" for easy reading from either the right side of the bike or from the saddle. If so, yes, it is normal to have to "clock" the top portion of the dipstick display to make it easily readable from the angle you want. Just be careful when doing so to not break any wires or to insert the weather seal incorrectly (if the weather seal is not placed properly, rain or wash water will get inside and kill the electrronics).

Jim G

Old 10-22-2015, 05:49 PM
NSR
Road Captain

Just to clarify: By "crooked", you mean that initially when the dipstick was inserted and tightened the correct amount, the display was not "clocked" for easy reading from either the right side of the bike or from the saddle. If so, yes, it is normal to have to "clock" the top portion of the dipstick display to make it easily readable from the angle you want. Just be careful when doing so to not break any wires or to insert the weather seal incorrectly (if the weather seal is not placed properly, rain or wash water will get inside and kill the electrronics).

Jim G

Yeah, that.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, I found one on the website a year ago. Be SURE to get the right one. The dealer gave me the WRONG one when I tried to buy it there. The Breakout one is threaded to match the threads in the oil tank. Some HD models use UNthreaded LED dipsticks.
They also come with different length dip sticks, you can double check it against the stock one. I have one on my Rocker for instance that screws into my Breakout but wouldn't be accurate because the dip stick is to short.
EDIT: My bad, I forgot my Breakout has an Arlen Ness which is to long. Rocker and Breakout use the same part #

Last edited by Rocker B; 10-29-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread