Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:41 PM
rwoolworth1
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Wow they are proud of those!
Appreciate the help!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 AM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any major changes (specifically the brakes) in any of the model years? I might just be buying used if the 2017's have the 110 in 'em, even though I might just be throwing a different engine on down the road anyways.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
Any major changes (specifically the brakes) in any of the model years? I might just be buying used if the 2017's have the 110 in 'em, even though I might just be throwing a different engine on down the road anyways.
Many of the softails enjoyed a significant front brake upgrade in the 2015 model year.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:01 AM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi gents,

I have 2 questions regarding my new DD gauge, if I may:

1. How to set the mileage? I was told that it would DIY read it from the ECM, but it hasn't.

2. How to set the readout to KPH.

The document that came with the gauge is out of date/useless.

Thanks in advance!

Cracked item 2, but still need to get the ECM Kms set.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-06-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sothai
Hi gents,

I have 2 questions regarding my new DD gauge, if I may:

1. How to set the mileage? I was told that it would DIY read it from the ECM, but it hasn't.

2. How to set the readout to KPH.

The document that came with the gauge is out of date/useless.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...&article_id=6#

Is it possible to put my vehicle's odometer readingQ: Is it possible to put my vehicle's odometer reading on the Dakota Digital gauges or do I have to start at zero miles? I looked at the installation instructions but could not find how to set the odometer.

Some Dakota Digital gauges come from the factory at zero miles unless you specify that you want the odometer set. Dakota Digital can set the odometer on our digital gauges to a specific mileage reading. It must be done at the factory and there is a $20 charge for this service. If you do not specify that you want your odometer preset then it will be shipped from the factory at zero miles.

VHX, VFD3 and RET Series gauges and certain motorcycle products now allow for user programmable mileage to be set one (1) time during the inital setup before 100 miles. If this is not done or set incorrectly the control box will need to be returned for service and a $20 service charge will apply.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=article&article_id=6#

Is it possible to put my vehicle's odometer readingQ: Is it possible to put my vehicle's odometer reading on the Dakota Digital gauges or do I have to start at zero miles? I looked at the installation instructions but could not find how to set the odometer.

Some Dakota Digital gauges come from the factory at zero miles unless you specify that you want the odometer set. Dakota Digital can set the odometer on our digital gauges to a specific mileage reading. It must be done at the factory and there is a $20 charge for this service. If you do not specify that you want your odometer preset then it will be shipped from the factory at zero miles.

VHX, VFD3 and RET Series gauges and certain motorcycle products now allow for user programmable mileage to be set one (1) time during the inital setup before 100 miles. If this is not done or set incorrectly the control box will need to be returned for service and a $20 service charge will apply.

Would seem to me there are some legal issues surrounding this also. I know in automobiles if the gauge cluster has to be changed the only way a dealership can legitimately get a new cluster is through the manufacturer and they require certification of the old mileage. They then preset that into the new one at the factory. Seems bikes should be similar...but I'm thinking some less than honest people may be able to find away around that step. Which is a scary thought when shopping for a used bike...

Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 PM
sothai
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...&article_id=6#

I'm in Thailand, so sending it back would be prohibitively expensive.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:07 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

My DD speedo did not need to be set. But, if yours does, here is the manual.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/mcl-3212.pdf

Old 09-28-2015, 06:14 AM
sothai
Tourer

Originally Posted by 24v
My DD speedo did not need to be set. But, if yours does, here is the manual.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/mcl-3212.pdf
All done - thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

More mods for the technically challenged :

A while ago I decided to try a cheap experiment that turned into a keeper. I put a heel-toe shift lever on my breakout.

The main parts I used were one of these (this is Canadian pricing):

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/dra...-ds273930.html

,,,, and 3 of these:

https://www.denniskirk.com/la-choppe...prd/498998.sku

,,, and a handful of cheap O-rings.

I wound up having to drill and tap the lever to accept a set screw that extends into the channel on the spline so the shifter wouldn't work its way off. The results work great, there is no dragging of parts and the shifting action is quite natural and comfortable. The longish aftermarket pegs do add to comfort and aesthetics but aren't necessary.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread