Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 400 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
. . . The BO is definitely not a 200+ miles-per-day ride bike without substantial comfort upgrades.
I found that changing just two items made ALL the difference for longer rnage comfort:

- A much better seat (the stock one is VERY thinly padded to help achieve that "low" look). My Corbin seat has much better quality construction and padding, a bit more padding, and a better shape.

- Getting a seat from a seat maker who offers customization of the fore-aft sitting position. I moved my sitting position forward by an inch, and that took the "stretch" out of reaching the bars.

With these changes, my Breakout is now as or more comfortable than any sport type bike I have previously owned (and there have been 39 of them).

Jim G

Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Are you kidding???

Actually no Jim Im not kidding. Ask anybody to look at the current crop of Harley's and ask them which one "looks" (notice I said looks) more like a chopper and I guarantee you'll get Breakout for every answer. Im a younger man than you and the "chopper" Im more familiar with are the long low bikes of the late 2000's who's other MAIN component was a FAT REAR TIRE!!!!! Which incase you haven't noticed the Breakout has. Im not talking about Easy Rider style bikes which Im sure is what you're associating your definition of chopper with. "Drag bike" was never a designation if you will of a particular style of bike really like "chopper" or "bobber" or "Vicla" etc is.

But as usual in your over analyzation of my post you failed to see the point I was trying to make. It had nothing to do with the looks of the bike but simply that the BO is not a big seller at this point because IMO more people are looking for creature comforts than a DRAG BIKE.

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Correct- The BO is more of a "Pro Street" type of drag bike. Not a chopper.

I didn't say it was a chopper. Looks like and is are two totally different things. Either way it doesn't matter. I know better than to get in an argument with the two of you. Last thing I want is Jim and Dog gangin up on me lol!!!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:35 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 400 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
. . . Im a younger man than you and the "chopper" Im more familiar with are the long low bikes of the late 2000's who's other MAIN component was a FAT REAR TIRE!!!!!
I know the bikes you are talking about. Bourget especially made a lot of them. Those bikes are not generally called "choppers". They are called "Pro Street", as LA_Dog has stated.

The same company, and others (like Big Dog), made bikes with high front ends that they called "choppers", in the same time period as the Pro Street bikes.

I know two guys who have owned those Bourgets and Big Dogs by the way, and both told me that there was no way they would ride either of them more than 50 miles. Two reasons: totally uncomfortable (vibration, suspension, narrow seat, etc), and utter lack of reliability (parts vibrating off, electrical components failing, parts unique to that manufacturer falling off on the road and nowhere to get a replacement, etc).

The Breakout is a comfort and relibility DREAM compared to those!

Jim G

Old 06-30-2015, 03:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Actually no Jim Im not kidding. Ask anybody to look at the current crop of Harley's and ask them which one "looks" (notice I said looks) more like a chopper and I guarantee you'll get Breakout for every answer. Im a younger man than you and the "chopper" Im more familiar with are the long low bikes of the late 2000's who's other MAIN component was a FAT REAR TIRE!!!!! Which incase you haven't noticed the Breakout has. Im not talking about Easy Rider style bikes which Im sure is what you're associating your definition of chopper with. "Drag bike" was never a designation if you will of a particular style of bike really like "chopper" or "bobber" or "Vicla" etc is.

But as usual in your over analyzation of my post you failed to see the point I was trying to make. It had nothing to do with the looks of the bike but simply that the BO is not a big seller at this point because IMO more people are looking for creature comforts than a DRAG BIKE.

I didn't say it was a chopper. Looks like and is are two totally different things. Either way it doesn't matter. I know better than to get in an argument with the two of you. Last thing I want is Jim and Dog gangin up on me lol!!!

hey no worries- no one is ganging up on anyone, it's all about good discussion and at times different opinions.

I have to disagree with you though, 'drag bike' and 'pro street' are two distinct and widely recognized types of bikes. the Breakout is not a chopper style- even though it has a similarity to the last round of uber-choppers with a wide tire, the wide tire is actually caracteristic of Pro Street / Drag bikes and was adapted to chopper builds in the early 2000's. a wide tire does not by itself designate a chopper.

Google Pro Street Harley:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Google Drag Bike Harley
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+...ag+bike+harley

You'll see definite differences versus actual choppers.

And if you look at HD's own marketing on the BO:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US.../breakout.html

Anyway it is a common mistake to call just about any rowdy looking HD a chopper- It's good to learn the different Genres.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm also not sure why you say it's not a big seller- The Breakout is a top earnings driver for HD. It was also the 4th top selling road bike overall in Australia. http://www.mcnews.com.au/road-bike-s...gures-summary/
I think you'll find similar world wide.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What seats are you guys liking on yours?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:40 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by burnsy87
What seats are you guys liking on yours?
My favorite seat is always the one i have custom made. Right now i still have the stock seat, comfortable enough but when hitting hard throttle from a stop i slide right off the back of it if i don't also use the passenger seat. Needless to say the custom seat will be happening soon..

there's a lot of guys on here with good aftermarket seats so I'm sure they will chime in- not too many choices for the Breakout though as far as ready-made.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 PM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as middle aged and older men remain their main demographic baggers aren't going anywhere. The Breakout caters to a younger demographic based on looks alone. It still has that chopper look and feel and that's a fad that has been long gone for a while. From an aftermarket stand point I think the low sales numbers of the Breakout is what's holding back aftermarket support. Its still and will probably remain a niche bike. Walk into any dealer and they'll probably have 1 but I doubt you'd rarely ever see more than 3 on the floor and if so they've been there for a while. Go to that same dealer and they'll have 15 Street Glides and sell them all in a month. I think more and more people are honestly looking at comfort more when purchasing a new bike. I don't care what you do to a Breakout to make it more comfortable, it will never ride as good as a touring bike. But with that said I traded in my Breakout last Thursday and by Monday they had it sold so what do I know lol! I liked my Breakout and glad to say I owned one
May I ask why you sold it then please?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

**** i was doin 600+ miles a day on a ducati panigale!the bo seems like a plushy caddy to me...well on wknd rides not everyday

Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 AM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
**** i was doin 600+ miles a day on a ducati panigale!the bo seems like a plushy caddy to me...well on wknd rides not everyday
Why on earth were you doing 600 miles a day??

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread