Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:52 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Helgi33- I think you are just having too much fun with your new toy.

I'm concerned a bit since you are here posting in a forum about swapping injectors, and putting in smaller injectors is giving you more HP/TQ. something ain't right here. typically all of this math for air / fuel delivery and target hp/tq is done before the build is even started. it is all math, there should be no guesswork by a builder.

What I know is this- more HP needs more fuel. forced induction needs more air and more fuel. e.g. larger TB and larger injectors should net more HP/TQ with the correct tuning. From my calculations, 159hp in your dyno pull requires a minimum of 574cc/min. - your 550cc injectors (52lb/hr or 6.4 gm/sec) barely support this.

Ideally you should be getting closer to 180hp and you should be using the 750cc injectors. the injectors should have a 6-hole nozzle and not a 3-hole. Here in the US we typically discuss injectors in gm/sec. 750cc/min at the standard 43psi delivery pressure = 72lb/hr and 12.0 gm/sec. You don't want to run the injectors over 60% duty cycle which is why you use larger injectors, but not too large.

What size and brand of throttle body and intake plenum are you using?
What brand of injectors are you using- not all injectors are made the same, high quality performance injectors atomize better.
What is your target HP/TQ for this build?

Have you talked to any of the specialty intake / injector companies such as Marren, Horsepower Inc, Daytona Twin-Tech or Five-O Motorsports?

Also too- I suggested in an earlier post, talking to Daytona Twin Tech about their ECM replacement due to your mentioned MAP scaling issues- I hope your builder told you that HD's come with a 1-bar MAP sensor (100 kpa), which is correct for normally aspirated engines. forced induction engines typically require 2 or 3 bar MAP sensors (200 or 300kpa). If you make the CI value larger like 120 in Powervision, it will fool the ECM into scaling your MAP calculation and should help. but this is just "throwing darts" and guessing.

Companies like Horsepower, Inc make complete performance throttle bodies with different MAP sensors and optimized intake manifolds for HD. Realistically, the HP/TQ output of a super charged or turbo charged engine are only limited by the skills of the builder.

You may also want to consider better cams, the 255's are really not optimal for hitting the big numbers. it's considered a stock performance cam. but **first** you need to know that your air / fuel delivery is solid for your targeted HP, then you can focus on things like cam changes to raise HP/TQ, tuning, etc.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 06-16-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to change out my front turn signals for chrome. May as well match the rears also.

Custom Dynamics site is confusing. Arlen Ness has some but don't believe they're for the FXSB.

Not really into the stick signals. Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

How about Joker Machine? those are sleek but not stick-like. the hard part is finding adapters so they sit properly on the Breakout. Me personally I don't have turn signals. I never rely on them. Only reason I still have the rears is they serve as the brake / tail lights too.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
I need to change out my front turn signals for chrome. May as well match the rears also.

Custom Dynamics site is confusing. Arlen Ness has some but don't believe they're for the FXSB.

Not really into the stick signals. Any ideas?
Not sure what you mean by stick signals.

As far as the custom dynamic site being confusing, I agree (I think most people here do too). Do what I did the second time I purchased from them man. Call them and tell them what you are looking to do and they will put the order together for you right over the phone. Best thing is that they won't try to sell you something you don't need.

Can't go wrong with their products. Everything mounts up the way it should and their guarantee is unbeatable.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

i think stick signals are ones like the Kellermann units you see on the ThunderBikes.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
i think stick signals are ones like the Kellermann units you see on the ThunderBikes.
Yeah that's what I meant. Couldn't think of what they were called.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Alain
Not sure what you mean by stick signals.

As far as the custom dynamic site being confusing, I agree (I think most people here do too). Do what I did the second time I purchased from them man. Call them and tell them what you are looking to do and they will put the order together for you right over the phone. Best thing is that they won't try to sell you something you don't need.

Can't go wrong with their products. Everything mounts up the way it should and their guarantee is unbeatable.

Yeah I need to order a jw speaker for my headlight bucket also.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:33 AM
snappyfish
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm looking at bike below, not seen in flesh yet. Supposed to have stage 1 done but it shows standard air filter?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by snappyfish
So I'm looking at bike below, not seen in flesh yet. Supposed to have stage 1 done but it shows standard air filter?

Well, it is possible to modify the plastic back half of the H-D filter "football" and make it breathe ALOT better. Doing that and replacing the H-D filter element with something better might be what they're talking about w/ that bike.

Modding the football tub is essential though - just replacing the filter element won't do much if air can't get into the football in the first place.

I used a hole saw to punch a BUNCH of 1" holes in mine right off the bat.

Last edited by NSR; 06-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by snappyfish

You're looking at the filter cover not the actual air filter. It could be an Arlen Ness Big Sucker setup that uses the stock cover. I had one on my Nightster and it flowed a ton of air and still used the football cover.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread