Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:24 AM
helgi33
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy Vedder
Thanks for the reply. Thought I was missing something. But your remedy sounds pretty straight forward. By the way, I was reading your bike details in your sig...holy $#!+! Do you have a build thread?

Hi Teddy
Am happy if my fix helps you, did also same kind of fix on the connector going to the oroginal exhaust. I have a European model and they come with electrical actuator in the exhaust.. somthing to with EU regulation on emission..

I havent really setup a specific Build thread yet.. just been posting updates here and there. I have though been taking pics of most of the steps so can probably make nice detailed Build Thread one day..

Old 06-14-2015, 03:58 AM
helgi33
Novice
Default TTS Supercharger

I want to give update on my Super Charger installation. I have been traveling a lot last 5-6 weeks so I gave TTS plenty time to play with this.. We did encounter few obsticles on the way..

First one being that the kit (casings) were designed for the 96 / 103 engine and mine had the 110ci SE kit installed so cylinders and heads were wider then the 96/103 setup. Minor milling etc was needed and then all was ok.

Next problem was the Power Vision. I assumed when I bought it that it was the latest greatest thing in getting a tune correct. That is true in many ways but it is not designed to work with Forced Injection. It asctually has built in feature to limit VE (Volumetric Efficency). Ignition and Fuel is calibrated RPM against manifold pressure and the highest manifold pressure it is designed for is 0.27bar. DJ was not willing to make a tune for us or modify the 0.27bar limit so we had to install a Power Commander who has no limit on manifold pressure.

We could use the Autotune feature with the Power Commander so Autotune was quite useful in the end. I have Wide band sensors installed on the bike. lot of twaeking was needed.. larger injectors had been installed but the original ones ended up being better match.. gear ratio on the charger was lowered and so on..

As I wasnt pressed for time and have been enjoying my Triumph Rocket 3, then TTS had plenty time to iron out all fine tuning.. and the end result look quite pleasing .. 160RWHP and 146 ftlb Torque..

Here is a link to the dyno run. part of it is a bit out of focus but still nice to see. I will ge the bike on Wednesday back and can then post some more pics and videos.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by helgi33
I want to give update on my Super Charger installation. I have been traveling a lot last 5-6 weeks so I gave TTS plenty time to play with this.. We did encounter few obsticles on the way..

First one being that the kit (casings) were designed for the 96 / 103 engine and mine had the 110ci SE kit installed so cylinders and heads were wider then the 96/103 setup. Minor milling etc was needed and then all was ok.

Next problem was the Power Vision. I assumed when I bought it that it was the latest greatest thing in getting a tune correct. That is true in many ways but it is not designed to work with Forced Injection. It asctually has built in feature to limit VE (Volumetric Efficency). Ignition and Fuel is calibrated RPM against manifold pressure and the highest manifold pressure it is designed for is 0.27bar. DJ was not willing to make a tune for us or modify the 0.27bar limit so we had to install a Power Commander who has no limit on manifold pressure.

We could use the Autotune feature with the Power Commander so Autotune was quite useful in the end. I have Wide band sensors installed on the bike. lot of twaeking was needed.. larger injectors had been installed but the original ones ended up being better match.. gear ratio on the charger was lowered and so on..

As I wasnt pressed for time and have been enjoying my Triumph Rocket 3, then TTS had plenty time to iron out all fine tuning.. and the end result look quite pleasing .. 160RWHP and 146 ftlb Torque..

Here is a link to the dyno run. part of it is a bit out of focus but still nice to see. I will ge the bike on Wednesday back and can then post some more pics and videos.

Harley Twin Cam 110SE with TTS Maxi charger 160whp - YouTube
Helgi was that dyno a 4th gear pull? Nice numbers from that maxicharger. I may have asked already, but what cams are in the bike?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 AM
helgi33
Novice

Hi Cdonis

I wasnt there when the dyno was done but yes it looks like it was done in 4th Gear.. it would match that the speedo was around 120mph at 6000rpm.

The camshafts are the SE255. TTS wanted me to go for Torque cams which would give good torque on low RPM.

The supercharger is a belt driven centrifugal which provides linear increase in pressure.. very low at idle and then gradually building up to about 14psi at 5600rpm so Torque from the cams is apreciated below 2500 - 3000 rpm..

There might be better cams for this setup out there but will start with these as the dyno curves look quite nice..

Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Hi Cdonis

I wasnt there when the dyno was done but yes it looks like it was done in 4th Gear.. it would match that the speedo was around 120mph at 6000rpm.

The camshafts are the SE255. TTS wanted me to go for Torque cams which would give good torque on low RPM.

The supercharger is a belt driven centrifugal which provides linear increase in pressure.. very low at idle and then gradually building up to about 14psi at 5600rpm so Torque from the cams is apreciated below 2500 - 3000 rpm..

There might be better cams for this setup out there but will start with these as the dyno curves look quite nice..
very impressive! I'm interested to see it's street manners, and if it runs a lot hotter. If I had those numbers and everything worked that well, I would not change a darn thing. I Appreciate the updates.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Awesome! congrats glad it is coming together for you. Here's some thoughts off top of my head which may help-

I think you can scale your maps in powervision by changing the engine CI to a larger value. for example, setting it to 117ci or 120ci. this will scale all of the other parameters and MAP / VE should become more usable.

TwinTech has the most advanced tuner modules by far. http://www.daytona-twintec.com/TCFI5.html

For what you are doing you might consider looking at something like this that replaces the HD limited ECM. read this entire page, particularly halfway down on injectors and intake runners.
http://www.daytona-twintec.com/tech_tcfi.html

I would talk to them if you want another good source for tuning advice. these guys know their tuning with performance HD's. their tuners replace the HD ecm and are alpha-n based, for forced induction you want a speed density system (you have that now), and TwinTech makes a special application ECM / tuner that is speed density. these are serious tuning devices for *****-out performance and complete 100% control of every single engine management parameter- including the hidden BLM tables.

I would log your runs and look at the Injector Duty Cycle as you hit upper rpm's and more throttle. you don't want to be over 80% - even that is high for the stock HD siamese intake plenums. once the injectors get over 60% duty cycle they do not deliver fuel properly. Horsepower, Inc, S&S make "dual runner" intake plenums that avoid this issue, are far better and can use smaller injectors if needed.

Thank you for sharing your build here- I can totally appreciate the time, effort and money you put into this.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 06-14-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

If you change all three (engine sprocket, trans pulley, rear wheel pulley) you'll get a drive ratio of 3.25:1 ... giggity ... and I thought what I have planned was deep (3.18:1) lol...

I hope to switch my bike to Exile/Primo's 3.5" belt (1.53:1) and Exile's "sprotor" (2.08:1) this winter. That'll give me the 3.18:1 ratio.

You have the part number handy for the 30T trans pulley?

That tune is workin' great, btw. Funny you mention the bigger injectors in the other thread. I was looking at the SE catalog myself today...

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Well guys I think I just found the "bad ***" component for better gearing on the Breakout or any other softail / dyna. Seems Primo Rivera just started making a smaller 32t front compensator gear kit for all 2007-up bikes. All FXS/FXD are shown to fit this part including rocker / breakout.

This is the gearing half of the compensator sprocket and replaces the stock 34t gear with a new 32t gear- and you still keep the compensator function. Most places are out of stock but a few places have them some as low as $197.

Rivera Engineering 1066-0050 Gear Ratio Game Changer-Rivera

Google for it to see stores that have it: https://www.google.com/search?q=1066...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Basically what this does is change your primary gearing ratio from 1.35 to 1.44. With the stock 32t transmission pulley and stock 66t rear pulley, this gives you a 2.95 overall ratio (stock is 2.79). if you also do the 68T rear sportster pulley, you now end up with a 3.055 ratio- which is awesome, almost as good as the 3.067 ratio of the 30T trans pulley and 68T rear pulley upgrade.

This IMO is the better way to do it, and you can DIY this with basic tools. Cost wise, assuming the dealer charges an avg of $150 do to the 30t transmission pulley swap, you'll save over $100 going with the 32t compensator vs the 30t transmission pulley.

$200 for 32t Primo compensator kit -vs- $65 for the 32T trans pulley
$40 for primary gasket / derby cover gasket -vs- $100 for both inner and outer primary gasket kits

(optional) $160 for the 68T sportster sprocket, $10 for the five shorter sportster pulley bolts.

>DIY or shop labor to remove outer primary and swap the compensator sprocket outer half. put in shorter chain and adjuster spacer

(optional) > DIY or shop labor to change the rear pulley and adjust drive belt. using the 68T rear pulley is OPTIONAL with the Rivera kit but you'll only end up with 2.95 ratio- still not bad though / can do rear pulley later

-vs-

>$150 or more shop labor to swap the transmission pulley to 30t.

> The 30T transmission pulley swap requires also installing the 68T rear pulley, $165 plus bolts plus DIY. Unless you want to buy a shorter drive belt ($170+) and pay labor cost to swap belt (NOT cheap)

Of course I find this AFTER I bought the trans pulley and gaskets... lol

Note that with either method your speedo will be off, so you'll need a good tuner device like the PV2 to adjust the calibration. With the motor compensator change, you must also adjust the "gear ratios" section of the tune file otherwise your gear indicators and 6th gear light will be wrong. with the transmission pulley change, you don't touch the gear ratios you only adjust the 'speedometer' value.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
If you change all three (engine sprocket, trans pulley, rear wheel pulley) you'll get a drive ratio of 3.25:1 ... giggity ... and I thought what I have planned was deep (3.18:1) lol...

I hope to switch my bike to Exile/Primo's 3.5" belt (1.53:1) and Exile's "sprotor" (2.08:1) this winter. That'll give me the 3.18:1 ratio.

You have the part number handy for the 30T trans pulley?

That tune is workin' great, btw. Funny you mention the bigger injectors in the other thread. I was looking at the SE catalog myself today...
cool- glad the tune worked for ya. everything look good in the log data?

part number is:

2011 Tri Glide Trans Sprocket is P/N 83595-11 $63, discount avg. prices HD-83595-11 - try Surdyke or Kutter Harley online

I'm not changing all three- the primary compensator sprocket is an option in lieu of changing the front transmission pulley. I'm changing the front trans pulley to 30T and I already have the 68T rear belt pulley installed. that exile setup is pretty nice- looking forward to the pics-

Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 AM
helgi33
Novice
Default Breakout Supercharger

This is the first dyno run with the supercharger.. some fine tuning need to be done or as explained by Richard from TTS:

I got into remapping the Harley 110cu. Twin cam today.
Here is the first reasonable dyno pull. 157 whp and 142 ft.lb torque. But I am not happy at the moment. I thought we would need the 750cc injectors to get enough fuel at the top end, but maybe we don’t. The 750’s flow more but don’t atomise as well and I think if we can, I will use the 550’s as they will definitely make more power (if I don...’t run out of duty cycle at the top end). This should bring the power up everywhere as I am seeing little gain below 3000rpm ( think from the shape of the curve this is the cams). I then have one more option and that is machine a 28T pulley (up from 26T). This will give me boost earlier and then I can drop the rev limit down to 5600rpm. This will lift the whole curve. Here is the before and after power and torque graphs, remember this is a work in progress, don't be to critical

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 AM
helgi33
Novice

Final Dyno Run with Supercharger versus Dyno Run without Supercharger
Here TTS have changed gear ratio of the supercharger and put in smaller injectors and changed few things in the tune like ignition timing etc..
the RWHP number has basically doubled.. cant wait to ride it.. :-)

Now I will need better seat.. something like Danny Gray. It was hard enough to hang in the original seat with the stock 103ci.

Last edited by helgi33; 06-16-2015 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread