Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
It's close enough to where I'd probably give it a try. if you just hold them up and don't actually install them, if it looks too far off you can always return them. you also need to extend the brake line / shifter linkage.

Did you see these kits on ebay from Cyclevision?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...nsions&_sop=15

Yeah, the brake line might be the glitch...but Ness sells their extended brake line for ABS bikes as a separate part. So, that'll probably solve the brake line problem.

About the kits that use plates and a half dozen screws on each side to move the controls forward ... something about all of those kits just seems "off" to me. I know plenty of guys have used them and like them, but they seem hinky to me...and I'm trying to be nice lol

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
I've got a set of those in chrome that I was gonna use but didn't. I could get them to you a little cheaper.

.....hmmm ... chrome eh? Thanks. I'll think about that. I was going to get the black H-D kit. OTOH, I do have access to a blast cabinet at work...

Old 06-04-2015, 05:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Took the scoot out for a test spin today on some familiar twisty crappy roads to see how the Progressive 422's ride. I have the drop at 1.25" and 2.5 turns of preload. the travel is good and no bottoming out. Although, it's a bit harsh on hard bumps and not very good on rebound control. At fast speeds it is worse, a bit springy on the rebound / don't like that. It does track dips in pavement well, I would say it is like a sport shock with sub-optimal rebound damping. I can set a bit less preload and that will soften out the hard bumps, but it will not solve rebound control. ideally these should be valved for both fast rebound and slow rebound.

Comparing these to the damping action in the front Ricor's, which I give a full A+, I would rate these 422's as a C+ speaking strictly in terms of a "performance aftermarket shock". Everywhere the front suspension stayed nice and planted / mannered on challenging road sections, the rear shocks were a bit out of control. While the stock HD shocks are a bit mush on compression, I would say they are actually better on rebound control than the 422's.

I'll eventually end up getting a set of Works shocks. No loss here I can sell these used on ebay for what I paid for 'em new.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 06-04-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the scoot out for a test spin today on some familiar twisty crappy roads to see how the Progressive 422's ride. I have the drop at 1.25" and 2.5 turns of preload. the travel is good and no bottoming out. Although, it's a bit harsh on hard bumps and not very good on rebound control. At fast speeds it is worse, a bit springy on the rebound / don't like that. It does track dips in pavement well, I would say it is like a sport shock with sub-optimal rebound damping. I can set a bit less preload and that will soften out the hard bumps, but it will not solve rebound control. ideally these should be valved for both fast rebound and slow rebound.

Comparing these to the damping action in the front Ricor's, which I give a full A+, I would rate these 422's as a C+ speaking strictly in terms of a "performance aftermarket shock". Everywhere the front suspension stayed nice and planted / mannered on challenging road sections, the rear shocks were a bit out of control. While the stock HD shocks are a bit mush on compression, I would say they are actually better on rebound control than the 422's.

I'll eventually end up getting a set of Works shocks. No loss here I can sell these used on ebay for what I paid for 'em new.
What is different about the works as compared to those or the stock ones besides the fact that they're adjustable?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
1 1/4" or 1.25"
thanks man..ordered some trask moto bars

Old 06-04-2015, 06:23 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
What is different about the works as compared to those or the stock ones besides the fact that they're adjustable?
Works seems to make good shocks that perform well- I've always used them with Dyna / FXR and motoX bikes. I have no personal experience with the softail shocks they make but I have heard good reviews on them. I don't know anything about the inner workings of the HD shocks- Gas charge and a spring I suppose

There is Shotgun and Legend, but I'm not overly interested in an adjustable air suspension or dropping over a grand on one. then again I did just spend over a grand on a freaking wheel. whatever right??

Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
thanks man..ordered some trask moto bars
post pics after install!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is Shotgun and Legend, but I'm not overly interested in an adjustable air suspension or dropping over a grand on one. then again I did just spend over a grand on a freaking wheel. whatever right??
Yeah that's me also. I like the look of the lowered rear end but don't believe I need an adjustable air suspension. I thought I wanted one but the more I thought about it I just can't pull the trigger on it.

I will however eventually chrome my front end so your front end solution will get put in.

I need to stay off this forum lol I keep finding too many things to change. Probably should have built one from scratch and saved some money.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Surprisingly, building a very nice V-Twin bike from scratch can easily cost $30k or more. Unless you do all the work yourself. Even then, you'll only shave off say $10k or so in labor costs. And I'm not including custom paint.

summary of it is- either way it's gonna cost ya!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 PM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your 422's the remote adjustable ones or just standard? And definitely let us know what your thoughts are compared to the Works once you've tried both. I've been considering 422's because I also don't want to spend $1k.

Michael

Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Works seems to make good shocks that perform well- I've always used them with Dyna / FXR and motoX bikes. I have no personal experience with the softail shocks they make but I have heard good reviews on them. I don't know anything about the inner workings of the HD shocks- Gas charge and a spring I suppose

just do it!...only live once!..if it makes you feel any better i just ordered a shotgun ...used my 2k gift card and spent about an extra $240 bucks to get everything i needed for build excluding shotgun shock...just got to get the engine covers off for powdercoating which i dont have to pay for due to the powdercoater renting a building from me...so that is always handy!...thank you for all your input!

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread