Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

it's possible. I've heard that even changing to the Screaming Eagle high-comp spark plugs will mess it up. Your plugs, wires and coil all work together on a feedback type of system to detect knock events when the plug fires. if it's not working right and causing false knock, the ECM will constantly pull timing. bike will be doggy. worst case the ecm pulls a whole lot of timing and bike runs very hot and very doggy. Since there is zero performance benefit to using different wires or coils, probably better to keep it stock if you want to use the knock detection system. That's all i know about it from what I have come across in a number of threads on HD tuning.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
No I was gonna send the coil to him and see what he says. He asked me if I wanted it to look like a hand grenade and I told him no.

Another friend of mine is wanting to see if he can do one with the Willie G skull in black and chrome.

I remember someone on here changing the coil for the Accel packs but I can't find the post to ask if he would get rid of the coil. If not I will get a new one and send it to him.
Hand grenade coil is for sure one of the cheapest parts of the BO, especially for the material and finish.
Unfortunately there aren't so many valid alternatives on the market yet.
I agree a cover would be the easier and cheaper choice to improve the look and avoid the issues LA_Dog just mentioned.
Hope my friend Michael will manage to have a custom cover made...Willie G one would be great in terms of fitting for my BO...
First thing now is finding a spare hand grenade coil to start this project...

Old 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok here is a question for the guys who have the Arlen Ness Magnaflow exhausts. Which of the two is louder? The F Bomb or the Lowdown? I know the guys who have them say they are not a loud pipe, but which one is louder.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
it's possible. I've heard that even changing to the Screaming Eagle high-comp spark plugs will mess it up. Your plugs, wires and coil all work together on a feedback type of system to detect knock events when the plug fires. if it's not working right and causing false knock, the ECM will constantly pull timing. bike will be doggy. worst case the ecm pulls a whole lot of timing and bike runs very hot and very doggy. Since there is zero performance benefit to using different wires or coils, probably better to keep it stock if you want to use the knock detection system. That's all i know about it from what I have come across in a number of threads on HD tuning.
Can only share my experience to date about changing the stock plug wires to the Screamin' Eagle wires. Myself last summer wanted to add the SE red plug wires, I did tons of research and found all kinds of different opinions. Some say it changes nothing with the knock sensor and some say it will. After talking with my preferred dealer about this, they informed me it would not effect the knock sensor as long as you went with the correct SE plug wires for the bike.

So I ordered the SE 10 mm Plug Wires Red #31967-08

Installed them and they work great and the bike runs exactly how it did with the stock wires. Have never had any knock what so ever and I live down here in this Texas heat. They look good on the motor with that little touch of red and a little thicker plug wire.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by usmcbuck
Can only share my experience to date about changing the stock plug wires to the Screamin' Eagle wires. Myself last summer wanted to add the SE red plug wires, I did tons of research and found all kinds of different opinions. Some say it changes nothing with the knock sensor and some say it will. After talking with my preferred dealer about this, they informed me it would not effect the knock sensor as long as you went with the correct SE plug wires for the bike.

So I ordered the SE 10 mm Plug Wires Red #31967-08

Installed them and they work great and the bike runs exactly how it did with the stock wires. Have never had any knock what so ever and I live down here in this Texas heat. They look good on the motor with that little touch of red and a little thicker plug wire.
good to know- thanks!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
good to know- thanks!
Been wanting to say thank you for all the info you share with us on the Breakout. This thread is a winner for all of us that have this bike, its guys like you and others that share a great deal of knowledge that make ideas and mods come together with out all the fuss and doubt.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:57 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeh I guess that's kinda what we all do here- Back when I first got the Breakout I too gained a lot from members in this thread who gave me advice and info. Anyway glad some of the info I contributed was helpful.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone know what pipe this is? nice looking Breakout- another fine German creation. how's those checkered sidewall Metzelers- where the hell you get those? hah.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:53 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

This has to be some of the best custom Breakout examples I've seen. might give you guys some ideas - some really innovative mods.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The sidewalls on that breakout are hypnotic ! Never seen that before.

Maybe those pipes were made by those hell's Angels in the background lol.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread