Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

the thing I like the most on those pipes is the finish. now that's creative! main problem with exhaust makers, they only know how to do chrome or satin black. boring.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
Appears to me they are the same length. Why do you say there's a difference in back pressure? The loop?
Yes, that rear pipe has a really tortuous path compared to the front one. Length is important, but so is the shape of the path.

On a car, even a change as "small" as an "X" pipe crossover versus an "H" pipe crossover makes a big difference.

LOOKS pretty though. Of course, so do some ladies who are hell to live with once you get to know them.

Jim G

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yes, that rear pipe has a really tortuous path compared to the front one. Length is important, but so is the shape of the path.

On a car, even a change as "small" as an "X" pipe crossover versus an "H" pipe crossover makes a big difference.

LOOKS pretty though. Of course, so do some ladies who are hell to live with once you get to know them.

Jim G

OMG do you KNOW some of my ex's??? LOL

yeh anyway Jim is spot on regarding the pipes. one is way too bendy vs the other.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

whaddya think Jim- too many turns on these pipes? ha

Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I see a performance drop, a seriously hot air intake and filter housing, and a HUGE imbalance in front cylinder versus rear cylinder back pressure.

I also see the hot exhaust coming out RIGHT underneath your thighs, which will certainly keep you warm (burned maybe even ) on cold days, but really **** you off on hot days.

Don't do it LA-Dog . . .

Jim G
I see a show bike where none of the above matters

Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
I see a show bike where none of the above matters
Yeah, I remember a Billy Lane bike that he built for one of those TV show 2-builder "competitions". The rules said each builder had to actually RIDE the bike about 50 miles as I recall. Billy has run his exhaust right through the frame under the seat. He was barely able to complete the 50 mile ride - his butt was actually burning!

Jim G

Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

yeh the key here is finding the good blend of both show and go. my ideal pipe would be a 2-1 that has a visual flair on par with some of the rowdier 2-2 designs. the Akropovic open line or Supertrapp Phantom II both seem to come close.

On the flip side, a rowdy 2-2 that has a good enough performance design to come close to a 2-1 would work. but most of those are going to be quite long.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
...There is the new Ness F-Bomb pipe, but i discovered it is rather restrictive and only good to about 100hp, and the primaries are not stepped. I don't see the "pro" in that.. ;p - i didn't like the sound clips either.

Well that ... sucks. I was considering this pipe in chrome. Damn. The only thing actually keeping me from going for it was the GIANT Ness/Magnaflow emblem on it. It doesn't stick out as much on the chrome version.

I think 24V was going to switch to this pipe. He hasn't been on here in a while though.

Got any more info on how bad it sucks? I guess I'm just hoping that someone used the wrong cam or something, lol.....

Damn, I'd like to switch to a short, chrome 2-1. It's got to end at/close to the swingarm pivot point. I just dig that look.

A while back I saw a chrome 2-1 pipe that looked like a Corvette or Cobra 427 side pipe - like the picture ^^

I didn't save the link though & can't find that pipe now.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Anybody know anything about the Patriot Defender pipes?

...looks OK, but the flapper thing seems gimmicky.

http://patriotpipes.com/pipes.html

Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSR

Well that ... sucks. I was considering this pipe in chrome. Damn. The only thing actually keeping me from going for it was the GIANT Ness/Magnaflow emblem on it. It doesn't stick out as much on the chrome version.

I think 24V was going to switch to this pipe. He hasn't been on here in a while though.

Got any more info on how bad it sucks? I guess I'm just hoping that someone used the wrong cam or something, lol.....

Damn, I'd like to switch to a short, chrome 2-1. It's got to end at/close to the swingarm pivot point. I just dig that look.

A while back I saw a chrome 2-1 pipe that looked like a Corvette or Cobra 427 side pipe - like the picture ^^

I didn't save the link though & can't find that pipe now.
No info other than a few blog reviews here and there. although it makes sense since it is a 'bolt on upgrade' for most HD owners who will never do more than a stage1. also I think it only has 12mm O2 bungs and I need a set that has 18mm for WB. Or a set with no O2 but is cheap and I can have the bungs welded on.

I think you are referring to the Santee Xotic Lake 2-1 pipes like these: http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/exh...xoticlake.html

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread