Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by iconmaker
you will be in for a shock when/if you get a BO! ... as its been mentioned you have to re-think your riding from the ground up. gone is the stopping distance of a few feet (its now several meters) .... i'm not at the stage where i can give you a good description of cornering yet, only done about 20 miles. All said and done its a total beast of a machine and i cant wait to break it in and learn how to ride it comfortably.

yeh that's pretty much it. plan everything you do on the road well more in advance. Although, if you do upgrade the front suspension and tires, and throw on a set of HH+ front brake pads, you'll see an amazing improvement all around. not a little, a lot. if it was insignificant i wouldn't even bother to mention it. I am so shocked by the improvement from these relatively simple upgrades that I would go as far to say that they should be the first thing any Breakout owner does to their bike, in terms of benefit for $$ spent. but I guess that statement only applies if you plan on riding in any sort of spirited manner or it will be mainly a town bike.

I personally find the Breakout much more fun to ride overall than any of my previous sport bikes, and I find myself riding it a lot more than my wicked Big Dog chopper. Maybe because I just got all of that 'need for speed' out of my system. I figure I've had more than my fair share of knee dragging, track races, and (illegal) speed runs at 140+, and I'm still here to tell about it. - not to say that I don't ride the Breakout hard, but the imposed limitations are fine by me. Keeps me in check

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-18-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM
iconmaker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
yeh that's pretty much it. plan everything you do on the road well more in advance. Although, if you do , you'll see an amazing improvement all around. not a little, a lot. if it was insignificant i wouldn't even bother to mention it. I am so shocked by the improvement from these relatively simple upgrades that I would go as far to say that they should be the first thing any Breakout owner does to their bike, in terms of benefit for $$ spent. but I guess that statement only applies if you plan on riding in any sort of spirited manner or it will be mainly a town bike.

I personally find the Breakout much more fun to ride overall than any of my previous sport bikes, and I find myself riding it a lot more than my wicked Big Dog chopper. Maybe because I just got all of that 'need for speed' out of my system. I figure I've had more than my fair share of knee dragging, track races, and (illegal) speed runs at 140+, and I'm still here to tell about it. - not to say that I don't ride the Breakout hard, but the imposed limitations are fine by me. Keeps me in check
cheers Dog, gonna seriously consider these upgrades before i do anything else.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iconmaker
cheers Dog, gonna seriously consider these upgrades before i do anything else.
Cool- all of the info on that is in one of the sticky's at the top of the softail forum. IMO, if you do that and a stage 1 (better exhaust pipes and a tuner like the Powervision PV2), that is pretty much all you need to do to the bike mechanically to have it be very fun, reliable and responsive. Not sure if you are aware but the HD-supplied ECM tuning both stock and Stage1 are rather de-tuned and "EPA friendly". There is a lot of HP and TQ left on the table that can be put back with something like the PV2 and optimized tune file.

The rest of it will just be personalization stuff- bars, grips, wheels etc etc. - nice thing about the Breakout it already looks bad *** right off the showroom floor.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
snappyfish
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colour? I know its a personal thing but what's your favourite? I cant decide
  • Black (always awesome)
  • Blue (one of my favourite colours, last bike was blue/white)
  • Grey (looks awesome)
  • Amber Whisky (kinda grows on me)
So think it's black or grey???

Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 AM
xlr8it
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Matte Black

Originally Posted by snappyfish
  • Black (always awesome)
  • Grey (looks awesome)

Matte Black
Just finished it yesterday

Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by snappyfish
  • Black (always awesome)
  • Grey (looks awesome)
Morraco Gold FTW!!!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM
iconmaker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Morraco Gold FTW!!!

love this colour!!!!! ..... or should i say color for our American brootherhood.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

man you had to ask that color question didn'tcha ?? LOL

I am partial to black or gray with the stock colors- but all of them are nice. HD did an exceptionally good job choosing their paint colors for the BO.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xlr8it

Matte Black
Just finished it yesterday

Nicely done! love the ghosted-on tank logo.

What did you use for the matte paint? The only matte black I have found that holds up to gasoline without streaking is the 2-stage "Hotrod Flatz" line of paints from House of Kolor. Every other matte I've seen is a single stage urethane and won't hold up to gas spills without streaks.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

So whatcha all think of these pipes? I'm looking for new pipes that have the 18mm WB bung - but I'm hitting a brick wall with a 2-1 pipe that I like, visually, on the BO.

No info in the net for these "LAF Ambush" pipes but the stepped header design is interesting - RB Racing did a similar set of 2-2 pipes that worked quite well but are discontinued- and they were $1100. these come with 18mm bungs. cheap price..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAF-AMBUSH-S...-/171747955716

Or these, from Bassani- also a stepped design. but I think they have 12mm bungs. not that cheap.

http://www.bassani.com/part/1SD2FB

There is a shorty competition pipe 2-1 from VH, looks interesting:

http://products.vanceandhines.com/store/75-114-9/

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-19-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread