Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
JemmyPaeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iconmaker
has anyone used a magnetic tank bag on their BO? ...might seem a weird question to some of you guys but i'm thinking of taking a weekend or two away on the bike and could do with a bit of luggage.I have a magnetic Tank bag that's unused somewhere in the garage just wondered if it was possible to mount one or am i being too optimistic.
I wouldn't want to put anything anywhere near the paint on my bike. You'll find the clear coat very soft and easy to mar, you look at it the wrong way and you'll have a scratch, luckily it's easy to correct minor imperfections as well.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Alright here's an update to my earlier post on the rear 68T pulley upgrade. When I did my first test ride, it was mainly to check for alignment and anything odd.
it all checked out great, absolutely zero issues "as good as stock" fitment. I did not notice much added pull, but I logged my run and looked through the data.
i decided to tweak the tune a bit (a lot, actually), and went for another test ride.

Holy crap. bike pulls harder than it ever has before. granted, i think a lot of this had to do with optimizing my spark, VE and AFR, as well as some changes to the accel enrichment-
but DAMN. with a good tune, the new sprocket just makes the bike feel like it dropped 100 lbs of weight. I got on the throttle hard and baby just kept on pulling hard and fast all the way through.

I give this mod two thumbs up, and I'll throw in a woody if combined with a good tune.

***THANK YOU Dynaunder for this suggested upgrade***

Here's some pics - first pic just got it on the rim, with my fancy black bolt cover caps of course!
note the super sweet Pirelli Night Dragon rubber. did I say how much I love these tires??

Second pic shows how much more forward your wheel will sit in the adjuster, and there is plenty of room to properly adjust belt.
The upper blue tape line on swingarm was the OLD adjustment with the stock 66T pulley.
The bottom blue tape line on nut shows the new forward position with the 68T pulley - about a 3/8" difference.

Third pic shows the final belt alignment after running the wheel forward several times to allow the belt to fall into it's natural position.
all good, plenty of clearance and nice straight alignment with front pulley.

This was definitely worth the cost of sprocket, bolts and time to put it on.

Great write up. I have mine sitting on my kitchen counter waiting to be installed next week sometime.

I got this all because of your original post. Ive been wanting to do a bully upgrade since day one on this bike. I can't wait to see the effects.

Do you have an FP3 tuner. I have one and have been having a hard time finding a tune I like. The auto tune doesn't work as well as I had desired unfortunately.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:38 PM
iconmaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JemmyPaeg
I wouldn't want to put anything anywhere near the paint on my bike. You'll find the clear coat very soft and easy to mar, you look at it the wrong way and you'll have a scratch, luckily it's easy to correct minor imperfections as well.
I see your point Jemmypeag ...maybe a nice swing arm bag is in order. Any suggestions from you guys who already have them? ..

Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM
snappyfish
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
You have to change what you focus on.

Sport bikes are all about acceleration, handling, and deep leaning on curves.

Cruisers (Harleys) are all about sound, feel, vibration, and deep relaxation. Listen to your engine. Feel the rythmic vibration. RELAX.

AHarley is a high quality machine, but NOT one designed for the same mission as a sport bike. Enjoy this NEW focus. Don't try to apply the old one.

Jim G
Awesome! Couldn't of explained it better. Exaclty what I want.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

The only problem I have switching from a sport bike to my Breakout is all of my track bikes are GP shift and the BO is standard.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
The only problem I have switching from a sport bike to my Breakout is all of my track bikes are GP shift and the BO is standard.
You don't notice the extra 300 lb of bike weight, the forward footpegs, the 50% cut in power, and the 23 inch wide crankcase/primary assembly?

Jim G

Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM
iconmaker
Intermediate

seems to be quite a few swing arm bags on the market, any recommendations from fellow Breakout owners?? ...i know they don't hold a great deal of stuff but would still like one for a few small items while on the move

Old 05-18-2015, 01:14 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
You don't notice the extra 300 lb of bike weight, the forward footpegs, the 50% cut in power, and the 23 inch wide crankcase/primary assembly?

Jim G

Well sure but I don't ride my sport bikes on the street only the track and when you ride the track a few times a month like I do and have been for several years the transition is easy. Hell I rode a 07 Nightster for years pulled up to the dealer and left on my Breakout a few hours later and it felt completely different. But 10 miles down the road I settled in and was good to go. Any new bike is going to feel different out of the gate whether you're going from sport bike to sport bike, cruiser to cruiser or sport bike to cruiser. They all take a little getting used to because its not what you're used to riding. The key is to not go out and try to ride your BO like your old sport bike.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 PM
snappyfish
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Well sure but I don't ride my sport bikes on the street only the track and when you ride the track a few times a month like I do and have been for several years the transition is easy. Hell I rode a 07 Nightster for years pulled up to the dealer and left on my Breakout a few hours later and it felt completely different. But 10 miles down the road I settled in and was good to go. Any new bike is going to feel different out of the gate whether you're going from sport bike to sport bike, cruiser to cruiser or sport bike to cruiser. They all take a little getting used to because its not what you're used to riding. The key is to not go out and try to ride your BO like your old sport bike.

Well I have actually never ridden any other bike buy a gixxer 600, I really want a breakout as my next bike and currently looking.

My head seems to think the change is going to be similar to driving a small hot hatch sports car then jumping into a range rover.. both are different machines.

Hot hatch > fast, great cornering and racy style fun!
Range Rover > Bigger, comfortable, relaxing & nice to drive!

Gixxer 600 > fast, great cornering and racy style fun!
Breakout > Bigger, comfortable, relaxing & nice to drive!

So surely the breakout is just a different beast altogether.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM
iconmaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snappyfish
Well I have actually never ridden any other bike buy a gixxer 600, I really want a breakout as my next bike and currently looking.

My head seems to think the change is going to be similar to driving a small hot hatch sports car then jumping into a range rover.. both are different machines.

Hot hatch > fast, great cornering and racy style fun!
Range Rover > Bigger, comfortable, relaxing & nice to drive!

Gixxer 600 > fast, great cornering and racy style fun!
Breakout > Bigger, comfortable, relaxing & nice to drive!

So surely the breakout is just a different beast altogether.
you will be in for a shock when/if you get a BO! ... as its been mentioned you have to re-think your riding from the ground up. gone is the stopping distance of a few feet (its now several meters) .... i'm not at the stage where i can give you a good description of cornering yet, only done about 20 miles. All said and done its a total beast of a machine and i cant wait to break it in and learn how to ride it comfortably.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread