Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mseymour3
I'm not saying it's not worth it or that bodywork isn't expensive to begin with. I mean heck it is a Harley. There's almost nothing about it that isn't expensive. But for my budget it would make more sense for me to spend the $1000 towards a shotgun shock or redoing front and rear suspension or that much would probably cover every single thing left I want to do to the bike excluding suspension and rear fender.

Michael
Yep totally agree. I tend to spend first in the areas where it will benefit me the most with daily riding. So far, the money I spent on tires, fork springs and dampers has been the biggest single benefit return for the cost. Pipes and tuning, second biggest. Third biggest, swapping the rear sprocket for the Sportster 68T. Next will be cams and head work, a 2-1 exhaust and that's pretty much it. Everything else (to me) is personalization stuff and I get to it as I can afford it based on want and bank account. lol. Some guys do all the bodywork trick stuff first. It's all good- it's all about what makes you enjoy your bike the most.

[edit] oh and let's not talk about my other bike, which I've already put over $10k into in go-fast and shiny crap. heh - but it does go fast, and it sure is shiny!

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-13-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Yep totally agree. I tend to spend first in the areas where it will benefit me the most with daily riding. So far, the money I spent on tires, fork springs and dampers has been the biggest single benefit return for the cost. Pipes and tuning, second biggest. Third biggest, swapping the rear sprocket for the Sportster 68T. Next will be cams and head work, a 2-1 exhaust and that's pretty much it. Everything else (to me) is personalization stuff and I get to it as I can afford it based on want and bank account. lol. Some guys do all the bodywork trick stuff first. It's all good- it's all about what makes you enjoy your bike the most.

[edit] oh and let's not talk about my other bike, which I've already put over $10k into in go-fast and shiny crap. heh - but it does go fast, and it sure is shiny!
I'll wear out the stock tires before I get new tires but suspension, 68T sprocket (thanks to you for the idea), cams, and better tuning are definitely on my shortlist. Besides I already like the stock rear fender and better suspension while being lowered a slight amount in the rear will probably eliminate the need for a different fender.

Michael

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll wear out the stock tires before I get new tires but suspension, 68T sprocket (thanks to you for the idea), cams, and better tuning are definitely on my shortlist. Besides I already like the stock rear fender and better suspension while being lowered a slight amount in the rear will probably eliminate the need for a different fender.

Michael
I think my main concern with the shorty rear fender would be back spray when hitting water. i already get a tiny bit with the stock fender especially if going at slower speeds. there's always some trade-off for cool looks- my other bike has no front fender just an RSD fork brace. looks cool but yep she sprays. plus I'm packing the wifee on weekend rides so the stock fender lends to better seating and less complaining

I thought about wearing my stock tires out first as well- but I am glad I did it now. you'll be amazed with how much better the bike turns and stops- seriously night and day. plus I got $100 for the used tires on CL. Overall pretty low cost for the benefit- especially if you can pull the wheels off yourself and take them to dealer for tire mount / balance- the dealer bends you over hard to pull the wheels. You'd think that a simple tire swap would not make much diff but it really does on this bike.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-13-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alain
The boys at thunder bike sure know what they are doing. I'd love to run their swing arm set up. They look nice as hell.

I wish they had a distributer here in the U.S. They'd make a killing.
+1 agree~!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
mseymour3
Tourer

I don't ride 2 up a lot but I do some so even if I get a shorter fender I must make sure it has the option for that or I can at least make one.

Michael

Old 05-13-2015, 01:22 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

eh just get one of those ebay suction cup pads. tell her to "hang on tight". all good

Old 05-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't ride 2 up a lot but I do some so even if I get a shorter fender I must make sure it has the option for that or I can at least make one.

Michael
Have you a custom one made. Show them a pic of what you want. It is so much cheaper that way. Mine were!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
mseymour3
Tourer

That's probably what I'll end up with or as mentioned just upgrade my suspension and leave the stock fender. I'm already planning to make my own passenger backrest/sissy bar and luggage rack because the current one doesn't allow much room front to back for a passenger. Also the sport tapered Breakout luggage rack doesn't provide much space to actually strap a bag on.

Michael

Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 PM
zz2h33
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That's probably what I'll end up with or as mentioned just upgrade my suspension and leave the stock fender. I'm already planning to make my own passenger backrest/sissy bar and luggage rack because the current one doesn't allow much room front to back for a passenger. Also the sport tapered Breakout luggage rack doesn't provide much space to actually strap a bag on.

Michael
I'm looking at the fat-boy sissy bar mod that has been mentioned on here. Look it up, maybe it'll save you some time

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

So I decided to cut the fork rubber gaiters off. I like it a lot better without them on. the gaiters were just too chunky-looking. that and they were collecting crap behind them. oh well just flushed $24 down the toilet.. ;p

I got my Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors today- damn they are sweet. they are black anodized billet and glass is high quality with slight blue tint. the holes in the brackets even match with my levers.

They came with short bolts for a Ducati, so I have the brake side side mounted but have to fabricate one more bolt for the clutch side. Figures I only had one correct bolt in my box of junk.. no biggie. Best $85 I spent. essentially all of the Circuit 851's are the same but they sell you longer or shorter bolts / studs for your specific application. since this one came off a 2011 Ducati it had short studs. HD's need 1.5" bolts. but they are all M8. I'll post pics tomorrow-

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-13-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread