Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Jim- I measure 15.5" to top of shift peg from floor. Keep in mind that my Breakout no longer has the lame fork sag since I redid the fork springs, so a stock Breakout may be an inch lower.

However, if you have the bars turned to the left you will more than likely hit the lever and / or mirror when lowering / raising bed. if the bars are straight they would be more forward and out of the way. Also it might hit the license plate if it is still oriented stock and horizontal. It is pretty easy to take the license plate bracket apart and orient the license plate downwards vertically. looks better too
Thank-you again, La_Dog. I should be able to develop a good solution with this data in hand, and your ideas on license plate turning and handlebar orientation!

Jim G

Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Good luck Jim- One more detail, the left shifter peg is about 56" forward of the rear end of bike.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:55 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Default vertical license plate factory bracket mod for FXSB Breakout

Here's a pic of the re-oriented factory license plate bracket:
Name:  FXSBSE11_zps3159ab6b.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  407.4 KB

Here is a link to my post with another member's instructions plus my own minor improvement added: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post12824051 Super easy to do with basic hand tools and re-uses the same exact pieces. if you do my additional mod you'll need two low-head bolts / nuts.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-05-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

THanks, La_Dog. The bed will be between 72 and 75" long (75" if I try to go to standard twin mattress length), so 56" is going to be within that length no matter what I do, so I either go above the peg to gain more width, or simply forget about trying for a "standard" mattress width.

The license plate 90 degree turn makes sense for another reason besides making the bike narrower to accommodate the bed: I keep running into that darn license plate at gas stops anyway, so maybe it is time to turn it 90 degrees!

Technically, I think Texas law requires the plate to be horizontal, but I'm not sure, and I've seen enough of them mounted vertically that I suspect no police officer wastes the time to ticket someone for it.

Jim G

Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
THanks, La_Dog. The bed will be between 72 and 75" long (75" if I try to go to standard twin mattress length), so 56" is going to be within that length no matter what I do, so I either go above the peg to gain more width, or simply forget about trying for a "standard" mattress width.

The license plate 90 degree turn makes sense for another reason besides making the bike narrower to accommodate the bed: I keep running into that darn license plate at gas stops anyway, so maybe it is time to turn it 90 degrees!

Technically, I think Texas law requires the plate to be horizontal, but I'm not sure, and I've seen enough of them mounted vertically that I suspect no police officer wastes the time to ticket someone for it.

Jim G
Meh- I wouldn't sweat it. Officers usually have more important things to look for and deal with.

You do know the Breakout length is 96.3 in total, even though the wheelbase is only 67.3, right?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Meh- I wouldn't sweat it. Officers usually have more important things to look for and deal with.

You do know the Breakout length is 96.3 in total, even though the wheelbase is only 67.3, right?
Yes, the 96.3" length is actually pretty good for my trailer - it will not block the "cross hall" from the 36" wide side door on the passenger side towards the driver's side of the interior.

Believe it or not, another bike I owned before the Breakout, a Honda VTX 1800 Retro model (my 39th bike as I recall), was actually over 6 inches longer!

Jim G

Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 441 Posts

These will be swapped out soon enough...but does anyone else find that the stock mirrors on the breakouts cant actually see around your shoulders? There a good way to account for this as mirrors are not on my priority list atm.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yes, the 96.3" length is actually pretty good for my trailer - it will not block the "cross hall" from the 36" wide side door on the passenger side towards the driver's side of the interior.

Believe it or not, another bike I owned before the Breakout, a Honda VTX 1800 Retro model (my 39th bike as I recall), was actually over 6 inches longer!

Jim G
Of course, you are a man of detail as well Jim

40 bikes- that earns some bragging rights for sure. very fitting the 40th was a Breakout!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 PM
helgi33
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and thanks for the post / info- that is a lot of work! Everything sounds good to be - but- I am totally scratching my head on why they installed the SE255 cams - those cams run hot and cause ping, and have a really early intake close of like 30 degrees. It's what most all of the CVO guys complain about and most everyone eventually gets rid of the 255's. It also means you are running stock compression around 9.3:1.

You would have been much better off with raising compression like 10.0 to 10.5:1 and getting better cams with a later intake close of 41, higher lift and optimized duration. With all the money you're putting into this you may have just shot yourself in the foot by not running a more optimal cam especially with forced induction. JMHO... Also what are you doing for injectors, TB and ECM management? you my want to consider a replacement ECM with wide-band O2 like the Dynatec units. A lot of tuning will be needed. But please do let us know how it works out- love to see pics with the SC mounted. SC's are always cool

Hi LA_Dog

The reason behind the SE255 cams is that they were part of the 110 SE Stage One kit I bought from Harley..
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-18-2750811--1
and yes the compression is 9.3 to 1
Darkhorse put everything together fro me and I asked them for advice on the cams.. if I should put any other cam in but they siad they didnt have enough experience with charged engine and thought I should try this one before putting other in.

I also asked TTS who are installing the charger and they thought that a Torq cam like this one would probably be good.. they had tried cam with more overlap and didnt give good result especially on low to mid range..

This charger is a belt driven centrifugal one so pressure increases with RPM. so at low RPM the pressure aint so high and Torqe cam will probably suit well. Anyhow aint big thing to swap cams if needed.

I changed the Con Rods for H-Competiton rods which are slightly longer so my compression ratio now is around 10:1 according to Dark Horse..

TTS will install larger Injectors and I have Power Vision with autotune PRO and wide band sensors so am hoping the tuning will be easy...

I would be grateful if you are able to reccomend any cams for me.. I asked in many places and got really nowhere.. that why the SE255 are in there now.. by the way the cams will have to be chain drive due to super charger installation..

Am travling now and wont see the bike until around 18th May and hope it will be all ready at that time.. I have sitting in the workshop the Vrod front forks, wanaryd wheels with 13" discs and set of six piston calipers.. think is good idea to improve the stopping power once the charger is installed..

Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by helgi33
Hi LA_Dog

The reason behind the SE255 cams is that they were part of the 110 SE Stage One kit I bought from Harley..
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-18-2750811--1
and yes the compression is 9.3 to 1
Darkhorse put everything together fro me and I asked them for advice on the cams.. if I should put any other cam in but they siad they didnt have enough experience with charged engine and thought I should try this one before putting other in.

I also asked TTS who are installing the charger and they thought that a Torq cam like this one would probably be good.. they had tried cam with more overlap and didnt give good result especially on low to mid range..

This charger is a belt driven centrifugal one so pressure increases with RPM. so at low RPM the pressure aint so high and Torqe cam will probably suit well. Anyhow aint big thing to swap cams if needed.

I changed the Con Rods for H-Competiton rods which are slightly longer so my compression ratio now is around 10:1 according to Dark Horse..

TTS will install larger Injectors and I have Power Vision with autotune PRO and wide band sensors so am hoping the tuning will be easy...

I would be grateful if you are able to reccomend any cams for me.. I asked in many places and got really nowhere.. that why the SE255 are in there now.. by the way the cams will have to be chain drive due to super charger installation..

Am travling now and wont see the bike until around 18th May and hope it will be all ready at that time.. I have sitting in the workshop the Vrod front forks, wanaryd wheels with 13" discs and set of six piston calipers.. think is good idea to improve the stopping power once the charger is installed..
I would contact Hillside Cycle www.hillsidecycle.com - one of the best sources for building current twin cam motors. I would be very concerned if your static compression really is 10.0:1 with the SE255 cams. do you know if the cams are earlier model with a 30 degree intake close or later model with 25 degree intake close? either one is only designed for lower compression like 9.3 to 9.5. You need a cam with an intake close of around 40 degrees with static compression of 10:1. You should also have specification from the SC manufacturer on optimal static compression.

You need to ask Darkhorse how they calculated the 10:1 - this is all basic mathematics- there is no room for guesswork with engine building, there is a calculation for everything especially figuring static and dynamic compression. there are better cams and you should definitely use something else, but you must be able to know your exact static compression first. Hillside Cycle can probably give you some friendly advice-

I would also contact Bob Woods at woods cams, and also T-Man cams (google search). They should know a good cam for your application and both of these cam makers are highly regarded- but again they need to know your static compression and probably some specs on the SC, and how you plan to ride the bike (town, drag strip, etc) - anyway call all three of these places.

My concern is if you fire this baby up you will have way too high of static / dynamic compression and the only way it will run without pinging is to seriously retard the timing. e.g. not much power. keep in mind the SE255 cams were made for low static compression. not a good idea to use them with 10:1 or higher.

Vrod forks sound nice but you can get the same good suspension with simply upgrading the springs to race tech and adding ricor dampers- a lot less work. see the sticky at the top of the Softail forum.

Good luck brother I can appreciate all of the work you are doing-

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-05-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread