Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
i get up to 280 riding in town on a 80+ degree day on the stop / go stuff. running quite a bit of timing advance though. engine temp management only comes on at a stop or very slow cruise, mine is set to come on at 140c and off at 135c. have not had it come on yet though.

Open road temps at speed should of course be lower like 250/240/230 due to air cooling of motor.

I have to double check, but I think those are the same temp's I'm at as well, with tune #6/358. It was 70F here in Jersey yesterday - cool, sunny & breezy. A great day. I was just tooling around town, not stop-and-go traffic, and not out on the highway either. I rode the bike in much hotter weather last summer & never experienced this once.

I think the bike is running hotter now than it did a few days ago - when I first loaded #6/358 and went for that 5 hour ride, lol....

Is it possible that the bike's computer is tweaking the tune?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 PM
jd_cincy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike was running very hot last season after Stage 1 (fp3, big radius 2:1, heavy breather). I saw >290 at least once in stop and go in 85 degrees and it was frequently running >265. This is oil temp at the digi dipstick.

This season, the hottest I've seen is 265 in 30 minutes of almost standstill traffic. Since I got my 1k service, the I haven't seen over 250. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
I have to double check, but I think those are the same temp's I'm at as well, with tune #6/358. It was 70F here in Jersey yesterday - cool, sunny & breezy. A great day. I was just tooling around town, not stop-and-go traffic, and not out on the highway either. I rode the bike in much hotter weather last summer & never experienced this once.

I think the bike is running hotter now than it did a few days ago - when I first loaded #6/358 and went for that 5 hour ride, lol....

Is it possible that the bike's computer is tweaking the tune?
The ECM will adjust VE cells that match up to the Closed Loop areas of your AFR target table. Look in your AFR table and all of the bold numbers are within the closed loop range. your VE table and AFR table are laid out the same as far as "areas" for cruise, idle, lugg, WOT, etc. the leanest areas are at idle and in the typical cruise area. So yes you could be running more lean / economical in those ranges if the ECM adjusts the closed loop VE's to a smaller (leaner economical) valu and you are doing a lot of cruising / idle.

for the open loop values of AFR the ECM is not changing VE's at all and is doing it's best to achieve the richer AFR table values (the ones not in bold, under 14.2)

I'm working on an open loop AFR map right now- tested it out today and it ran well but saw a bit of excessive knock events under load (WOT, 3/4 roll ons etc). work in progress..

try the V9 / 358 I like it the best- won't change the engine temp any though- these bikes do run hot but shouldn't present any real problems.

for a test you could edit the AFR table and change the AFR values richer in idle / cruise. I'll post up a modified V6 shortly. run it and see how it affects throttle and engine temp in town. you can copy / paste the AFR table to the V9 tune as well.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-19-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
for a test you could edit the AFR table and change the AFR values richer in idle / cruise. I'll post up a modified V6 shortly. run it and see how it affects throttle and engine temp in town. you can copy / paste the AFR table to the V9 tune as well.

...cool, sounds interesting.

I'm not really too concerned about all this. I was really just caught a little off guard when the EITMS kicked in. I wasn't too far from home - where my Power Vision was - so I headed back & plugged it in to see what the temp was.

It just made me curious about what temp range is considered "normal", ya know? Naturally, the owners & shop manuals say nothing about what's normal, lol...

Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

sending it via PM- this is why I'm experimenting with a bit richer AFR to help lower temps while riding in town. economy AFR ratios will run hotter.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NSR
His website says his fans won't fit Breakouts. Does he have a solution that's not on the site yet?
I missed the note on there, but it isn't applicable to mine as the CVO's have a different coil location, traditional horn mount, and no key ignition.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 PM
azrchrd
Intermediate

Only had the bike for a week, and I'm gonna take my time making her "mine" Made a couple small upgrades, and have a bunch of parts coming in the mail. Just finished reading all 267 pages of this thread, got plenty of great ideas for the bike, thanks guys!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:13 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by azrchrd
Only had the bike for a week, and I'm gonna take my time making her "mine" Made a couple small upgrades, and have a bunch of parts coming in the mail. Just finished reading all 267 pages of this thread, got plenty of great ideas for the bike, thanks guys!
Nice ride brother- that is my fav color next to my custom paint job . Mine was black originally. Have fun modding and ask a lot of questions - very helpful group of members here and we were all brand new Breakout owners at one point.

FYI- the Free Shipping special on orders over $149 at Surdyke.com ends May 5th. So if you wanna buy the 40444-07 68T Sportster sprocket better get on it! I have not found it for a better price anywhere else, except for a couple of beat-up ones on fleabay.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-19-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Congrats on the bike Azrchrd. Looks nice. There's plenty of mods to do to them.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:11 PM
azrchrd
Intermediate
Default new risers

First major mod, 1.5" risers. Will post before and after pics. I'm 6'2", and want to keep the drag bars.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread