Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 08shelbyss
I'm changing the tank emblems on my bike, after getting them off what have you guys found works to remove the left over glue on the tank from the emblem? I really don't want to scratch the paint.

Thanks for any help
Automotive bug and tar remover and a soft microfiber cloth. You can use "goof off" in the tin can but wash it off with water after. it is paint safe as long as you don't just leave it on there and it takes that residue off quickly. Use goof off with a soft paper towel, then wash it off with some water, then finish up with some paint cleaner or rubbing compound on a microfiber cloth.

Sure you can do the thumb rubbing but if there is any dust at all on the glue or your thumb, you'll have surface paint abrasions. Although a little swirl mark remover / buffing compound on a microfiber cloth takes those light abrasions right off. My favorite is the 3M Fine Cut compound in the small black bottle, if you can find it.

To remove badges I use a heat gun on low setting, warm up the badge really good (as if it were say, sitting out in the summer desert heat), then use some string dental floss to saw through the adhesive behind it. the "tape floss" usually leaves surface scratches as does fishing line. but the badges come off pretty easy once warmed up. I use either goof off or bug/tar remover on any residue, then rinse with water, then buff with compound on a microfiber cloth, then wax. Same process works for the ugly reflectors

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-21-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jtaliani
Alright, I have to speak up to anyone running a basic tune on their bike. I have been running a Fuel Moto tune since I did the exhaust. I thought the bike ran okay and there was definitely an improvement over the stock tune. I didn't think there was much more a tune could do, but didn't think the bike was living up to its full potential. Thanks to help from LA Dog, I was able to source a more performance based tune to try out. I took her for a quick spin and my mind is blown. I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference a good tune can make. This truly feels like I had major engine work done. I now can proudly say I have a 110!
Really glad to hear you had such dramatic and good results. All the credit should go to the tuner- He made the magic happen for you.

So what you just discovered is the diff between a canned tune (DJ, FM) and a tune which is more skillfully set up based on years of tuning knowledge and engine building experience.

I found that out for myself last week

Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Really glad to hear you had such dramatic and good results. All the credit should go to the tuner- He made the magic happen for you.
I definitely agree and am indebted to the tuner for his amazing work. He is unquestionably a stand-up guy and I couldn't be more impressed with the tune, especially since it was a "from spec" build. He clearly knows his stuff.

That being said, I still appreciate all of your help

Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad to have helped- just keep the shiny side up ok?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

ok so here is the result of my "ol lady backrest" modification- I took a Deuce backrest kit and a Kuryakyn plug-n-play bracket for HD, and cut / welded them together, sanded off the chrome and hit with primer + gloss black lacquer. I cut the Deuce backrest pad down to a mini size and had it recovered with some matching grain leather. it's pretty solid, the ol lady likes it, does not look to horrible either. PS if you notice the three chrome bolts on the back and the one black bolt, I'm just trying to decide whether I want chrome or black bolts in the back. Maybe I'll get a "WillieG" skull logo or something to fill up the blank space on rear of backrest.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-22-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks good. I think the bolts look good black. I have to get some kind of back rest and seat for the wife eventually. I sat on that seat and it's like sitting on a brick.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a seat shop re-stuff it with nice gel memory foam, a bit extra in the middle and towards rear, plus they widened the foam about 1.5"- the stock cover fits back on no prob. if you look close the seat cushion is about 1" taller than normal. wifee likes it.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 AM
zk1
3rd Gear

I think it looks great, nice work.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Tyler13
Novice

I really like the looks of your backrest. It looks nice with your bike. The HD one that I have is to bulky. Maybe I'll try your setup. Go with the black bolts and definitely get a Willie G. skull to complete the look. Nice job.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks- yeh I hated the look of the regular HD setup, and I don't want a 12" chopper sissy bar. I'm still shocked that HD has not come out with something nicer for the Breakout. I put some basic instructions on making this in this forum somewhere- i'll dig it up and post the link.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread