Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
... okay here's a dumb question.

Asked earlier about adding a Breakout to my Sportster for something different, but I didn't realize quite how stretched out the rider is. I'm only 5'6 (yeah.) and was wondering if the reduced reach seat and some different bars would make it comfortable for me?
I guess reduced reach seat and handlebar will allow you to have a comfortable riding position. Handlebar in particular, which is the CVO one, will pull back the grips of some inches...

Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 AM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
... okay here's a dumb question.

Asked earlier about adding a Breakout to my Sportster for something different, but I didn't realize quite how stretched out the rider is. I'm only 5'6 (yeah.) and was wondering if the reduced reach seat and some different bars would make it comfortable for me?
Do one at a time.

I got the Danny Gray Reduced Reach seat AND the HD Beachbars, but the seat alone fixed my problem.

If I do decide to fit the Beachbars, I'll have to go back to the standard seat.
HTH

Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 AM
sothai
Tourer

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
So I've been messing around with the PV-2 tuner and learning how the Delphi system works with the various tuning parameters. I understand tuning in general but am green as can be in regards to tables and parameters in the Delphi system and WinPV.

A very nice, knowledgeable member on the forums here who makes his living as a tuner has given me some fundamental guidance a custom tune to use. The canned tunes that came with the PV2 for 2012+ Softail 103 were pretty bad, and even though they are named differently (SE and Rinehart pipes tune vs the SE and VH pipes tune) they are all the same exact tune files. That's pretty bad IMO. I put on the canned SE + VH tune and bike was poppier and doggier vs the previous tune put on by the dealer. It did give a bit more low end TQ but just faded out and felt weak at mid to upper rpms. gave a lot of decel popping and a few good 'bangs' on throttle roll off shift. I did find a quick fix for this by going into the PV2's "Quick Tune" menu, Tweaks, and setting "Decel Fuel" to +10%, and "Decel Spark" to +3 degrees. That eliminated all decel popping and roll off bang. Great!! But the overall canned tune still sucked as far as power.

The first custom tune sent to me by the member here was very good and was noticeably better - Stronger smooth pull and good hp from midrange to upper rpms, bike felt more responsive. I just needed a bit more TQ down low (as compared to the canned tune) and a bit more fix on the throttle roll-off pop around 4k rpm (as compared to my adjusting Decel Fuel and Decel Spark with the canned tune).

For my comparing of tunes, after a run with this custom tune I switched back to the canned PV tune file for SE + VH pipes (with the Quick Tune tweaks for Decel Fuel and Decel Spark), rode same stretch of road, then switched back to the custom tune, did the same stretch of road, to really feel the differences / grab logging data and make final notes.
I sent back some data logging for review along with my observations of riding on the custom tune, and the member kindly sent me back an updated tune and killer explanation of tech details on changes made.

So I'll be out riding today on the updated revised custom tune that was sent to me this morning, if the tune rides well I can post it up if anyone else is interested in taking a look at it in their WinPV or trying it out as an alternate tune. I'm sure there are a lot of other BO owners here with stock motor and just the SE intake + VH Big Radius 2-2 pipes like mine.
I'm having a similar problem here.

I'd really appreciate a copy of that tune. I'm running V&H Straightshots HS slip-ons with an Arlen ness Big Sucker.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Pointman SQ8
Stage III
Default Hello from the newb..

Long time reader, new member, new poster, and new Breakout owner. Some truly amazing Breakouts!!!! Pic's to follow in hopefully a weeks time after some minor modes to the new ride. Thank you for all the work you guys have put in, again truly an amazing amount of info and ideas!

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Congrats on the Breakout and welcome. Indeed, this thread and forum where very helpful when I bought mine.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats - Have fun putting the bike together. Lots of great ideas in this forum.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the "make you spend more money" forum.

Michael

Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser

Alright, I have to speak up to anyone running a basic tune on their bike. I have been running a Fuel Moto tune since I did the exhaust. I thought the bike ran okay and there was definitely an improvement over the stock tune. I didn't think there was much more a tune could do, but didn't think the bike was living up to its full potential. Thanks to help from LA Dog, I was able to source a more performance based tune to try out. I took her for a quick spin and my mind is blown. I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference a good tune can make. This truly feels like I had major engine work done. I now can proudly say I have a 110!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
08shelbyss
3rd Gear
Default Tank Emblem

I'm changing the tank emblems on my bike, after getting them off what have you guys found works to remove the left over glue on the tank from the emblem? I really don't want to scratch the paint.

Thanks for any help

Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 08shelbyss
I'm changing the tank emblems on my bike, after getting them off what have you guys found works to remove the left over glue on the tank from the emblem? I really don't want to scratch the paint.

Thanks for any help

Your thumbs...just rub the stuff off. It'll take a while. Do it out in the sun - that'll help a little. You can try soaking the foam residue/adhesive with a surface cleaner/wax & grease remover. You can get a bottle of that stuff from a body shop supply outfit. Spraying the residue with WD-40 helped too. Spray the WD-40 into a soft rag - soak it - then put the rag over the area to be cleaned for a few minutes. If you use WD-40, clean the tank with the wax & grease remover and another soft cloth when you're done.

Then wax the tank a few times.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread