Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sothai
Not much point having an email contact then. That and/or they need more staff.

Depending on where they are in the USA, I am 11-15 hours ahead, which makes calling difficult.
LOL- being in technology myself, I completely agree with you. Keep in mind though, most of these places are pretty "old school" - they like doing things the old way, and many of them don't have much staff- especially technical staff- maybe one or two guys who are always busy. You just have to contact them on their level, which is typically via phone. You'll find this common for most shops from suspension to head work to cam shaft makers.

Hiring more staff is not necessarily better. most of the places that hire staff to answer emails hire low-dollar workers who can only send canned responses and are not able to discuss anything detailed or meaningful.

welcome to the world of aftermarket performance parts.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jtaliani
That is a great looking bike, but holy cow, $5k for that paint job! I haven't priced a full paint job, but that seems high.
Yeh- The bike looks done up very nicely, almost as nice as the SSR - But doubt they'll get $25k for that bike, and $5k paint? umm, really?- unless it's some spoiled rich Saudi kid deciding to spend his weekly allowance. lol

Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sothai
Anyone fitted the Primo Rivera LED headlight?

I'm looking for info about how to wire up the integrated turn signals please.
I bought and returned one. It's hardly any brighter than the Osram 65/55W halogen bulb. The Daymaker does better due to the projectors over the LEDs by concentrating the output, the Primo / Trucklite relies on reflecting like a halogen lamp. My bud has the Daymaker on his Glide and there is *no* comparison on light throw- Daymaker hands down.

If you want to do a reflected LED, get one of the 60w / 80w single H4 CREE LED bulbs from ebay. they are about $50 each. only problem with those is getting one that has a smaller rear fan so it will fit in the shallow stock bucket. This is a next project on my list. I put two of the 80w LEDs in my nissan frontier (9007 bases) and holy **** they are bright as F@#% - for $100.

That said- I thought the integrated turns were cool on the Rivera unit, especially since I yanked the stock turns off the bars. Maybe I'll go with the fork ring led turns- but I have issue with paying $100 for $5 worth of LEDs in a plastic ring.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-26-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSR
I recently put this light on my bike. 24V is correct about the Harley wiring. Primo is correct about the wiring that comes with the light. The wires they include are long enough to reach the plug under the tank.

If you do not want to splice into the Harley plug you will need a few parts from Harley Davidson in order to complete the job - the other side of the plug, a few connectors and the crimping tool to put it all together. I do not have those part numbers. I did something a little different. I used to be into automotive electronics. I had another style of plug handy (both sides), so I cut the Harley plug off and wired my own plug in. I wired the Primo wiring into the other side of the plug. Done. I can't imagine ever having to un-plug that plug ever again, but if I have to I can.

I wired mine as "signals only" - no more front running lights. I figured that the white LED's would just drown the amber LED's out anyhow, so why bother? With the headlight LED's on, the signal LED's are bright enough. You can see them flashing.

One glitch I should mention ... when the signals are activated, the indicator in the speedo flashes fast - like it would for a blown incandescent bulb. The signals themselves flash at a normal rate.

Last year I switched all my 1157's over to LED's from Custom Dynamics. The same thing happened with the indicators back then. Somehow, I was able to reset the bike. For the life of me, now I cannot remember how to reset the bike so the indicators flash normally. I'm certain I found the info here on the forum. No dice now, lol......

Buy the plug parts at any HD dealer for about $5 - super easy.

Alternate lighting plug under right side gas tank (fits all HD's it is not Breakout-specific:
The connector housing is part # 73156-96BK - about $2
The pins that go on each wire are part # 73191-96 - you'll need four pins - About $1 per pin

You'll have to drill a 5/16" hole in rear of bucket to route the turn signal wires and use a 5/16" rubber ring grommet. you can get the grommet at radio shack or auto parts store. some black heat shrink tube slid over the wires coming out of bucket finishes it off nicely.

You don;t have to pull the tank to get to plug- it is right behind the rubber gasket forward of right side tank. pull the gasket flap away and you'll see the narrow connector socket sitting there. use a multimeter to see which pins are hot and ground when the signals are flashing. there are three pins per side- left ground / running light + / turn + on one side of the connector, and same on the other side of connector. For example, you want to hook up the left turn LED black wire from the Rivera to the left ground on the HD plug (black wire), and red wire from the Rivera LED to the left turn + on the HD plug (purple wire). Same for the right LED. The Rivera I received had red / black wires for LEDs, but if yours are black/white, the white will be positive.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-26-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Buy the plug parts at any HD dealer for about $5 - super easy.

Alternate lighting plug under right side gas tank (fits all HD's it is not Breakout-specific:
The connector housing is part # 73156-96BK - about $2
The pins that go on each wire are part # 73191-96 - you'll need four pins - About $1 per pin

You'll have to drill a 5/16" hole in rear of bucket to route the turn signal wires and use a 5/16" rubber ring grommet. you can get the grommet at radio shack or auto parts store. some black heat shrink tube slid over the wires coming out of bucket finishes it off nicely.

You don;t have to pull the tank to get to plug- it is right behind the rubber gasket forward of right side tank. pull the gasket flap away and you'll see the narrow connector socket sitting there. use a multimeter to see which pins are hot and ground when the signals are flashing. there are three pins per side- left ground / running light + / turn + on one side of the connector, and same on the other side of connector. For example, you want to hook up the left turn LED black wire from the Rivera to the left ground on the HD plug, and red wire from the Rivera to the left turn + on the HD plug. Same for the right LED.

I've already completed the installation on my bike, but thanks for the HD part numbers. That'll be helpful to other folks. In addition to the parts, you'll need the crimping tool. I did use some shrink tube to keep it looking neat. I replaced the black HD bucket with a chromed duplicate.

I haven't ridden the bike at night yet, so I can't comment on it's brightness vs the factory light. Truth be told, I didn't think the HD light sucked too badly. Maybe I'm easy to please, lol....

FWIW, I chose this light because I wanted to clean up the bars a little by ditching the HD signals but still have some kind of signal up front. The Primo LED seemed like the cleanest way to get there.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSR
I've already completed the installation on my bike, but thanks for the HD part numbers. That'll be helpful to other folks. In addition to the parts, you'll need the crimping tool. I did use some shrink tube to keep it looking neat. I replaced the black HD bucket with a chromed duplicate.

I haven't ridden the bike at night yet, so I can't comment on it's brightness vs the factory light. Truth be told, I didn't think the HD light sucked too badly. Maybe I'm easy to please, lol....

FWIW, I chose this light because I wanted to clean up the bars a little by ditching the HD signals but still have some kind of signal up front. The Primo LED seemed like the cleanest way to get there.
Yeh- I was more posting up the info for anyone else reading the thread. I agree- the Rivera is a slick way to get turns back. I only wish the light throw was better and I would have been sold on it. For me, turn signals are low on my list. I never depend on them, ever. I always use hand signals and lots of looking before going. Drivers don't pay attention to **** here in LA, they sure as heck don't see motorcycles let alone the small turn signals. I do however make sure my brake light is as bright as possible. For the Breakout, I used red 1157 LEDs and clear lenses with the honeycomb on them- the honeycomb magnifies the LED output and it's very visible day or night. Red LEDs with clear lenses are the brightest combo.

Lense info for Breakout: Biker's Choice 163082 RPLCMNT HNYCMB CIRCLE LENS CLR - SKU: B47-163082 - I got them cheap at www.cycleplicity.com -they are a direct OE fit

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-26-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

btw you don't need the crimp tool for the pins, use needle nose to fold the pin tabs tightly onto the wire, then a slight bit of solder. I've found that works immensely better on bikes. If you crimp too tight it breaks the wire strands, too loose and they come out or get corrosion on the surface of the wire and lose contact. a bit of solder never fails. Of course if you put too much solder the pins won't lock into the plug.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM
^][^Night^Friend^][^
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Breakout FXSB Front Fork Tube Covers

Hi, everyone, While I was browsing the net looking for Upper Tube Covers for BREAKOUT, I found this photo of some custom FXSB Breakout Bike. However, I need to inquire if anyone has tried covering the upper tube of the fork similar to the one in the attached pic? I am looking for black covers for my breakout front fork tubes?

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-1.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ^][^Night^Friend^][^
Hi, everyone, While I was browsing the net looking for Upper Tube Covers for BREAKOUT, I found this photo of some custom FXSB Breakout Bike. However, I need to inquire if anyone has tried covering the upper tube of the fork similar to the one in the attached pic? I am looking for black covers for my breakout front fork tubes?
Yeh those are called "Fork tube Gaiters" - you'll find them on ebay. you have to pull the fork tubes to put them on. I think they look kinda cool but I'm too lazy to pull my forks out just to do this. I might change my upper fork tubes to those from the FXDWG - they are 1.5" longer, which would give me a tad more ground clearance for cornering. At that point I'd probably throw on the Gaiters. If I don't like them, they come off with a razor blade.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-26-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 PM
^][^Night^Friend^][^
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Yeh those are called "Fork tube Gaiters" - you'll find them on ebay. you have to pull the fork tubes to put them on. I think they look kinda cool but I'm too lazy to pull my forks out just to do this. I might change my upper fork tubes to those from the FXDWG - they are 1.5" longer, which would give me a tad more ground clearance for cornering. At that point I'd probably throw on the Gaiters. If I don't like them, they come off with a razor blade.
Thanks indeed for the quick reply! I just need to ensure they are fitting? There are to many gaiters out there, but could not find any special ones for FXSB? The fron fork is 49mm not sure if Dyna ones fit tho!

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread