Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey LA Dog. Did you already sell your front wheel?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by asputin
Hey LA Dog. Did you already sell your front wheel?
Never had it- I bought the bike from the original owner when it had like 600 miles on it. owner had sold the front wheel, front rotor and exhaust to offset the costs of upgrades. I see stock front wheels come up a lot on fleabay though.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM
youraemoo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24v

I apologize in advance if you have answered this question before but I tired to find the answer but I couldnt. I was wondering what was the headlight you originally had, the one showing in the first pic in this thread, before you got the dual headlight?

Originally Posted by 24v
Ok, let's make this thread the place to post about anything having to do with the Softail Breakout. Maybe you just bolted on a sweet new part and you want to show it off? Can't find the part your looking for? Need a little advice on what looks best on a Breakout?

This can be the place we discuss it. I'll post a pic just to get the thread going.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:51 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 382 Posts

Stock headlight housing with Harley Daymaker, and Harley chrome visor powder coated black.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
Stock headlight housing with Harley Daymaker, and Harley chrome visor powder coated black.
Hmm. It's amazing how much better and different it looks with the visor blacked out. You'd almost think it was one of those $400 aftermarket buckets. I might do that as well. I've read a lot of your posts here and at another site, you've done some very nice stuff to your BO, IMHO it is one of the better examples of creative customization done right. The dual headlight was pretty slick as well.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, glad you like it. I can't decide if I should paint the bike or not. Kind of at a spot where there isn't really anything else I want different.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

So here is my current crazy project- A "Stealth" under-seat mounted passenger backrest. sits on the fender and the pillion sits on top of it. This one is purely driven by the missus. I'm trying to be accommodating while not putting a big ugly *** pair of HD strut mounted sissy bar brackets.

I talked to Danny Gray about making a 2-up seat with an integrated low-boy (Vrod height) sissy bar out the back of the rear seat, but they weren't having it. so it's up to me to try this and see if I cam make it safe, functional and a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

I loosely checked fitment and the BO pillion seat has a bit of a tunnel on the underside. this tunnel will fit over the bracket without putting much pressure on it/ the pillion seat will still fasten as normal in the front and rear locations. The bracket will fasten up front under the driver seat bolts, driver seat sits on top of bracket, pillion slips into driver seat bolts as normal.

The rear vertical of backrest wraps up behind the pillion and there is a slot in the Deuce bracket so the rear pillion seat bolt can be fastened. this should provide a good 3-point secure mount for both seat and bracket.

As for the underside of the bracket, it rests on the fender. I will line it with some 3M sticky thin foam or sticky felt. I can also use some Venture Shield clear protector on the fender itself if I'm over paranoid- Actually I will probably do that because it will show me any pressure spots. But once I'm done with this it should not be any harder on the fender paint than the stock pillion is.

I am having the parts butt welded today at a local shop (Ed's Welding in Van Nuys, great guy). I will probably have the stock Deuce seat pad cut a bit slimmer to mimic the shape of the upper backrest.

Pics of parts involved:

More coming as this progresses... I know it's hard to really see the concept from these pics.

Originally Posted by 24v
Thanks, glad you like it. I can't decide if I should paint the bike or not. Kind of at a spot where there isn't really anything else I want different.
I dunno brother- I like the paint, it is different than everyone elses' with the black theme on top of it.

Did u see this custom Breakout on ebay for sale? The graphic design is pretty trick. I could see that working in different color schemes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=161642733519

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-04-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Bravo- That is exactly what a good chart should look like. You have the TQ off like a bomb from the get go, then as RPM's increase the HP builds to continue the thrill ride.

The cam selection was A+ - but, it is not just the cam here making all the magic- it is all about how the heads, ports, quench, etc were set up to be optimal for this cam. Dropping this cam in a stock motor without doing anything else would not yield the same results. You can get this type of chart with other similar cams as long as the motor is optimal for that particular cam. In short if you want this type of dyno result, you have to build the motor for the cam. The cam grind can only tell you what it is capable of doing if everything else is built to make the most of it.

[EDIT]Oh wait -crap- you had the blow up and repair (sorry - forgot) - so it sounds to me like you got damn lucky, they must have given you a bit more compression than "just bringing it to stock levels", maybe cleaned up the chamber bowls and unshrouded the valves? Otherwise you would not have those numbers. Damn good way to come out of it!

If you can, find out what your static compression is. What type of pipe you running? This will be helpful for anyone else with a fairly stock BO and considering the 57H cam.
That tq off the bottom is impressive. Ive went over probably 40 different 57 dyno sheets in the past, b and a motors and have never seen any with that tq so early. I guess heads and comp helped down low, but didnt show up in the top end. the op made out good being faced with his misfortune. Ive thought of bumping the comp and doin the heads but the gain per $ would be minimal. Here is a sheet for a different bolt in cam w/ o heads and comp. Ive thought briefly about the bump in comp And heads but the guys doing the heads said it would be a for a small gain. I think this 57 dyno proves that. I guess thats why they are marketed as bolt ins.
Ill edit in a sheet later

Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
I dunno brother- I like the paint, it is different than everyone elses' with the black theme on top of it.

Did u see this custom Breakout on ebay for sale? The graphic design is pretty trick. I could see that working in different color schemes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=161642733519
I would want something more of this style.
Name:  2-14.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  138.2 KB

That backrest is a cool idea. There is a company that makes something similar for the Breakout. I saw them on Facebook.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
I would want something more of this style.

That backrest is a cool idea. There is a company that makes something similar for the Breakout. I saw them on Facebook.
Hell yeh- go with the tribal / Polynesian theme. I'm from Hawaii originally and I've seen some sweet custom paint jobs along those lines from local paint artists.

for the bracket-yep the company is called "haulin ***" - I tried calling, emailing, for a few months. no reply. they are probably out of business. anyway the bracket by itself was $250 plus ship, and the backrest side was kind of ugly. Nothing for Breakout or softail but it looked like their touring bracket would fit with slight modification.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread