Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
there are a lot of pages i am still working through. has anyone fitted heated grips to their BO?
I'm using the Kuryakyn Heat Demons- They have 4 settings, and they work great. These actually sit inside the handlebars, and can work with any grips as far as I know.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24v
There really is no reason to go much richer than 14.whatever:1 during closed loop. Closed loop is only for part throttle driveability. Making it too rich in these areas will not make the bike run any better. Open loop is where you really need to use a wideband and tune it yourself. I do not have the pro autotune with the widebands for my PV. I would assume with that, you set your targeted afr for your open loop tuning.
For the PV
autotune basic adjusts to 14.6
Autotune pro adjusts to 13.0

So really with basic you're lean and pro you're rich.

Neither one is adjustable

It really seems manual adjusting is almost required after auto tuning with both fp3 and PV and auto tuning is really just getting you close to a base map. No way I'd want every cell the same regardless of afr.

The only reason I'm looking into this more now is because I'm thinking of doing a cam swap in the winter and wanted to see what my options are. I'll probably go dyno with what I'm learning about autotune. Plus I can do wide band

Last edited by Msmall; 08-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 AM
mp_2009
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default verticle plate mount???

Hoping someone can help me out with this. Ive been looking for a vertical license plate mount for about a month now and cant seem to find one, other then the cheesy terrible looking onee. Wondering where i can find a decent one thanks.
2014 Breakout

Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmall
For the PV
autotune basic adjusts to 14.6 In Closed Loop
Autotune pro adjusts to 13.0 In Open Loop
I fixed that for you. You do understand the difference between closed and open loop, and why you would want the bike richer in one over the other right? Those numbers seem like a great starting point to me.

What do you mean when you say "No way I'd want every cell the same regardless of afr."?

The reality is that auto tune is a great way for the average person to get their calibration very close to perfect. A good tuner can, and will, take it that extra step to make it flawless.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

The Progressive 422 RAP rear shock setup comes in different variants. Progressive says that they have not yet fitted a Breakout, so don't know what specific part number to recommend.

Anyone who has successfully fitted the 422 RAP to a Breakout, what specific part number did you successfully fit? And, was that the "standard" or "Heavy duty" spring rate?

Jim G

Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The Progressive 422 RAP rear shock setup comes in different variants. Progressive says that they have not yet fitted a Breakout, so don't know what specific part number to recommend.

Anyone who has successfully fitted the 422 RAP to a Breakout, what specific part number did you successfully fit? And, was that the "standard" or "Heavy duty" spring rate?

Jim G
What are the differences?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 24v
What are the differences?
There are 2 types of potential differences:

1. Dimensional: The Breakout uses a different frame than a standard Softail - some say it is identical or nearly identical to a Rocker, but HD says the Breakout is set up to handle more suspension movement upward, since it comes from the factory "lowered', and HD needed to make up some of that loss of suspension travel.

2. Spring rate: There are different versions of the 422 RAP with different spring rates for different combinations of weight of bike, rider, and other loads (passenger, luggage). For example, the Progressive rep told me that IF the Breakout had the same suspension dimensions as the standard Softail, and given my rider weight with safety gear of 235 lb, and given that I carry a passenger only very seldom, he said he would recommend the 422-4104C, which is the "standard" (less stiff) spring version. There is a 422-4102C (again this is for the standard Softail) that has a "heavy duty" (stiffer) spring. Yes, the preload is adjustable on the RAP but basic spring rate on the spring is a separate issue.

The Progressive sales rep refused to make a recommendation, since he has not had a Breakout in to examine and fit for both dimensional fit and for spring rate.

Jim G

Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

The Breakout uses the same rear shock as the Blackline. I randomly searched through other Softail models and did not find another matching part number.
As for the Breakout having more travel, there is a different bumpstop on the frame than the Rocker. The other Softails have a thinner bumpstop as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

As for dimensional fit, the shocks will definitely bolt right in. As for spring rate, the Breakout has to be at least a little heavier than most other Softails due to the wider parts. I bet it isn't much though.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Thanks 24V for all that useful info, which I am sure will help others too!

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread