Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I thought. I'm going to look into it more. But I am only interested in one that lets me set my own afr by each cell individually.

FYI...from previous convos with Vance and Hines the fp3 is set at 14.4 across all cells and I don't recall it being adjustable at all. If I recall correctly you could run autotune and then adjust cells to lean or rich, but if you ran autotune again it would set them all back to 14.4 Just another reason why I hate the hype of that thing.

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
There are at least 4 different answers to your question:

Some auto tuners have a fixed target AFR of 14.7 (not great for performance, and causes a HARLEY engine to run a little hotter than we like, but would keep the engine "California compliant" I suppose).

Some auto tuners have a fixed target AFR that is more performance oriented, like 13.5 for example.

Some auto tuners allow you to set your own target AFR.

The best ones allow you to set the target AFR by cell or range.

Don't ask me which currently available models do what. Since I prefer a human tuner using a dyno, I don't know which auto tuners take what approach.

Jim G

Last edited by Msmall; 08-25-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

There really is no reason to go much richer than 14.whatever:1 during closed loop. Closed loop is only for part throttle driveability. Making it too rich in these areas will not make the bike run any better. Open loop is where you really need to use a wideband and tune it yourself. I do not have the pro autotune with the widebands for my PV. I would assume with that, you set your targeted afr for your open loop tuning.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM
BMM48
Tourer

Unrelated to all the recent discussions but just venting that I had to go and change my Breakout order again this morning after seeing the first shots of the radioactive green... Back to the original plan of Charcoal Pearl....

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMM48
Unrelated to all the recent discussions but just venting that I had to go and change my Breakout order again this morning after seeing the first shots of the radioactive green... Back to the original plan of Charcoal Pearl....
Nice choice. Green is cool too, but that Charcoal sure looks nice.

Go to the website, go to Breakout, then click on the tab for "parts and customization".... they show a charcoal grey one that is beautiful !

Sadly, my funds stopped me in my tracks on a BO. But, I will be back....

Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
If you truly understand what you are doing, either method will get you there.
Which is exactly what I've been saying. Is there an echo in here.

Originally Posted by Msmall
Relax bro. First, your coming after 2 guys in 24v and Jim that know their **** and are helpful around here.

I know tuning and haven't heard it referenced as "zero" anything so it wasn't obvious. Also, auto tuning and gathering data "data logging" aren't always one and the same. Most racing applications would not auto tune. they would data log, then a person would review the data and adjust the map.

Working off a canned tune doesn't make a tuner lazy, it makes them efficient. Why would I want to pay a guy to start from scratch on a dyno when I have a typical setup that he's already built custom tunes for a 1000 times over? Start with the closest one you've got and tweak.
I don't need to relax Im fine. Your first mistake is trying to interpret my mood by reading text on a screen. Your second mistake is saying you know tuning then assuming you know everything about it. And Im not coming after anybody. This is a public forum are we not allowed to debate or question someone's post? Im simply stating there are different trains of thought and ways to tune and not just the one single way like Jim stated. The term auto tuning is used in a broad way and not necessarily meant as "auto tuning" so I apologize I should have said auto tuning / data logging. There are only a handful of tuners who's auto tuning feature tune in real time. Most of them log the data then you review the data and apply the changes the tuner came up with. Its still technically the same thing just the process is different.

Just a little friendly debate guys no need to gang up on someone when they question something you say. I thought the days of post count seniority were long gone. I guess not

Last edited by jgos929; 08-26-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

there are a lot of pages i am still working through. has anyone fitted heated grips to their BO?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 AM
BMM48
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2807
Nice choice. Green is cool too, but that Charcoal sure looks nice.

Go to the website, go to Breakout, then click on the tab for "parts and customization".... they show a charcoal grey one that is beautiful !

Sadly, my funds stopped me in my tracks on a BO. But, I will be back....
For sure, that is the photo that sold it for me...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgos929
Which is exactly what I've been saying. Is there an echo in here.
Nope, just inside your head apparently.

Originally Posted by jgos929
Just a little friendly debate guys no need to gang up on someone when they question something you say. I thought the days of post count seniority were long gone. I guess not
I'm not ganging up on anyone. Just clarifying your vague statements. I enjoy a good debate from time to time, but there really isn't one here. Some here have calibrated engine management systems, and others have looked over the shoulder of the guy doing it. Either way, we all have a decent knowledge of what is going on, just different opinions on how to get it done.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BMM48
Good call, I wish they would have kept the regular graphics with the green. That bs they put on there ruined it for me.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM
wavesnwheels
Cruiser

Doh! Trust me to buy mine in the year of the most boring colours. Although that green is a bit too bright for my tastes.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread