Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 AM
BlueGhost1963
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Generally, if you do not intend to hire a human tuner to build a tune using the device, you find and download a suitable tune from either the Power Vision website or somewhere else.

Even a pro human tuner starts with a downloaded or saved-from-previous- bikes-tuned tune, and then dials it in cell by cell using a dyno (each cell is the intersection of a throttle % setting and an engine rpm, in a fuel table). You could simulate that at least roughly by adding an auto tuner module, but I keep hearing from some very experienced tuners that an auto tuner simply cannot yet match what a truly experienced human tuner can do.

I didn't want to try to teach myself to tune a Harley, as I have only this ONE TIME need for the skill set! So, I paid a world class human tuner, Mike Lozano, to tune my Breakout, using the PV2 as the access tool to do so. Mike is experienced on both the HD Super Tuner Pro and the PV (and a while bunch of car tuners), but prefers the PV. I consider the money I spent with Mike to be the BEST investment I have made on my motorcycle.

The PV also makes it easier to later make changes, like correcting the speedometer after you change the primary or final gear ratios.

Jim G

This is great advice, I guess my best bet is to try and find a human tuner in my area that works with the PV2 and go from there. thanks for all your help.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

BlueGhost1963, if you buy the PV from Fuel Moto, they will provide you with a good starting map, and will also help you get your bike tuned and running well. They have exceptional customer service, and there really is no need to have someone else do the work.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 AM
BlueGhost1963
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 24v
BlueGhost1963, if you buy the PV from Fuel Moto, they will provide you with a good starting map, and will also help you get your bike tuned and running well. They have exceptional customer service, and there really is no need to have someone else do the work.

thanks, do you have a link for them or a number? would rather do it myself and learn.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:00 AM
BlueGhost1963
Intermediate

I found the site, thanks....

Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM
FUNKHSR
Stage I

PLEASE let me know how to get those duel daymakers on my FXSB! Currently running the 2014 single headlight, but really like your look. Any details on how I might do that on mine??
Looks GREAT!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Even a pro human tuner starts with a downloaded or saved-from-previous- bikes-tuned tune, and then dials it in cell by cell using a dyno (each cell is the intersection of a throttle % setting and an engine rpm, in a fuel table). You could simulate that at least roughly by adding an auto tuner module, but I keep hearing from some very experienced tuners that an auto tuner simply cannot yet match what a truly experienced human tuner can do
The 1st part of this comment is simply not accurate. While a lot of tuners do build "custom" maps that way a lot of them also start out with a zero map and run through each cell at a given throttle percentage/rpm value to create a truly custom map and then go in and tweak those values. Think about it, how did Dynojet, Bazzaz, Screaming Eagle etc etc create those initial maps for the world to use??????????????? The 2nd part of your comment again isn't exactly accurate either. True the professional tuner will get it more accurate than an auto tuner at that given time and in those specific conditions but what happens when the season changes and the weather gets cooler or hotter or you're riding in a different elevation for instance etc etc. What about wind velocity??? A bike on a dyno in some 100* shop somewhere with a shop fan blowing on it simply cant match the conditions you find traveling 70mph out on the open road. Unless you get your bike dyno tuned constantly to adjust for different conditions and have multiple "custom" maps you can jump back and forth to then an auto tuner is a very good instrument to have and can very well supplement for a true as you call it human tuner.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 401 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
The 1st part of this comment is simply not accurate. While a lot of tuners do build "custom" maps that way a lot of them also start out with a zero map and run through each cell at a given throttle percentage/rpm value to create a truly custom map and then go in and tweak those values. Think about it, how did Dynojet, Bazzaz, Screaming Eagle etc etc create those initial maps for the world to use??????????????? The 2nd part of your comment again isn't exactly accurate either. True the professional tuner will get it more accurate than an auto tuner at that given time and in those specific conditions but what happens when the season changes and the weather gets cooler or hotter or you're riding in a different elevation for instance etc etc. What about wind velocity??? A bike on a dyno in some 100* shop somewhere with a shop fan blowing on it simply cant match the conditions you find traveling 70mph out on the open road. Unless you get your bike dyno tuned constantly to adjust for different conditions and have multiple "custom" maps you can jump back and forth to then an auto tuner is a very good instrument to have and can very well supplement for a true as you call it human tuner.
You are grossly underestimating what a GOOD human tuner can do. And, I am no tuner, but I am telling you in my posting what 2 different world class bike and car tuners have told me.

First, Mike Lozano himself, a world class tuner (Google Lozano Brothers) will only ever use a preexisting tune (AS A START POINT ONLY) if it is one that HE himself has done and on an engine that is reasonably similar. If he does not have a riot tune on a reasonably similar engine, he builds one from scratch, and can do so in amazing time. To do mine, he had nothing close enough that he had done, so he started with a 110 cu.in tune (for my 103 engine with stage 4 race kit) that he downloaded, and he manually adjusted the tables before his initial runs to get into the right ballpark, and then fine tuned.

And as for auto tuners, the bike before my current bike was a Honda VTX 1800R. With the help of 2 separate well known tuners (Johnny Cheese and Micah Shoemaker), I compared what they could do compared to a Cobra auto tuning unit.

The Cobra got into the right approximate range, and could slowly indeed optimize the tuner reasonably well at steady state cruiser, but was unable to handle throttle and load changes quickly enough - it let the AFR drift off target a LOT under those conditions. The autotuner did do a good job of making about the same PEAK power at 100% throttle as the human tuners did, but we could not get it to control dynamic throttle and load changes acceptably.

We ended up concluding that the auto tuner was a fairly decent solution for someone who did not have convenient access to a human tuner with dyno, but the performance improvements that Micah made, especially at part throttle and low rpm, were very dramatic improvements over the auto tuner.

Jim G

Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgos929
a lot of them also start out with a zero map and run through each cell at a given throttle percentage/rpm value to create a truly custom map and then go in and tweak those values.
LOL, yeah right. Go zero out all the cells in your calibration and try to run the bike. LMAO

Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FUNKHSR
PLEASE let me know how to get those duel daymakers on my FXSB! Currently running the 2014 single headlight, but really like your look. Any details on how I might do that on mine??
Looks GREAT!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-dual-led.html

Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Hunter5179
Cruiser

Anyone know if a Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 R18 will fit with the stock rear fender and a 1.5 inch drop? The tire seems much wider.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread