Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance on open primary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 AM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maintenance on open primary?

I have always wanted an open primary, but was curious about maintenance. Those that have them, please let me know. This would be for my '13 CVO Breakout. Just realize I do put a decent amount of miles on a year. Wasn't sure if there were any issues I needed to be aware of if I take a trip from say PA to Sturgis? I mean can you ride like 500-600 miles in a day on one without any issues. And for those who will say they wouldn't ride that long on a Breakout, I already have. Just looking for answers or things to be aware of is all. Thanks.

Last edited by psdj52; 12-13-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 PM
psdj52
Tourer

Wow...No replies. I figured the ones with open belt drives would share.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

Patience grasshopper, it's Friday night and only 3 hours since you posted your question. The replies will come.

I don't run an open primary so I have nothing to give ya.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've wondered this myself. Tough to get quick answers on weekend nights around here lolol.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same questions as you, I ride like you do, and never really got a good answer yet myself.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 AM
No Torque
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's installed properly you can ride from coast to coast with out any issues, only issue I ever have with mine is getting my damn pant leg caught in the belt sometimes (only because I don't run a guard).

I've got a HARD 50k+ miles on my mine, I replaced the clutches almost two years ago. Haven't touched it since.

You'll get some weird looks from people at a stop light when your sitting next to them. Sounds like a bunch of nails in a paint can rattling around. That's half the fun right there.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

They are kinda' neat. Ran one (3" Primo ((I believe,)) on a 93" PanHead without issue. Though with my long legs I never had a "pants issue" I regularly sliced the the heel of my boot on the front pulley a little with the forward controls.

The whole thing is just for looks IMO unless you're running it on the weekend drags and need quick access to the clutch perhaps.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:11 PM
psdj52
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
They are kinda' neat. Ran one (3" Primo ((I believe,)) on a 93" PanHead without issue. Though with my long legs I never had a "pants issue" I regularly sliced the the heel of my boot on the front pulley a little with the forward controls.

The whole thing is just for looks IMO unless you're running it on the weekend drags and need quick access to the clutch perhaps.
I do agree it is a looks thing. But those looks are what makes it great. Thanks for the responses so far. Was thinking of the BDL or PM Machine units.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 PM
HDOakley
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a Ultra Intimidator 300 for six years. It had an open primary (BDL 3") with an SS 113. Bike had tremendous power in all six gear.

As for the primary, Nothing, Notta. Check the belt for cracks and ensure the belt doesn't walk left/right. If it does then you will have problems. Open primaries are great. As some have mention pant legs can get caught. My bike was a chopper so the back of my boot sometimes rubbed.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Allan Kennedy
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open primary

I run a 3" primo set up on my 09 Rocker and there have be no issues. Check the belt regularly for cracks but besides that ride on!

The following users liked this post:
j33ptj (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Maintenance on open primary?