Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dynojet power commander cold start problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM
solidaxle
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dynojet power commander cold start problems

Besides the intro post this is my first one. Like the title says The bike will not start cold with the power commander installed. If I remove it from the equation and plug in the stock ECM it fires right up. To me it's obvious that the power commander is at fault. I've talked to Dynojet three times trying to diagnose the problem and sent the unit back to be checked out and have it reflashed with the newer software. They returned it and said it was fine. It still will not start cold, once warmed up it runs fine.

Here's my bike
1550 pistons
257 cams
slipon V/H straight shots
S.E. air cleaner element
Custom Power Commander tune

Here's what I have tried

Recovered the settings to my laptop with a USB cord plug into the unit.
Bring the battery to full charge.
Tested the battery for for strenght.
Push in the compression releases, try starting before fuel pump shuts off. Did the same with the fuel pump off and engine light off.
Check the crank sensor-clean as a whisle.
Removed the head light fuse, so to relive the battery drain when starting.

It cranks for a while, then I stop to give the starter a break and try again. When I hear the starter starting to drain down the battery,I switch over to the stock ECM and it will fire right up, even when the battery is on it's last legs.

I found out some 06's had problems with the 8 degree fuel injectors and there was a service bulletin to change them to the 22 degree ones. Mine has not been changed.
I'm wondering if the PC does not work well with the stock injectors? Anybody else have this problem?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM
wildman926
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try starting right away BEFORE the pump is primed, and your dash lights go out. Here is a note about this at powercommander.com

"I am having trouble starting the engine when the Power Commander is installed.

Most Power Commanders are powered by the injectors on the bike. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump gets power and primes the fuel circuit. When this happens, the injectors get power, and the Power Commander also gets power and lights up. After a few moments, the fuel pump has pressurized the system, and usually shuts off. If the fuel pump shuts off, the injectors’ loose power, and the Power Commander shuts off. If you attempt to start the bike when the Power Commander is off, the bike may take longer to start than normal, until the fuel pump comes back on. The fuel pump may come on instantly, after a few engine revolutions, or on some bikes seemingly not at all. If the fuel pump does not come on, the bike will not start. We recommend starting the bike once you turn the key on. Do not wait for the fuel pump to shut off, or a check engine light to go out. "

Here is the link, HTH -

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...r_faqs.aspx#64

Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM
solidaxle
Stage IV

I did try to start the bike before the fuel pump shut off. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my post.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM
solidaxle
Stage IV

Anybody else??