Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Idle, Gauges Going Out, and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Freelander
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Racing Idle, Gauges Going Out, and Check Engine Light

Hi everyone,

Im hoping someone can help me with this issue. It started about 3 months ago but has only really become worse in the last couple of weeks.

I have an '03 Deuce with a little over 30K on the odometer which I bought used in March. This is the only issue I have had with the bike so far so I feel pretty lucky

About 3 months ago I would find that my idle would get stuck so that when I pulled the clutch in the RPM's would race. If I would slightly engage the clutch it would drop back to normal.

About 1 month ago it started getting worse by having the check engine light come and my gauges going out. The speedometer would either drop to 0 or it would freeze at whatever speed I was at and the check engine light would come on. When this happens its only for a few seconds and then everything goes back to normal.

Last week it changed and now I am having an occasional rough idle after the gauges come back on and once my bike has died when I pulled the clutch in.

It hasn't died since but I am still having all the other issues.

Ive checked the codes and from what I can see everything says CLR next to it so it doesn't appear to be keeping any codes in memory.

Ill take it to a shop soon if I need to but I'm hoping someone here might have an idea about what this is.

I changed the fuel check valve and hose about 2 months ago but this issue started before that. I haven't done any other work to bike since I bought it.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-06-2013, 09:47 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Battery or connections or both.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the connections to the ECM and the instrument cluster, heck check all of the connections under your seat, maybe get some Electro Contact Cleaner and open and clean all of your connections and then use some NON conductive electric grease. My

Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Freelander
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I had checked all of my electrical before but I went back and checked again. Everything looks ok from what I can see. Connectors are all tight, bolts aren't loose, etc.
Ill dig in a little deeper and see if I can find anything else.

Thanks.