Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest air ride for softail 1000 $?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013 | 06:46 PM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by nikonf8
you guys are quite convincing but like the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it at this point mine is doing the job and after two others I am holding fast.its never been about the money I spent more on one of the two failures .by the way a life time warrantee is the life of the company should they go out of business so does your warrantee they have these automotive parts stores here in ct they sell life time **** and every four or five years they change hands or name so much for the life time I bought lifetime windows for my house the company is long gone
If they have a patent Im sure HD has made them offers already.

Old 12-04-2013 | 06:49 PM
Galli928
Cruiser

you guys are quite convincing but like the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it at this point mine is doing the job and after two others I am holding fast.its never been about the money I spent more on one of the two failures .by the way a life time warrantee is the life of the company should they go out of business so does your warrantee they have these automotive parts stores here in ct they sell life time **** and every four or five years they change hands or name so much for the life time I bought lifetime windows for my house the company is long gone
What rear suspension are you running?

Old 12-04-2013 | 09:03 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

When I first read the opening of this thread I knew this would morph into a Shotgun Shock discussion. I think SS is the most talked about add-on on this forum. I'm also a member of other Harley forums and don't see nearly the talk about SS on those others.

nikonf8 I understand what you're saying. However if we never fixed things that weren't broke, we'd all be riding stock bikes.

To me part of the fun of my hobby (my Heritage) is fixing things on it that aren't broke. Of course time and money is always a factor.

Even though the vast majority of reviews of the SS are positive, one must recognize that the reviews are coming from those who've already dropped the coin on it.

If those reviews were negative, more than likely less people would buy the SS thus possible resulting in JD going out of business and of course the end of the lifetime warranty. I believe that's what you were trying to say.

We all here own a Harley instead of a cheaper Jap bike so money is not really the issue here, it's more of priorities.

In closing, I personally have little doubt that the SS is currently the best air ride system out there for softails. Whether or not it's worth the money is a personal decision. Of course that's only from what I've read because I for one don't have a SS and I'm pretty happy with my stock suspension, however if JD was to give me a SS I'd install it the same the day I got it.

Old 12-04-2013 | 10:06 PM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluraven
When I first read the opening of this thread I knew this would morph into a Shotgun Shock discussion. I think SS is the most talked about add-on on this forum. I'm also a member of other Harley forums and don't see nearly the talk about SS on those others.

nikonf8 I understand what you're saying. However if we never fixed things that weren't broke, we'd all be riding stock bikes.

To me part of the fun of my hobby (my Heritage) is fixing things on it that aren't broke. Of course time and money is always a factor.

Even though the vast majority of reviews of the SS are positive, one must recognize that the reviews are coming from those who've already dropped the coin on it.

If those reviews were negative, more than likely less people would buy the SS thus possible resulting in JD going out of business and of course the end of the lifetime warranty. I believe that's what you were trying to say.

We all here own a Harley instead of a cheaper Jap bike so money is not really the issue here, it's more of priorities.

In closing, I personally have little doubt that the SS is currently the best air ride system out there for softails. Whether or not it's worth the money is a personal decision. Of course that's only from what I've read because I for one don't have a SS and I'm pretty happy with my stock suspension, however if JD was to give me a SS I'd install it the same the day I got it.

I hear ya brother.. I have 1/4" more left to loosen up my preload.. considering the shock on a softail has about only 1" of total travel (its a 3 to 1 ratio) that is a lot! So I will try that first and see how it goes

the reality is no matter what you read here a lot has to do with the weights of the person(s) riding the bike.. you make hear negative comments about the stock suspension but dont know the person making those statements weighs in at 270 is trying to ride 2 up with the passenger weighing 160 with a 2" drop... that aint gonna happen! Hell, that aint gonna happen with a 1" drop!

EDIT: I THOUGHT I had more pre-load to take out.. nope.. was already all out.. looks like I need $1300.

Last edited by barchetta; 12-07-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2014 | 11:50 PM
04ctd
Banned

where do you go to get a GREAT price on the SS?

it's $1549 on ebay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shotgun-Shoc...a14745&vxp=mtr

Old 03-16-2014 | 12:01 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

PM JD on here, you'll get the forum discount for $1250 I think it was, don't quote me on that though.

Old 03-16-2014 | 02:25 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm, " a few years back someone started brainwashing everyone and hawking sales"!!! I wonder who that could possibly be? I would think anyone who bought the SS on their own volition insults their intelligence and the ability to recognize the superior product and to make am informed decision and to purchase this superior product all on their own. I would also read over ALL of the threads that has ANYTHING to do with the SS and it's easy to see why everyone does buy it, use it and swear by it.

I also bet that person who did the brainwashing and hawking rarely does so anymore. That person has no need to, everyone else now does that so that person sees no need to do so anymore, I would imagine. Find 1 single person that has ANYTHING bad to say about the SS and you will find 100 who loves the SS and has NO regrets. As far as the owner of the SS company goes, Mr. JD. has the best customer service of any vendor I have ever done business with in my 40+ years of riding. The SS is by far the best air ride system in the market today and is unmatched by any other air ride system on the market today.

I also bet that the guy who did all the brain washing and hawking must be one rich Dude! Anyone who can brainwash and hawk so many people,
who are all complete strangers to one another must have some kind of out of this world abilities. I hear he has many river front properties for sale out in the middle of Arizona and cheap too. He must have every lady all over the country drooling just to be in his presence! I'm sure he gets laid anytime he wants with the snap of a finger. I find it so odd that those few people who bash the SS has never had one or even rode on a bike with one on it.

In closing, I have found that the bashers to be no more than hater's!!! I think that the guy who's has all these super powers would tell you, as so many other will to, to save your pennies until you can buy the SS and you will never regret it, plain and simple..... But, I am just a broken down old tired fat man, what do I know?

Old 03-16-2014 | 10:15 AM
Vwoo
Cruiser

JD sold me mine for 1250 when I mentioned my forum research just 5 weeks ago. I really like it so far.

Old 03-16-2014 | 10:41 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
The Shotgun isn't over 1500.00 and always remember, you get what you pay for.
In this case, absolutely...

Old 03-16-2014 | 10:51 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

I am trying to get both views and all I hear from the SS crowd is how they are so adjustable. Great but once you find the sweet spot don't you leave it there? Why would you keep changing it. I don't ride two up, I want a slammed look around 2" lower than stock, and want a comfortable shock. I will not need to play with it to impress people at the bar by hitting switches to drop it to the ground as others say. I will set it and be done. Can I find a great shock for my purpose cheaper than the SS? What brand is that? And yes I am a big boy so I need a heavier shock.

Quick Reply: Cheapest air ride for softail 1000 $?