Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest air ride for softail 1000 $?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013 | 12:15 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Get a shotgun. Don;t waste time or money on any other system. I had 3 different system's on my softail and the shotgun took the cake by far.

Old 12-04-2013 | 12:20 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Generally you get what you pay for

Old 12-04-2013 | 12:52 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Default Air ride

I did not mention any names in my post but on this site chances are all you will hear is shotgun a few years ago someone started brain washing people on this site with a constant bombardment on the shotgun along with hawking sales from members.any time some one said they needed parts they would jump in and tell them to contact them. I'm not sure if the site put a stop to that but that's how this shotgun became so big on this site. I am sure there are a lot of happy shotgun owners on this site but like I said before I have heard plenty of people comment on how, great the service is if you have a problem but for me I have heard it to many times. All I'm saying is do your home work check around talk to people who work with the system find out what problems they had take a good look around and then make a decision most products have there pros and cons that's what you look at. If you do your own installations that's great but if you do not all the parts you get to fix a system will have to be installed by someone else then it is costing you. It's great to get good customer service but the labor is on you. And if you do not change your own oil there will probably be an additional charge on the labor for the extra time it takes. Just make sure you take every thing into account

Old 12-04-2013 | 01:38 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmmm...personally I couldn't go with the cheaper and inferior system. I have to be able to raise and lower it with the touch of a finger just to be able to get in and out of my driveway. NOTHING is perfect but to get the customer service I get with my system, it's a no brainer. 2 years now, I use it sometimes 10, 20 times a day and still not a single issue. I can't wrap my head around a person buying an inferior anything just in case I might have a problem down the road. I'll take the superior product with the superior warranty anytime, every time.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 12-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2013 | 02:10 PM
509Rider
Road Master

Why waste money when you can just step up to the shotgun, things are cheaper for a reason.

Old 12-04-2013 | 03:43 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

I really hate to do this and hope this thread does not turn into a debate, but I think nikonf8s reply needs a response. If everyone on the forum who recommends a shotgun has never actually used one then the brainwashing argument would work. When I made my decision on air ride I read reviews (of which there are plenty of threads on here) from actual users and looked at capabilities of the different systems. I chose the shotgun over the others due to the reviews of actual users, not brainwashed posters with no experience with the system and the (in my opinion) superior capabilities of the system when compared to the other systems. The lifetime warranty is great and I will take it gladly, but it was not a deciding factor.

To the OP, nikonf8 makes some good points about studying out as much as you can before making any large purchase and taking everything into account, including labor. Saying that everyone who recommends the shotgun is brainwashed though is ignorant. I am sure that is not what he meant, but that is how his post unfortunately comes across.

Last edited by UT-rckr; 12-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2013 | 04:02 PM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by soft 02
For under a grand id go with Works Shocks. Better than progresive.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/softail.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330883257107...84.m1423.l2649

The works shock says its setup for a minimum of 250lbs rider and passenger and gear.. I weigh 170lb... so Im guessing my teeth would fall out.

Im in a dilemma about all this.. Id like a touring bike for the ride and the fairing.. but softails arent selling so its not gonna happen anytime soon.. so trying to come up with an alternative that isnt "stupid"..

Will the Legend shocks be capable of light loads and provide a decent ride..? Or is the intention simply to adjust ride height based on weight?

I have never seen them claim they give you a good ride.. only that they will stop you from bottoming out.. anyone out there ever compare a softail with legend shocks to a touring bike?

Last edited by barchetta; 12-04-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2013 | 04:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
The works shock says its setup for a minimum of 250lbs rider and passenger and gear.. I weigh 170lb... so Im guessing my teeth would fall out.

Im in a dilemma about all this.. Id like a touring bike for the ride and the fairing.. but softails arent selling so its not gonna happen anytime soon.. so trying to come up with an alternative that isnt "stupid"..

Will the Legend shocks be capable of light loads and provide a decent ride..? Or is the intention simply to adjust ride height based on weight?

I have never seen them claim they give you a good ride.. only that they will stop you from bottoming out.. anyone out there ever compare a softail with legend shocks to a touring bike?

That Ebay one was ordered buy a customer who decided to cancel the purchase. It was set up for a heavier rider.

They custom valve them when you purchase them. Im looking at that Ebay one. While SS may be great I cant afford them and this might get me by till I can.

Old 12-04-2013 | 04:17 PM
barchetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by soft 02
That Ebay one was ordered buy a customer who decided to cancel the purchase. It was set up for a heavier rider.

They custom valve them when you purchase them. Im looking at that Ebay one. While SS may be great I cant afford them and this might get me by till I can.
Hmmm I need to research that a little more...

as a side note: la choppers makes a spring for the stock shocks... its rated for whatever weight you are.. its like $150 or less..... so my question would be whats the difference between that and the works shock? (and a $50 lower bolt set)

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...199/index.html

Im thinking about putting my bike back to factory ride height and going with some really lightweight springs... and also a front fairing.. project would cost (with a stereo) likely towards $1500... if I bought the stereo from fleabay and did it all myself.. (including painting it)..

Last edited by barchetta; 12-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2013 | 04:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
Hmmm I need to research that a little more...

as a side note: la choppers makes a spring for the stock shocks... its rated for whatever weight you are.. its like $150 or less..... so my question would be whats the difference between that and the works shock?
Works for softails is a hydraulic shock with valving.

Quick Reply: Cheapest air ride for softail 1000 $?