Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 AM
flipbel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another blind spot

A few month ago I created a thread where it explains an incident in which I was almost involved in an accident due to a blind spot (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-accident.html). The reason I created that thread was because if this type of blind spot happens in a small town in south Texas, it can and will happen anywhere.

Well, last night (2115 hrs) while heading back home from work I encountered another potential blind spot situation. In this case it was not a "I almost crashed" but like I said, all the elements were there for a bad situation for me. I have included a drawing of what the situation looked like.

I was traveling west bound on US 83 (inside lane or fast lane) behind a 4 door p/u truck (unit #2). Unit #2 turned his left turn signal and started to slow down. Unit #2 kept on going on the fast for several seconds continuing slowing down but never merged into the turning lane. Finally unit#2 starts to merge into the tuning lane but fails to completely merge. This is the time where red flags should start popping into your mind but did not for me. I could not understand why this dummy was not merged 100%. At this point I decide to change lanes and overtake on the outside lane. Well, as soon as I start to overtake I saw why Unit #2 could not merge. Unit #1 (small p/c) was waiting to turn left and was blocking unit #2 from turning into "A" st. Unit #1 did not proceed to turn (luckily). I never saw unit#1 and I believe he never saw me and the only reason unit#1 did not turn was because he was waiting to see what unit #2 was going to do (which is what I would have done too).

Well I get very angry with myself for not recognizing this situation ahead of time. I do not want any rider to get into a similar situation and end up tragic. I have been riding for 32 years but I have not seen everything. I hope this helps!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Another blind spot-sam_2900.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,798 Likes on 9,865 Posts

Been there.
What I have done in those situations is get into the left side of the fast lane so if there is a oncoming vehicle in their left turn lane they may see me and I will see them.
But I hate those "turn lane drifters" that won't make a decisive move directly into the turn lane whether I'm on my bike or in my truck.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,532 Likes on 8,479 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Been there.
What I have done in those situations is get into the left side of the fast lane so if there is a oncoming vehicle in their left turn lane they may see me and I will see them.
But I hate those "turn lane drifters" that won't make a decisive move directly into the turn lane whether I'm on my bike or in my truck.
I stay way back from a situation like that until it has cleared itself.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. We all ride using some assumptions about other driver's behavior, and that they will behave somewhat rationally. These assumptions can get us killed.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't worry half as much about what is in my blind spots as I am about being in a cagers blind spot. This past summer a car in front of me was going to turn left and there was a car sitting there that was going to turn left onto the road I was on, pulling out in front of me, and they couldn't see me because of the car in front of me that was turning. They didn't see me, pulled right out in front of me. Luckily I seen it coming and reacted. Also the kicker and this has happened many times. You lay on your horn to try to keep them from killing you and then they get pissed at you for blowing your horn!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for Sharing, I believe they teach these types (same situation) in the Ministry courses here in Canada.
A few tricks to avoid the deadly left turning vehicle.
We lose a few riders every season for it

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM
flipbel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Thanks for Sharing, I believe they teach these types (same situation) in the Ministry courses here in Canada.
A few tricks to avoid the deadly left turning vehicle.
We lose a few riders every season for it
I just wanted to give some headsup. Do not want people hurt.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
dragonflyrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the drawing, it helped understand what you were talking about. Good to keep in the back of the mind too.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipbel
I have been riding for 32 years but I have not seen everything.
This is profound. He's been riding 32 yrs, I've been riding 5, others have been riding more and less. We have all been driving and riding for a lot of years and seen many many situations - but there's always another suituation out there we haven't dealt with yet.
Never let your guard down ya'll - no matter how well experienced we think we are.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had scares like that never a crash from one so now I hang back a little so I can see around and hope to be seen by other cars

Quick Reply: Another blind spot