Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase 1996 Heritage Softail Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:40 AM
jackthebiker
|
Cruiser
Default Purchase 1996 Heritage Softail Classic?

I'm thinking of buying a 1996 black Heritage Softail Classic with 18,000 miles from a person here locally. (central WI.) It would be an extra bike for me to ride occasionally, or my wife. It looks like new with new tires and serviced not to long ago. Anything I should look out for, problems with this year.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2013 | 02:56 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

the base gaskets need to be scrutinized. they are leaky and more often than not it is the rear one. this is the most glaring issue with the Evo in particular. The rest of the stuff is the same from knuckles to twinkies. How does she start, track, idle, how's the clutch any obvious sihngs of wear? at 18k? Maybe signs of neglect?
the market seems depressed to me so anything close to $6000 is good unless you gotta have her but I would not go over $7500 for a stunning example.
good luck and happy thanksgiving!

Old 11-28-2013 | 04:49 PM
jackthebiker
|
Cruiser

The guy started at $8900 firm. Now several weeks later he is at $7600.

Old 11-28-2013 | 06:37 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

The market for prices varies a lot from state to state. Michigans economy sucks but you still dont see a lot of harleys for sale at give away prices. I have a 97 heritage that I have put 40 thousand miles on. Besides normal maintenance the only part that has went bad was the starter. I do maintain the bike well though as every winter I tear the bike down somewhat and replace things that wear out like brake pads, wheel bearings and such. This bike was my first harley.. I may buy other bikes to ride but I dont think I will ever sell this bike...

Old 11-28-2013 | 06:39 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

it is a fair price for an excellent example. If you want it and you can swing it then it is a good to great bike to get. The Evo is gonna be carb'd and sound nice but you won't set any land speed records with her and in the corners my FLSTC rubs the floorboards way, much-much faster than my road glide. the only complaint i have with her is the handling and yes I know it ain't a Hayabusa.
The Evo is an easy engine to work on and the parts are so readily available but depending on your preferences you may wanna learn to wrench on her. From what i'm told the dealers usually wont work on the older iron. I prefer the evo in the summer as they put out less power so also less heat than a twinkie as in your thighs won't melt in traffic.
Some people will try and scare you with the 1993+ INA inner cam bearing but it is not too bad and personally I don't know of any premature failures due to that particular part. Yes the Timken is better but the INA is certainly up to the task. Coincidentally the part number from the stealership is the same.
Lastly, the evo subforum is the best forum out there for support. I have not seen one problem go unsolved. Nothing is impossible it just costs more.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:09 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I have 41,000 plus on my 99 EVO and have no leaks or problems at all. It just runs better all the time. I did have to replace the regulator and stator at around 30,000, but that's about it besides the normal oil changes, maintenance, and tires. I do let mine warm up a little before riding and run standard non synthetic oil.

Old 11-28-2013 | 11:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Get it at the best price you can. Seller is getting motivated. Sounds like a nice bike for that year.

But maybe you shouldn't take my advice. Eighteen months ago I paid $10K for a 2000 Deuce with 42,000 miles on it.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2013 | 11:41 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Friend of mine at work just bought a 2001 with lots of extras $ with 30000 miles and brand new rubber and a service for 7500. Its a very nice looking and running bike. But it is kind of a slug, and does rub the boards real easy. I feel that he got a great deal, just needs some help in the engine dept. Heck, I think he is money ahead.

Old 11-30-2013 | 09:45 AM
oct1949
Club Member

That don't call the EVO Bullet Proof for nothing.. As any bike, they have to be taken care of to last.
If U don't have good mechanical savey, then have a friend that does go and check it out for Ya or take it to a Indy or even a dealer to check her out.

Ask for Maintenance records. For me anyone who really takes care of anything with wheels Keeps good records.
Then U'll know what's been done and when..

Good luck..

Old 11-30-2013 | 10:07 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I think a few things most buyers forget is patience and the condition of the current day market. I know it's hard, when we want something we want it now. I have been guilty of that at times myself. I looked for a good 1.5 to 2 years before I jumped but I got exactly what I wanted with much of what I would have wanted to do already done. Theres always a better deal, a better bike out there if you want to wait and watch. It doesn't sound like a bad deal but I bet you can find something just as nice, if not nicer, with less miles on it for just as good or a better price.

The bike I now have a guy bought and then he put a TON of money into it then his business went belly up because of the crash we had here a few years back in the market and the housing industry, he built new homes. I told him I really felt bad buying it under such circumstances and I really did too! I have had to sell every single bike I ever owned for one reason or another so I knew how the guy felt. He told me not too, that he needed the money to pay bills and to feed his kids. I considered myself both lucky and blessed when I found this bike. I just relayed that story as an example of what you can find out there if you really look and the deals one can come across.