Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utah/Arizona/New Mexico riders??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah/Arizona/New Mexico riders??

The wife and I are in the early stages of planning a bike trip for our 20th anniversary. Back in '87, when we first got hitched, we did a trip through the U.S. on my bike. We were thinking repeat of the same route, but I finally figured why cover ground we've already seen? We're now looking at heading into Montana, Wyoming, then SE into Utah, deke over into Colorado, back into Utah, down through Monument Valley, into Arizona, through the Painted Desert, to the Grand Canyon. After a couple of days doing the touristy thing around the Canyon, we're going to head south to Tombstone, then across into NM to Roswell. Spend a night & the next morning in Roswell (I figure that'll be enough UFO cheese for one lifetime!! LOL) then head up to Fort Sumner. From there we want to cut across NW Texas, through Oklahoma, up to Dodge City in Kansas. After overnighting in Dodge City, its back into Colorado, then north back into Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, and of course eventually home. We're figuring 17 or 18 days on the road. Just wondering if there are any "MUST SEES" in Utah/Arizona/NM that we should know about. Conversely, if there are any "MUST AVOIDS", I'd appreciate that info as well. BTW...this time, instead of riding two up on the '85 V45 Magna, I'll be on my Fatty, and she'll be riding her own bike. (800 Vulcan...) We're totally jazzed about this, but want to make the most of our trip, so we don't have any regrets, like we still do about the honeymoon trip. Don't want to overdo it, but want to pack as much into the trip as possible at the same time. Thanks in advance...

Old 03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Utah/Arizona/New Mexico riders??

When?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

We plan on hitting the road roughly around the 3rd week of July, and being on the road for 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
duane.harvey
Novice

Great rides in Wyoming-Montana... the Beartooth Pass... Chief Joseph highway.

When coming into Utah... take the Logan Canyon road from Bear Lake into Logan.

Traffic drives me crazy, so I tend to avoid Zion's National Park, but I absolutely love Arches National Park and Mesa Verde. Another great ride is the loop from Moab through Monticello, Blanding, up along Lake Powell and the old highway that goes north from there.

One more in Utah... from Provo to Heber is beautiful and fun.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like a great trip. The "monsoon" season in AZ starts in July. Make sure you pack your rain suits. Might as well check out Bisbee from Tombstone. It's about 15 miles south. From the Canyon to Tombstone the quickest/shortest route is through Phoniex. We are talking 120+ degress in July. (but it's a dry heat) Tucson has the Desert Museum and the Air Museum but will be 100+ degress in July. Oh and Old Tucson Studios. Alamogordo, NM has a really nice Space Museum and White Sands NM is interesting. Ruidoso, NM is bueatiful again watch the rain. They are the way to Roswell. Have fun!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser

Second that.....the AZ summer can be brutal in the tail end of July.......hot and then the monsoons bring rain ....daily at times......I would avoid Phoenix and head south through the higher elevations....a bit longer but well worth the avoidance of heat and traffic......and Bisbee is well worth the trip as well.....just try to keep the speed down.....I just got a ticket going from Tombstone to Bisbee last week...... how many miles you traveling in all?????

Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
tater2stock
Cruiser

Be ready for the heat that is for sure. You know Tombstone is really fairly cheesy. There are a number of little towns in the Tucson area that I think you would enjoy more. The place I am thinking of is called Tubac, little artist community with great food and a great atmosphere. speaking of artist communities, when you leave the Grand Canyon and head south toward Phoenix and Tucson, take the alternate route south from Flagstaff through Sedona. Sedona is a "must see"