Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:04 AM
CWBOY 5X
|
Novice
Default OIL Question?

I have used the Syn 3 for all my oil changes...just wondering if anyone else has something similar they like and or prefer.

and if you use Syn 3...so you use it in all three spots? I haven't changed primary or transmission yet. The idea of one fluid for all three sounds good...

thoughts? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:24 AM
jam436
Supporter

Oil and Oil Related Topics
See the "sticky" polls...

Last edited by jam436; 11-24-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2013 | 10:45 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Boy, you have to be new here!!! You have NO idea the can of worms, or the can of oil that you just opened!!!! If you think I am kidding, sit back and watch the direction this thread goes and how it ends in the next few weeks. Oil is probably the most passionate subject and topic that you will come across on this site. I will only speak for myself, what I know and what I use.

I ONLY use Amsoil, I use the 20/50 in my engine and primary and I use the 75/90 gear lube in the tranny. Allot of people use the 20/50 in all 3 holes but I prefer to use an oil that is specifically made and designed for trannys and gears. I don't know why anyone would use anything else but it's their bike, their tranny and their oil. You can do it and get away with it but again, why? I also change all my fluids before winter storage in all 3 holes and in the motor, I also seldom will go over 3K miles on my engine oil before I change it. Watch the replies that gets!!

I have been riding 43+ years, I have worked for a chemical company since the early 80's and in the lab for the past 25, 26 years. I have access to information the average guy never sees, hears of or reads. That still does NOT make me an oil expert but I go with the science. In all my study and reading, Amsoil has the best additive package out there. Oil is pretty much oil, they are all made using the same process, cracking it in a furnace and separating it in a distillation process and cooling towers for dino oil and a reaction process for Synthetics. The additive packages are what sets them apart.

My 2nd choice would be Mobil 1 full syn. It too is a very good oil. The only beef I have with using the Amsoil was that it is not as easy to get, it's not on most store shelves. I have since found a dealer close to my home and all I do is call and he delivers it right to my door step now. Should I be out on the open road and need an oil change, Mobil 1 is the one I would go with. If you have any further questions you can send me a private email and I will respond. I don't want to get in an open argument again on why I use Amsoil, how I use it and how I change my oil, that being the 100% clean oil change.

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:59 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Do what the owners manual suggests especially while the bike is under warranty. People will bring up the Magnuson-Moss act, but that won't stop a stealership from denying warranty claims...even if you have an extended warranty I'd still suck it up and by the OEM ****. They'll try the same **** to deny coverage like the stealership would.

You can use Syn3 in the engine, trans and primary. It's a little more expensive but the peace of mind is worth it and it's not that bad of oil.

Old 11-24-2013 | 11:10 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Do what the owners manual suggests especially while the bike is under warranty. People will bring up the Magnuson-Moss act, but that won't stop a stealership from denying warranty claims...even if you have an extended warranty I'd still suck it up and by the OEM ****. They'll try the same **** to deny coverage like the stealership would.
My dealer did my 1K service and even recommended the synthetics at that time. They also assured me it wouldn't affect the warranty.
Depends on the dealer I guess...

Old 11-24-2013 | 11:29 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Boy, you have to be new here!!! You have NO idea the can of worms, or the can of oil that you just opened!!!! If you think I am kidding, sit back and watch the direction this thread goes and how it ends in the next few weeks. Oil is probably the most passionate subject and topic that you will come across on this site. I will only speak for myself, what I know and what I use.

I ONLY use Amsoil, I use the 20/50 in my engine and primary and I use the 75/90 gear lube in the tranny. Allot of people use the 20/50 in all 3 holes but I prefer to use an oil that is specifically made and designed for trannys and gears. I don't know why anyone would use anything else but it's their bike, their tranny and their oil. You can do it and get away with it but again, why? I also change all my fluids before winter storage in all 3 holes and in the motor, I also seldom will go over 3K miles on my engine oil before I change it. Watch the replies that gets!!

I have been riding 43+ years, I have worked for a chemical company since the early 80's and in the lab for the past 25, 26 years. I have access to information the average guy never sees, hears of or reads. That still does NOT make me an oil expert but I go with the science. In all my study and reading, Amsoil has the best additive package out there. Oil is pretty much oil, they are all made using the same process, cracking it in a furnace and separating it in a distillation process and cooling towers for dino oil and a reaction process for Synthetics. The additive packages are what sets them apart.

My 2nd choice would be Mobil 1 full syn. It too is a very good oil. The only beef I have with using the Amsoil was that it is not as easy to get, it's not on most store shelves. I have since found a dealer close to my home and all I do is call and he delivers it right to my door step now. Should I be out on the open road and need an oil change, Mobil 1 is the one I would go with. If you have any further questions you can send me a private email and I will respond. I don't want to get in an open argument again on why I use Amsoil, how I use it and how I change my oil, that being the 100% clean oil change.
Tony,

If I were you I would save that response somewhere on your computer. That way, when this topic comes up again <that won't happen >, you won't have to retype it, you can just copy/paste.

Let the onslaught continue...

Old 11-24-2013 | 11:33 AM
Dozer40
Road Warrior

I can't help myself...I'll have to check in on this from time to time.

Old 11-24-2013 | 11:43 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm supposed to take my bike in Tuesday for my 15k service. They asked me if I wanted synthetic oil or not. I thought all new bikes got synthetic. If I thought the "sewing machine" ticking would stop with regular oil, I'd switch.

Old 11-24-2013 | 12:02 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

You've opened the can of oil worms that will spill over into the 100% oil change.

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Engine gets Mobil 1™ V-Twin 20W-50 every 5K - $9.60 at Meijer

Primary gets Mobil 1 Racing 4T™ 10W-40 every 5K - - $9.60 at Meijer

Transmission gets Red Line V-Twin Transmission Oil With ShockProof every 10K - $16.95 at Summit

Always use 1qrt of new oil to purge the engine at each oil change.

Old 11-24-2013 | 12:28 PM
Johnny Goodlife
Road Captain

Quick Reply: OIL Question?