Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my Fatboy this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Captain_Howdy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked my Fatboy this weekend...

Yep, I screwed up, made a bad choice. I knew I was gonna get run over so I attempted to minimize the damage by going into the grass. I was doing pretty good until I hit an unseen obstacle. The bike popped up and threw my wife over my right shoulder. The front wheel landed and I tried to ride it out but I lost it. It flipped hard to the left and basically slammed me into the ground. I was pinned on the ground with my left leg under the bike. Not good. Broke a few ribs, bruised my spleen--or a contusion--however you spell that. Spent a few nights in the hospital. Smashed my left leg and ankle.

The bad thing is my wife was with me. I was pinned and couldn't get to her. She was the one that took enough pressure off the bike so I could get my leg out.

That part is still messing with my head.

I am glad I had on my full face helmet. I normally wear a half in the summer. If my leg heals good enough to ride again I doubt I will wear the half helmet again.

I doubt she will ever ride another bike ever again

She was only bruised up a bit so I am thankful to God for that. I deserve what I got for it. Even with the broke ribs I managed to pick up the bike before I was carried off in the ambulance. The officers there and the emt did try and lend a hand but they were in disbelief of me even trying to do it. I couldn't leave it on the ground after I found my wife was ok. That was my last stand though for quite a while. I went down almost immediately.

I did see a small group of 4 bikers blocking traffic as I went down...I thought that was pretty damned cool. They were riding an assortment of machines...I didn't know what to do as they rode slowly by...I wanted to express my appreciation but I couldn't do much on my hands and knees. I just held my thumb up as they passed...it was all I could do...hope it was the right thing.

I am sitting here typing this and thinking about lots of things. Mainly my wife, my leg--I have a crab leg now--it's at least twice or more as big as the other. My ribs hurt like hell, but they'll heal, and my spleen held together too.

Then that leaves my bike. I went by and seen it today. The right side looks like new. The left side wasn't real bad. The shop guys said they had even ridden it and it wasn't that bad. They said all the painted parts--tins would need to be replaced. The windshield, both left side turn signals and possibly the left grip housing. Everything else looked good or so they said. The primary was untouched. I am assuming my leg saved that. But I looked at it on the lift and the thing looked kinda twisted. Maybe just me. I hope they can fix it as good as they told me they were going to.

This is my first real bike crash. I have been riding off and on since I was a kid and only wrecked a dirt bike here and there.

I am not scared of getting back on it. I was actually gonna try and fire it up and try to make it home. The cops stopped me. I am glad they did cause I woulda never made it.

I was at a riding class many years ago and the instructor was talking about accidents...he said there are those that have and those that will.

I never believed that. But now I have had my first. I hope that no one else has it happen to them.

I know there may be others of you that has had accidents on your bike.

Am I overly concerned or overly worried about these things?

Actually, I want my body healed and my bike back to me like it was. I just don't know if that will happen.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by. And I hope the rest of you guys don't have to have any of this happen to you.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

Glad you are still here and the wife of course. Bike can be fixed/replaced.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy
I did see a small group of 4 bikers blocking traffic as I went down... I just held my thumb up as they passed...it was all I could do.
..and they didn't stop to help??
freakin' jagoffs...

anyway, glad to hear it wasn't any worse...

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Captain_Howdy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jam436
..and they didn't stop to help??
freakin' jagoffs...

anyway, glad to hear it wasn't any worse...
The cops and EMS got there before they did...I shoulda said when I went down after I picked the bike up. I guess the adrenalin didn't last very long or the broke ribs just hurt too bad...I was kinda in shock actually

Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Captain_Howdy
Intermediate

thanks guys

Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you are here to tell us about it, man.

I've been slacking off on wearing the full face. Think I'll put it on more now that it's winter.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very glad you and your wife are OK! I have been there myself...Not fun, but get back on that horse! Learn from it and ride on.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What forced you off the road?

Glad you and the Ol' Lady are ok.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the reason im gonna get a fullface next season man..

I am glad that you and your wife are ok!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I am surprized that the bikers didn't stop to see if you were okay. It's nice that they stopped traffic but they should have approached you and your wife.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my Fatboy this weekend...