Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Question for Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Question for Door Opener

I'm in the process of wiring a Genie garage door opener into my 2012 Heritage.

I have a 12 volt relay soldered to the opener, as the opener is only 6 volts. I want to tie it into the flash to pass toggle, but am not 100% sure which wire I need. I have the manual and its wire diagrams, but it doesn't seem to show the toggle switch. I think I've narrowed the wires down to the yellow or the black (yellow is the low beam/flash and black is hi beam). I thought maybe the flash to pass had its own wire, but can't find one.

Have any of you done something similar and which wire(s) did you tie into? I don't want the relay constantly on, as that would drain the remote's battery. Hence wanting to use the flash.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM
oscar621
Advanced

I believe the flash to pass wire you refer to is the high beam power wire and would be powered by the BCM when you hit the switch to the momentary position, but would stay on when the hi beams were turned on.

It's power comes from the BCM. Make sure you don't tap into the wires coming from switch to BCM as they are part of the CANBUS system. When you push the hi beam button to the momentary position the BCM simply turns on both beams at once, so even if you use that wire from the headlight the relay will be on when you have the hi beam turned on.

Another idea might be to buy a trip/reset switch from an older model softail and install it on the side of the console by the speedo, just like the trip/reset switches installed on older softails, plus it is a momentary switch.

My harley door opener does tie into the hi/low beam wiring, but is triggered when it senses a voltage change. When I switch to high beam it does turn the LED on the module on, but shortly turns off I'm sure due to the circuitry in the module.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:02 AM
oscar621
Advanced

Duh...forgot to give you wire colors. White is high beam, yellow is low beam and black is ground at headlight. Coming out of the BCM the low beam is blue/yellow & hi beam is blue/white on connector 38 a/b, which I believe is on the front left side of the fuel tank. By the schematic looks like the wires change color at connector 38.

Hope this helps...

Steve

Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, I'll be able to get this connected.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

I would tap into the high beam headlight wire after the bcm, then use a circuit with a relay to convert to a momentary power. This way when you hit the high beams the garage door opener will only get power temporarily even if you leave the high beams switched on. This diagram should get you what you need.

Here is the text that comes with it...
"Constant to Momentary Output - Positive Input/Positive Output The capacitor allows the coil of the relay to be energized until the capacitor stores a charge, thus de-energizing the coil. The resistor bleeds off the charge of the capacitor when positive voltage is removed from the other side of the coil. You can increase the output time by simply changing the value of the capacitor. This one will give you about a 1/2 second output."

And the source.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram20.html

Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
oscar621
Advanced

That is an awesome website. Thanks for sharing...

Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by oscar621
That is an awesome website. Thanks for sharing...
No problem, had that one in my favorites for years. Super handy when doing any kind of custom wiring.