Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riser & ape hanger combination question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 05:58 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

Here's another option that may work the bars are on a bike owned by guy on here called Lightfatty I think his name is, don't know what make they are but I assume you can get them in chrome.

Old 11-15-2013 | 06:11 AM
newjack66
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by magna
Both bars and risers are Harley, not sure wether they still do them but other companies do similar, the bars are what Harleys call chubby mini apes with internal wiring, another alternative if your wiring is a bit tight is the apes that are used on the Streetbob. They've got external wiring and are not quite as thick but the pull back part that the grips are fitted to are a bit shorter, also have you thought about the Nightrain drag bar set up ? You've already got the risers and more than enough wiring, I only changed mine because I get a shoulder ache after riding for a while and found apes where better for that, and I got to say Drag bars are far better for cutting down between rows of cars in motorway traffic jams, or lane splitting as the guys on here call it.
Thanks for your info, I'll do some research over the weekend. Will go down to my local HD dealership, actually the parts guys are really good and offer alternatives even if it's not gen HD stuff, which is cool.

I'm 6'4 & I agree apes are really comfortable. Ihad them on most of my metrics and this is my first HD (done with metrics) & I really miss them.

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Darren

Old 11-15-2013 | 06:13 AM
newjack66
|
Intermediate

Here's another option that may work the bars are on a bike owned by guy on here called Lightfatty I think his name is, don't know what make they are but I assume you can get them in chrome.

Now those are really nice bars. I sat on a Victory high ball with similar bars are they were really nice.

I'll look these up and see if they do chrome.

Cheers

Old 11-17-2013 | 06:11 AM
newjack66
|
Intermediate

Just letting you know swapped some mini's and short risers for some bits n pieces I had laying around.

Worked well.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Riser & ape hanger combination question?-dscf4003.jpg   Riser & ape hanger combination question?-dscf4002.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013 | 06:24 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

Looks good, you didn't say but I assume you managed with the existing cabling.

Old 11-17-2013 | 10:53 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

It is is popular belief and my opinion that apes don't look very well when used with high or tall risers.

Old 11-17-2013 | 04:40 PM
newjack66
|
Intermediate

Looks good, you didn't say but I assume you managed with the existing cabling.
Only two things:

1. I had to have the clutch lever angled down a little more. Thats fine not an issue.

2. I had the bars a little bit closer to me to allow full turn lock and not stretch on the clutch cable. A longer clutch cable would allow a more traditional upright ape stance but I'm happy at the moment.

I actually really enjoy the position. Did 50 odd miles yesterday and It felt really good.

Darren

Old 11-17-2013 | 04:46 PM
newjack66
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
It is is popular belief and my opinion that apes don't look very well when used with high or tall risers.
I have to agree with you. The shorter risers visually make the apes flow better from the top of the tree. I know it sounds 'zen like'.

I'd rather play with the length of the apes than mess about with risers.

When I eventually go for bigger apes, I'll keep the small risers, change the apes and change the cabling.

At the top of the thread are pics of my original setup (that came with the bike). I hated the 6 inch riser and handlebar setup from the start. It was comfortable, but the look in my view sucked!

Darren

Old 11-17-2013 | 05:01 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

Got to agree original set up didn't look to good, also agree short risers look a lot better, although I like the dog bone set up that's on the Easy Rider Capt America bike, for some reason you never see that any more.