Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INSTALL quiet baffles for V&H BSS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
fatboy40ate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSTALL quiet baffles for V&H BSS

Hi

I have just installed a set of Big Shots Staggered on my Fatboy and want to install the Quiet Baffles. I had my dealer put the pipes on but want to put the baffles in myself. Do you remove the tips slip in baffles replace tips and secure the baffles and tips with the same bolt.

Any info would be great.

Steve

Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
hawker
Advanced
Default RE: INSTALL quiet baffles for V&H BSS

Very easy to do, take the end cap off, and you should have a screw on the back-side of the pipe that holds the baffle in, remove and re-install the new one. I change mine in and out all the time 15 mins top to do the job.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM
fatboy40ate
Advanced

Thanks Hawker.

So its another screw to secure the baffle. not the one that holds on the tips. I suppose I will see it when i take the tips off.

many thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Gerard
Road Master

The screw that holds on the tip only goes through the heat shield. The screw that holds in the baffle is about 3 inches farther up and goes through the exhaust pipe. You will feel them when you run your hand up the back side.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember if you put in the baffels it changes the EFI fuel mix and you need to have the bike reset. I have the V&H FuelPak and it has different settings for baffels as compared to the settings with the baffels out.

I suspect it makes the mix rich as opposed to no baffles which leans out the mix. I am sure it will run fine but I'll bet the mileage will change and the plugs will show signs of running too rich.

Its a simple thing to change the V&H Fuelpak settings. Not so simple if you have the SERT and have to visit the dealer. PC you can set yourself also.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 AM
fatboy40ate
Advanced

thanks softale...

Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Make sure you want those in there. I put some in and did not like the sound. When trying to get them back out,(the Next day) it was almost impossible.

The packing got all bunched up and I had to destroy both of them trying to get a grip on them to pull them out.

Maby if there was a way to secure the wrapping a little better it would be easier, but I would definalty remove some to make them not as tight in case you want to take them out again.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: softail2005

Remember if you put in the baffels it changes the EFI fuel mix and you need to have the bike reset. I have the V&H FuelPak and it has different settings for baffels as compared to the settings with the baffels out.

I suspect it makes the mix rich as opposed to no baffles which leans out the mix. I am sure it will run fine but I'll bet the mileage will change and the plugs will show signs of running too rich.

Its a simple thing to change the V&H Fuelpak settings. Not so simple if you have the SERT and have to visit the dealer. PC you can set yourself also.
It sounds like he is REPLACING the stock baffles with the quiet baffles, not going from straight pipes to baffles. If so, he won't have to retune the EFI.

Jim

Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little tip I picked up from a wrench..to make them easier to remove if you want to.
wrap them with a bit of saran wrap....yes plastic wrap..the stuff that on there is scotch tape anyway.

Then wipe them down with a bit of pam cooking spray..your choice of flavor..
It will keep the plastic from melting to the pipe inside and it will turn the plastic a crunchy brown like a cooking bag.

mine smelled like butter flovored for a few minutes