Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Form and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
vingstun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Form and have questions

Hello all and thanks for taking a few minutes to read about my questions. I am about to purchase a HD SEFB 06 due for Oct deliverly. From all the different HD riders I have spoken to around here are things I MUST GET WHEN I GET THE BIKE. So from what I am hearing are things like Windshield, change the pipes to something LOUDER like Thunderheader and get a better seat. GOSH at the cost of this new bike I would not think getting these things would be necessary. If I should get these items and I am looking to add an additional $1500 or more dollars into the bike before I even get out the door. Now comes the twist to make things more compilicated. My brother who has a Victory bike thinks I should not get this bike because of price. He believes that getting a Victory bike would be an excellent choice and that I would be saving thousands of dollars vs. getting a HD. All that I know is HISTORY of HD and how resale vaule holds better on HD's than any other bike out there. Also more people respect the HD name better. So with that I will have lots more questions to ask in the coming month as I begin my new journey in to getting my first new bike.

May Freedome Ride to all,

Turn 40 Man

Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: New to Form and have questions

It all comes down to what makes you happy, you'll be the one riding it and don't try to justify the price, I didn't. If you can swing it, there's no substitute and welcome to the forum

Old 08-28-2005, 01:29 AM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

Ever ridden the sefb? Once you do youll know what you want. That bike is awsome. Period.

Get an 05 and save 5k, I know of at least 3 dealers in Dallas area that have the silver orange scheme still on the floor and will take any 'reasonable offer' as they put it.

Old 08-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what bike you decide to get - odds are you're going to customize it.
I like Harley Davidson - that's my bike of choice. The bottom line is
what is your bike off choice, and how do you decide that for your self?
Do you base your decision on re-sale value, comfort, performance, budget,
cool factor, love of riding.....

I look at all of these factors and I keep coming back to Harley - the 2005 Injected Fatboy with
the counter balanced engine to be exact (FLSTFI)

My bike performs, Rides like a dream, looks bad to the bone, has been customized to be
a one of a kind, and if I ever want to trade it in down the road - I'll be glad that I invested in a Harley.

Put some thought in to it, but don't let any one talk you in to anything that you don't love.
Do your research - line up your favorites - then go with your gut.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:52 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

I know this from experience, Victory has one of the most sorry *** dealer networks in the country. and the price of their accessories are even higher than HD. With HD their are loads of aftermarket accessories from different companies. If you don't like one company you can find another. the same with their dealers. Look at HD, go to different dealers, you will find a model and dealer and price you can live with.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, some great info here so ask away. Now for your question I'm sure opinions will abound here so here's my spin on it. First, I just purchased my first Harley (and love it). I've owned a lot of "metric" bikes before. Was looking for a touring bike, and checked them all out. What made me decide on the Harley was going to be different than it would have been for others.

If it's price, why not look at a metric. They are looking more and more like Harley anyway and you can't beat the price. If it's trade in value, sure go with the Harley however, even with this there is _NO GUARANTEE_, just 'cause they've done well in the past doesn't mean for sure they will be in 3,5,10 years if you decide to trade/sell. If you want aftermarket stuff, like to customize, the HD is your best choice by far.

My best advice would be to ride whatever you are thinking of buying if you can. See what your options are for dealers in your neck of the woods, check out the cost on upgrade items for whatever you are looking at.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Old 08-28-2005, 07:58 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy, welcome to the forum. You are facing a situation that a lot of people have faced. There will always be people that think that their bike is going to be better than the one that you are going to buy. The bottom line is this, you are the one that is going to put out the money and you are the one that will be riding the bike, buy what you want and enjoy the ride.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

It's all about personal taste and preference...

BUT BUY THE HARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totalled my road king a few weeks ago. I decided I would make a informed decision and give other bikes a look. I looked aty the victory king pin and touring cruiser. I have owned two Harleys and was quite familar with thier dealers. I went to two differnt Victory dealers and the bikes looked nice and one let me test ride them. Well when it came down to the price they were only a couple thousand below a Harley. I looked at the same bikes used and they lost quite abit of value. My road king was a 2001 with 30000 miles and they gave me 3000 grand more than I paid for it. Granted I had put several thousand into it. I went to my local Harley dealer and looked at thier new bikes. I ended up staying with Harley and am glad I did. Polaris has already pulled out of water craft and I would be afraid they will pull the plug on victory.

Eric 2005 FLSTN