Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signals as Brake Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
06Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Turn Signals as Brake Lights?

I have the HD version on my 06 Fatboy. 5 minute install and it works great.

For the bullet style lights on Softail you need part number 69462-06A

Fits '02-'03 XL, '02-later Dyna™ (except FXDXT), and '02-later Softail® (except FXSTD/I) models with stock bullet-style turn signals. (NOTE: Does not meet DOT standards when installed on '04-later FLHRS, FLTR, FLHTCSE models, '05-later FLSTN and FLSTS models, or models equipped with Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar Kit P/N 68615-04 or 68617-04.)

I got mine for about $45.00 with my HOG discount at my local dealer.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Biketronics, Tailbones converter. Itturns the rear blinkers into aux. brake lights and running lights. I ordered it at the same time I switched my rear signals to flush strut mount LED
lights, to get clearance for my saddle bags. I looked up the HD version later and found out it was cheaper.
There wasn't that much difference, as I recall, but it really surprised me that the HD converter would be cheaper.
Tom

Old 03-13-2007, 06:53 AM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

Also go to www.customdynamics.com They have all types of lights on here.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
chops
Tourer

I created a simple circuit about 10 years ago that would change your turn sigs into running-turn-brake. This was long before anyone made anything like this, and I used to keep it up on a few websites butthe designgot ripped off by manufacturers.

Email me and I'll send you the schematic if you're good with basic electronics.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

I'm putting LED bullet lights on the rear of my FXST. I went to the HD shop yesterday. They had the kit for around $45, but they told me it didn't work on LED lights. Two places told me to go with the Badlands Run/Turn/Brake module that has the built-in load equalizer (which they said I'll need for LED lights on my '04). It's $129. I'll probably order it this week.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
BlackBetty06
Advanced

O yeah! now thats what im talkin about, too bad not DOT approved, but then again I dont really care...

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...c_clusters.htm

Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

That's pretty slick!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: DickGrayson

I'm putting LED bullet lights on the rear of my FXST. I went to the HD shop yesterday. They had the kit for around $45, but they told me it didn't work on LED lights. Two places told me to go with the Badlands Run/Turn/Brake module that has the built-in load equalizer (which they said I'll need for LED lights on my '04). It's $129. I'll probably order it this week.
The reason I opted for the Biketronics,Tailbones converter was because the ad in J&P Cycles said I wouldn't need to add a load equalizer,with this converter,when I switched to LED rear signals. I was told different on this forum, so I called and talked to the tech at Biketronics. He said the ad in the J&P catalog was missing some key words and it should not have stated that you wont need the load equalizer, but thought there was a good chance they would work anyway.
He told me that once the new LEDs were hooked up, to do a momentary disconnect of the battery, this would give the ECM a chance to adjust for the different load. Then he said to flash my right signal a few times (he said it might start off blinking real fast, it didn't) then let the left signal flash a few times. I did it and everything works fine.
Tom

Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

The reason I opted for the Biketronics,Tailbones converter was because the ad in J&P Cycles said I wouldn't need to add a load equalizer,with this converter,when I switched to LED rear signals. I was told different on this forum, so I called and talked to the tech at Biketronics. He said the ad in the J&P catalog was missing some key words and it should not have stated that you wont need the load equalizer, but thought there was a good chance they would work anyway.
He told me that once the new LEDs were hooked up, to do a momentary disconnect of the battery, this would give the ECM a chance to adjust for the different load. Then he said to flash my right signal a few times (he said it might start off blinking real fast, it didn't) then let the left signal flash a few times. I did it and everything works fine.
Tom

I was looking at that very same one and for the same reason. I'm glad to hear it worked out well. I'll probably order mine today. Since I know the Tailbones works, I might just as well go with that one. I think it was only a few dollars difference in price.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 AM
BlackBetty06
Advanced

Well i just bit the bullet and bought the led red/amber kit from custom dynamics!! Ill post pics when I get them installed, now if I could just get my strutless 200 fender and side mount plate installed I might be done for awhile...