Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slim 200mm rear tire , affordable ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013 | 07:21 PM
Goldtop Dude
|
Tourer
Default Slim 200mm rear tire , affordable ??

Thinking about a larger rear end , not a 150 or 160 but 180 or 200

Anyone consider the option ?

tc,
GTD

Old 10-25-2013 | 08:49 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

You can always switch out your rear tire and wheel for one off of a CrossBones, and I just happen to have one... There is a video on youtube that shows a Slim with a Bones rear 200mm. Im actually looking for a rear wheel or wheels off of a Slim for my Bones.

Old 10-25-2013 | 09:03 PM
Goldtop Dude
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Santo
You can always switch out your rear tire and wheel for one off of a CrossBones, and I just happen to have one... There is a video on youtube that shows a Slim with a Bones rear 200mm. Im actually looking for a rear wheel or wheels off of a Slim for my Bones.
Need to know what is costs $$. Don't see the YouTube

TV,
GTD

Old 10-25-2013 | 09:12 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

A guy by the name of Nyle Wing posted it. I dont know how to add the link but type in 2012 HarleySoftail Slim with 200 rear tire. From what I have seen aheard it is a direct swap as far as swing arm and wheel. You would need a wider fender and fender struts.

Old 10-25-2013 | 09:41 PM
Nooovie
Advanced

Here is a link to the video...

Old 10-25-2013 | 09:43 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by Santo
A guy by the name of Nyle Wing posted it. I dont know how to add the link but type in 2012 HarleySoftail Slim with 200 rear tire. From what I have seen aheard it is a direct swap as far as swing arm and wheel. You would need a wider fender and fender struts.

There is the video.

Dammit, beat me to it.

Old 10-25-2013 | 09:48 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

thanks guys, I have to learn how to load videos

Old 10-26-2013 | 09:15 AM
Goldtop Dude
|
Tourer

Thanks much for the vid Still looks great now , have to give it some thought. Anyone to offer pros and cons??

tc,
GTD

Old 10-26-2013 | 10:06 AM
Santo
Road Warrior

I have had bikes with 150mm rear tires and now my XBones with a 200mm tire and I cant really notice any diffrence besides aesthetics. Can't really think of any real pros and cons besides these.

Pros
Cool looking with a more aggresive look.
Your Slim will stand out in a crowd.
Thumbs up from the cool kids
Cons
Having to trade or buy a 200 wheel and tire.
Labor (doing it yourself)
Paying someone to do the work for you.
Having to buy and paint a new fender.
Having HATERS asking you why you changed over to a wide wheel saying "Thats why they call it a Slim because it was made to have a skinny rear tire, why not just buy a bike that comes factory with a 200 wheel?" My responce would be " Because anyting stock sucks!!"

Old 10-26-2013 | 03:52 PM
BMM48
Tourer

I have the complete set up sitting in my garage with the RSD fender and 200 rear wheel but I haven't done the change and it has now been six months.... And I can't see me doing it anymore....

I am far from one of those who gets all emotional and obsessed with keeping a Slim slim; I am running a 23" on the front so I am probably already hated by the haters! I think it is more because the back end of the Slim actually looks pretty cool when you get a glimpse and it is different but to be honest I don't think I liked it until I put the 150 on the rear - it really did make a big difference on the eyes.

In as far as pro's and con's and just thinking about it as I write one of the other issues why I didn't change it as I needed to put another hole in the RSD fender to put a motherwell rack on. I love heading out for a few days and not being able to use the rear fender for storage without scratching the crap out of didn't seem real appealing (could always try a handlebar bag). Also don't forget you will need a new seat so the costs can start to add up if you are on any sort of budget....

For me, the 150 rear tire makes a big difference visually and is enough to keep me happy for now... But every time I see a 200 I do think of heading out to the garage...

Quick Reply: Slim 200mm rear tire , affordable ??