Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I can't see

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Zombie Topz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! I can't see

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking into to picking up a new headlight for my 2013 Fatboy. I do a lot of riding in the Texas Hill Country, which is 99% unlit winding roads. I'm wanting to get headlights STRICTLY for visibility. I don't give a hoot how they look. All I have now is the stock light, and it's terrible.

I've been looking a lot at the online stores, and I have no idea whether to get LED or Halogen or passing lights or no passing lights....etc. Can any of ya'll with more knowledge of the subject en"lighten" me (I know, it was a cheap pun)? Maybe tell me what you have on your bikes, and tell me what you like and don't like about it. Also, about what did ya'll pay to upgrade your lights?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.headwinds.com/
I have a Headwinds Mariah Concours Rocket Headlight and tri-bar headlamp with a 55/100 H4. The shell body is longer than stock, so I also needed their headlight mount.
I also have their matching 2" 35W spotlights in side mount configuration I'm going to mount below the footpegs in the pre-drilled crash bar mounting holes.

I just need to quit being so lazy.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Zombie Topz
Advanced

Thanks for sharing the link, but I have no idea what to even consider. They have the following options: LED, HID, Xenon, Halogen, and sealed beam. Sorry if I wasn't super clear, but what I really want to know is what are the best options as far as visibility. I also want to know if I should stick with the single headlight or get the two smaller lights (i think they are called passing lights) on either side of the headlight. I've heard they help with lighting a wider stretch of road, which would definitely help on those curves I mentioned.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,136 Likes on 653 Posts

My son put HID kits in his Deluxe. I installed the TruckLite LED headlight and auxiliary lights. Both are less expensive alternatives than the LED conversions offered by the MOCO. I guess you could also go with an aftermarket replacement for your headlight bulb. Good luck...

Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 4,114 Posts

If your main concern is visibility, it will come down to HID versus LED. There is an ongoing argument whether HID is brighter than LED with support for each side.

HID
Pros:
Less expensive

Cons:
Draw more amperage from the battery than LED
Require a ballast and possibly a delay relay installed or a switch for the headlight

LED
Pros:
Usually plug 'n play (may require a load equalizer wired in)

Cons:
More expensive

Additionally, if you are looking for more light, the passing lamps will help. They will assist in lighting the peripheral areas better.

The first decision you need to make is whether you want to go HID or LED. For that, I would research each online. You can also search this forum for previous threads on each type of lighting system.

Once you make the decision for HID or LED lighting on your bike, you can post back for recommendations on brand and even wiring in the passing lamps.

Personally, I chose HD LED lights all around on my 2012 Heritage (headlight, passing lamps, turn signals and even fender tips). There are less expensive LED lights from other companies. My fender tip lamps are from Custon Dynamics.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Zombie Topz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
If your main concern is visibility, it will come down to HID versus LED. There is an ongoing argument whether HID is brighter than LED with support for each side.

HID
Pros:
Less expensive

Cons:
Require a ballast and possibly a delay relay installed or a switch for the headlight

LED
Pros:

Cons:
More expensive

Additionally, if you are looking for more light, the passing lamps will help. They will assist in lighting the peripheral areas better.

The first decision you need to make is whether you want to go HID or LED. For that, I would research each online. You can also search this forum for previous threads on each type of lighting system.

Once you make the decision for HID or LED lighting on your bike, you can post back for recommendations on brand and even wiring in the passing lamps.

Personally, I chose HD LED lights all around on my 2012 Heritage (headlight, passing lamps, turn signals and even fender tips). There are less expensive LED lights from other companies. My fender tip lamps are from Custon Dynamics.

I'm thinking I would really like a setup like yours, how much did it cost for the headlight and the passing lamps (including the housings, brackets, etc.)?

Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM
scottman50
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kuryakyn leds on both mine. They are great on straight line or slight curves. They suck on switchbacks. You are basically turning into the dark. You will see the deer better though.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

HID
Pros:
Less expensive

Cons:

LED
Pros:

Cons:
More expensive

I went with a HID kit that was less then $30 and it works great. Sure they draw more amp's but were not powering up a touring bike with all the goodies. I installed an on/off switch inline on the headlight power wire so when I start the bike I can shut off the light thus eliminating any chance of blowing a fuse. You can do the same thing with a relay.

Just to add to the list of pro's and con's for the LED light a big con to me is if something should happen and the light stops working your stuck with no light . With the Hid I carry my stock bulb in a bag and can replace a burned out or broken light in less then 5 min on the side of the road. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Misbehaven; 10-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have gone totally LED, Brake, turn signal, headlight and running lights. Below is pic of the LED headlight and the LED front turn signal and the OEM running lights. I took the pic before I put the running lights in. They are incredible. Even when riding in the daylight the headlight will reflect the roadsigns. At night is like riding down a lit up road. I highly recommend them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Help! I can't see