Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I can't see

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie Topz
I'm thinking I would really like a setup like yours, how much did it cost for the headlight and the passing lamps (including the housings, brackets, etc.)?
On a Heritage, only the bulbs are required. The 7" headlight and 4" passing lamps are stock so no housings or brackets are required.

When I purchased the bike in 2011, the 7" Daymaker LED headlight and pair of 4" passing lamps were $880. Today, the same lights are $895.
7" Daymaker LED headlight: HD part 73391-10A - $494.95
4" LED passing lamps: HD part 73396-10A - $399.95

The headlight you see on my bike is NOT the new Daymaker LED Reflector.

I also installed the Independent Control Auxiliary Lamp wire harness kit which allows the passing lamps to remain on with the high beams. It is HD part 692004421 - $29.95.

You can certainly purchase LED lights for less than HD brand. Most use Truck-Lite bulbs. Again, realize that you may require a load equalizer when installing LED bulbs or passing lamps.

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I went with a HID kit that was less then $30 and it works great. Sure they draw more amp's but were not powering up a touring bike with all the goodies. I installed an on/off switch inline on the headlight power wire so when I start the bike I can shut off the light thus eliminating any chance of blowing a fuse. You can do the same thing with a relay.

Not required with LED. I start my bike with the headlight and passing lamps on without any strain on the battery. No switch or delay relay required.

Just to add to the list of pro's and con's for the LED light a big con to me is if something should happen and the light stops working your stuck with no light .

Um, isn't that true for any bulb? If a bulb goes out your stuck with no light. Actually, it depends on your setup. If my headlight stops working, I still have the passing lamps.

With the Hid I carry my stock bulb in a bag and can replace a burned out or broken light in less then 5 min on the side of the road. Just something to think about.

Why do you believe that replacing an LED bulb is any different than HID? I can carry a spare LED bulb just as easily and replace my headlight in a few minutes as well.

Upon further comparison, HID bulbs are subject to vibration failure, although uncommon, when it is a near impossibility with LED.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Like Triple M, I've gone 100% LED and don't regret it at all.

If you're interested, there's a new, 6 light Daymaker, from the old 4 light one. It's supposed to light up more dead spots that the 4 didn't.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Zombie Topz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the great feedback. I'm going to go ahead and get the LEDs. I'll try it out with just the headlight, and if I think I need to up it a bit, I'll add passing lights as well. I'm gonna look into that 6 led daymaker.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the great feedback. I'm going to go ahead and get the LEDs. I'll try it out with just the headlight, and if I think I need to up it a bit, I'll add passing lights as well. I'm gonna look into that 6 led daymaker.
I'm interested in what you think of the HD LED Daymaker. I'm considering the new one also.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just to add to the list of pro's and con's for the LED light a big con to me is if something should happen and the light stops working your stuck with no light .

Um, isn't that true for any bulb? If a bulb goes out your stuck with no light. Actually, it depends on your setup. If my headlight stops working, I still have the passing lamps.

With the Hid I carry my stock bulb in a bag and can replace a burned out or broken light in less then 5 min on the side of the road. Just something to think about.

Why do you believe that replacing an LED bulb is any different than HID? I can carry a spare LED bulb just as easily and replace my headlight in a few minutes as well.

Because with the HID setup being plug and play all you have to do is unplug it and put a stock bulb back in. If you don't carry an extra bulb one can be found at any auto store. With the LED good luck getting a replacement off the shelf.
[/QUOTE]

Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 832 Posts

This is what I installed. Pretty simple plug and play installation. No load equalizer required...
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c-3set.html

Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
blu92in99
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Can any of ya'll with more knowledge of the subject en"lighten" me (I know, it was a cheap pun)?
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default READ THIS: Harley LED Headlight and Driving Lights

My experience with the Harley LED HL and spots is horrible. I too live in and ride in the TX Hill Country and the lights are a huge disappointment. They are VERY bright when running straight down the road, but hit the twisties and you are blind. The sharp cut off of the light beam leaves you shaking in your boots when you hit the turns. I've taken the bike back twice for adjustment and the Dealer has adjusted for me, but to no avail they don't do the trick. My issues with the HD lights are:
1. Low to no visibility during the day unless the car is looking straight at you.
2. The issues of seeing in the corners
3. I'm getting feedback from riders in front of me that they can not see my spots when they are more than three/four bike lengths in front of me (NOT GOOD)!
4. The price
5. The difficulty adjusting them
6. The fact that i got suckered into buying them

zlaneb

Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We went with the Trucklite headlight and Aux lights. Very bright and the coverage is good. Adjusted the Aux lights to fan out from the headlight so we can see in the corners and the cagers can see us in the daylight.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Zombie Topz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I ended up getting the series 7 trucklite. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I love it! Took 5 minutes to install. All I needed was a screwdriver. It was truly plug and play. The light is much much brighter than stock, and I'm not disappointed with the width of the beam either. I would buy again for sure.