Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Maxi fuse??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2003 Maxi fuse??

Hey guys:

I've got a 2003 Night Train. Does anybody have any idea where my "Maxi Fuse" is located?

Supposedly there's a 30 amp fuse located somewhere around my battery / fuse box area.

I installed a new battery today and once I turned on the bike I heard a "pop" and the bike is now electrically dead. I called my local independent shop and they said to check the Max Fuse.

I found the short. It looks like the negative battery terminal had rubbed down so thin that once I moved around things in that area it shorted out.

I've looked all around and I checked my manual and it talks a lot about replacing the 30 amp fuse but there are no pictures or descriptions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually a big fuse down the side of the batt. Not in a fuse box, but rather just a single blade fuse terminal wired in

Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
Usually a big fuse down the side of the batt. Not in a fuse box, but rather just a single blade fuse terminal wired in

I don't know man. If there's a 30 amp Max fuse in this area, I can't find it.

I guess it could also be called the "Circuit Breaker" because the electrical diagram I have mentions a 30 amp fuse in the circuit breaker. The manual mentions that it's under the back rim and that it's easier to get at it by removing the back wheel.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

If it is like my '03 ultra, its not a fuze in the conventional sense, but a circuit breaker. It is a rectangular metal box (or cover) with a fiber back that connects between two 3/16 electrical posts. Located in front of the battery on a metal frame bridge. They are a piece of crap, and vibration and heat takes them out. Against the advise of my dealer's mechanic I replaced mine (after three failures, including the update) with a 40 amp fuse. May not be the same on your bike, hope it helps.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Maxi fuse was not introduced until 2007. Your 03 has, within the fuse box, 15 amp System Fuses, a Starter Relay, and a (System Relay if it's EFI). There is also a 30 amp mechanical breaker located in front of the rear tire splash guard. When you start the bike, the Starter draws massive amps from the battery. In the event that the starter malfunctions, the breaker prevents excessive amps from transmitting into the individual 15 amp systems.

This breaker overheats if it receives more than 30 amps causing it to trip. Once it cools down, it will reset. Additionally, these breakers are not waterproof and will corrode over time. IMO it should be replaced every few years.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

Olongapo1; Your 03 has, within the fuse box, 15 amp System Fuses, a Starter Relay, and a System Relay. Yep, gotchya!

Olongapo1; There is also a 30 amp mechanical breaker located in front of the rear tire splash guard. OK

Olongapo1; Once it cools down, it will reset. I just went out and tried turning on the bike. To my surprise I had Acc Power and ignition power with lights and the fuel injector powered up. Once I hit the start button there was a loud click and everything died.

Olongapo1; IMO it should be replaced every few years. I'm going to look further into this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alien Spyder,

You have one of those frustrating electrical issues that requires time and proper diagnostic procedures. The Positive battery cable connects to a terminal on the starter. Connected to this same starter terminal is another wire which runs to one side of the 30 amp breaker. On the other side of the breaker are two wires; one going to the ignition switch on the console, and one going to the voltage regulator.

The symptoms you described suggest that the problem is related to energizing the Starter and there could be several reasons for this situation. Send me a mail at olongapo2@gmail.com

I can send you electrical schematics for your 03 and possible solutions.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Alien Spyder,

You have one of those frustrating electrical issues that requires time and proper diagnostic procedures. The Positive battery cable connects to a terminal on the starter. Connected to this same starter terminal is another wire which runs to one side of the 30 amp breaker. On the other side of the breaker are two wires; one going to the ignition switch on the console, and one going to the voltage regulator.

The symptoms you described suggest that the problem is related to energizing the Starter and there could be several reasons for this situation. Send me a mail at olongapo2@gmail.com

I can send you electrical schematics for your 03 and possible solutions.
My neighbor & I played around with it for quite a while early this morning and we ended up putting it on his trailer and bringing it to a local independent shop to have them look it over.

It's bizarre because all I did was change the battery and the whole electrical system died.

I've had my bike apart in pieces many times and I've never had any electrical problems.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what they find.

Spyder

Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Conga
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alien Spyder
My neighbor & I played around with it for quite a while early this morning and we ended up putting it on his trailer and bringing it to a local independent shop to have them look it over.

It's bizarre because all I did was change the battery and the whole electrical system died.

I've had my bike apart in pieces many times and I've never had any electrical problems.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what they find.

Spyder
It sounds exactly like the problem that I am having on my 07 FXST. If you don't mind telling, what did you find out caused this, and how did it get fixed? Thanks!