Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Handlebars Myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013 | 09:52 PM
CGD
|
Intermediate
Default Changing Handlebars Myself

I got a 2012 Blackline and am changing the handlebars. I am not very handy and am wondering if I would be able to do it myself or is it too complicated and I need to take it to someone? The cables would be the same length so i wouldn't need new or longer ones, I'm keeping the same control switches and covers. Would anybody recommend I do it? Suggestions and thoughts please.

Old 10-12-2013 | 06:52 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Changing bars is pretty easy man. Just take you're time and pay attention to how you take things apart. If you're just too nervous, nothing wrong with that, I'm sure a riding buddy would be glad to help. And your local dealer would probably do it for an hour labor. Lots of resources on YouTube. Plenty of how to's there check it out. I learn just about everything from YouTube and forums

Old 10-12-2013 | 06:55 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

One other thing. With it being your first time you'll prolly knock the master cylinder around and need to bleed the brakes. If you're not comfortable with that, local shop might be you're best bet.

Old 10-12-2013 | 07:12 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Watch a couple of you tube videos, torque stuff back, don't over tighten your switch covers and you will be fine. Oh and place that little shim in the brake handle when remove the right controls to protect that little switch.

Old 10-12-2013 | 07:19 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Should be super easy on a Blackline. Especially if you are swapping to another set of separate bars. The plugs on the wiring are small enough now that you can just fish them through the bars, no reason to take the wiring apart. If you don't have to change cables, you could do this swap in under an hour I bet.

1)Pop up the tank and unlug the 3 plugs that go into the bars.
2)Loosen the 2 torx bolts on each handlebar control assembly and slide them off while feeding the wires through.
3)Remove the 2 nuts holding the bars to the trees.
4)Fish wiring through new bars
5)Bolt new bars to trees
6)Tighten handlebar control clamps
7)Plug wires back in under tank, and bolt tank back on
8)Drink beer and smile.

Old 10-12-2013 | 07:22 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

And...cover your tank with thick towel, or maint cover BEFORE wrenching. Tank dents suck...I know.

Old 10-12-2013 | 09:35 AM
Santo
Road Warrior

Go for it man.... there is no better feeling then tooling on your own bike and seeing the outcome. I have done all my handle bar swaps and all other work on my bikes myself with a lot of patients, basic tools, service manual, Youtube, HDF, and a few beers you can do it. I have had some bad experiences with my local dealer and a few indys they just don't treat the bike like if it were their own and do things half ***. I can never trust if they tightened the bolts down correctly. Do some research first then jump in with both feet, another plus is you will learn how your bike is put together....thats a big confidence booster...

Old 10-12-2013 | 09:55 AM
Papa Joe
Tourer

It's an easy enough task, especially if you aren't changing cables. Go for it!

Old 10-12-2013 | 10:18 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Also, make sure you unplug the gas line before removing or propping up the tank. Those break easily so make sure you undo it, its a quick disconnect.

Old 10-12-2013 | 10:30 AM
Santo
Road Warrior

Are the control wires on a Blackline wired internally from factory?

Quick Reply: Changing Handlebars Myself