Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end "whirring"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013 | 12:58 AM
ShovelnTC
|
Intermediate
Default Rear end "whirring"

Hey guys, I have a 2013 Slim and have noticed a "whirring" coming from the rear end.

It is most noticeable when going quite slow such as when coasting to a stop or idling down the road under 10mph, if going much faster than that road and engine noise drown it out.

I've jacked the rear end up and can't hear anything like a bearing noise when spinning by hand and the belt seems to have about 3/8" deflection just with moderate finger pressure.

I've only had the bike for a short time and haven't done many miles so don't know if this is normal.

I'm guessing it is the belt but does this sound normal?

Don't bother referring me to the dealer as so far I haven't had any help with another issue from them so have no confidence in them so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:52 AM
jam436
Supporter

Sounds like it could be the belt.
Is the bike new? You mentioned you don't have many miles on it yet.
Perhaps it's just not broken in yet?
A new belt may stretch a bit and will require another adjustment at your 1K service...
A tight belt will howl...

H-D sells a tool for this for about $35:
Belt Tension Tester Tool
Use to check tension on secondary belt.
P/N 40006-85 - $34.95

I don't have the service manual handy so I don't know what the actual deflection should be, but you should see a little slot on your belt guard with hash marks as an aid.
One rule of thumb I've seen posted a lot, is that when the belt is tensioned correctly you should be able to twist it about 45°...
Here's a thread on belt "break-in":
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-period-2.html

Last edited by jam436; 10-11-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2013 | 08:00 AM
Kenney
Road Captain

Check your rear brakes, they may be dragging. Engage the rear break as if you’re slowing down and check for the noise. Also if you can, look to see if your can see light between the dicks and the break pad.

Old 10-11-2013 | 08:16 PM
Mike NY
Road Master

My guess is the belt is too tight. I had the same sound after changing my back wheel. Had to loosen the belt a bit....

Mike

Old 10-11-2013 | 08:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Shoot some light puffs of baby power on the belt. If it's the belt, it will go away for a short period.. Actually your belt sounds loose to me. Forget all the silliness of this and that way of adjusting. That belt and pulleys and replacement is close to a $1000. Get you a gage from Harley or Amazon and lay across saddle since a Softail says weight in the saddle when setting. The other bikes are different. Really would not think a 2013 would be loose unless someone has had it apart. Remember the rear of a Softail aligns to the motor and swingarm bearings, not front tire. So make sure the adjusters are equal to the milled flats on the arm also. Belt should just slightly rub outside edge of the rear pulley when rolled fwd.

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:35 PM
ShovelnTC
|
Intermediate

Thanks guys,

I have a force meter so does anyone know what force I should be setting?

I can buy the Harley tool if needed but my force meter is likely 10 times the quality so would be better if I can find out the actual force needed.

Cheers, Mark.

Old 10-12-2013 | 07:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

My 04 is 10 lbs and 5/16-3/8 with you weight on the seat. The force gage has a 5/8 plate width that does the pushing, so if you tool is close,you should be fine. I have found on the seat and off the seat is the tolerance range but cannot remember which way. Need to check the tolerance for your 2013 probably.

Old 10-12-2013 | 07:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member

For yrs its been posted in here to check Ur belt without having the tool is to grab the bottom belt midway front to rear between Ur finger and thumb.

IF U can twist it about 45* then its pretty close to proper adjustment.

Old 10-12-2013 | 05:43 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

If I hear any noise coming from the rear wheel area my guess is that the pads are dragging....new bike fresh pads..hmm...brake dust build up on the brake piston cups. Take caliper off and pads and clean the build up off the pistons.....should allow them to sit back where they should be = no noise.

good advice on the belt tension 45 degree turn will do you just right. While your at it take a coat hanger and zip tie on it and check your rear alignment (axle nut adjuster screw). Measure from the center of the rear axle bolt to another reference point on the frame to make sure its the same distance on both sides. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2013 | 06:53 AM
oct1949
Club Member

If Ur pads are dragging, then with bike on lift, the rear wheel will be hard to spin, like U can't spin it over one turn.

Quick Reply: Rear end "whirring"