Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike pulls to the left side

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014 | 06:46 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Since reading about this alignment issue's come up... I've read here and there that the HD MoCo have purposely offset the front and rear's vertical line somewhere between 8 and 13mm.
Modern Harley-Davidsons have the rear wheel offset somew
here
Anyone here able to debunk as to why, or explain as to why this statement's presence rampant through out the www?
Could this be HD's way of balancing the engine's disproportional position in how it sits on the frame? And how it effects the steering characteristics of the bike?

Old 12-06-2014 | 02:22 PM
greenbax
Banned

Originally Posted by Dooley
Many a dealer will say the same thing......"dont take your hands off the bars" ....
Yes, we know for safety's sake you should keep your hands on the bars....but that's not the point.....
The point is the bike should not pull to the left if I do take my hands off.

It's like the old joke:

Patient: "doc, it hurts when I do this"
Doc: "dont do that".

Ummm....not the answer I'm looking for Doc......
You both are totally missing the point. You take your hands off to check the alignment. The bike SHOULD continue in a straight line is the point of this thread. Just a doing it for a second isn't dangerous unless you're a terrible rider.

Old 12-06-2014 | 02:29 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

It's you. Your applying to much front brake and not enough rear to counter balance.

Old 12-06-2014 | 03:17 PM
greenbax
Banned

Originally Posted by RANGER73
It's you. Your applying to much front brake and not enough rear to counter balance.
No one said anything about applying brakes, so not correct. We are taking about riding straight then removing your hands off the steering.

Old 12-06-2014 | 10:12 PM
RomperStomper
Intermediate

Hang some of those extra long tassels off the right side of your handlebar and the drag it produces will make your bike ride straight as an arrow.

Old 12-07-2014 | 09:33 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sorry, you said pulling no drifting.

The tassels are a keepsake front Rompers wife's nipples.

Old 12-08-2014 | 03:21 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by greenbax

You both are totally missing the point. You take your hands off to check the alignment. The bike SHOULD continue in a straight line is the point of this thread. Just a doing it for a second isn't dangerous unless you're a terrible rider.
1. Both of who?

2. Exactly what did you read in my quote that makes you think I disagree with what you're saying and that I'm therefore "missing the point"?

Old 06-25-2018 | 10:55 PM
Guttersnipe
Stage I
Default Pulls left

They don't all do it. My dyna did for a short time. It started over a couple years time. Solution, tightened spokes on front rim. They were all loose and needed to be tightened and the front rim trued. My 2014 deluxe just started doing it. Had new tires and brakes put on and it started to pull left when i got it finished. Solution, rear tire out of alignment. From center of axel to center of bolt on swing arm on right side was 3/8" shorter then same distance on left side from center of axel to bolt on swing arm. Solution, used coat hanger and wrenches to adjust an align rear tire to get the same measurement from center of axel to bolts on swing arm making sure both sides measured equal on the coat hanger. Check belt tension when finished.