Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike pulls to the left side

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013 | 08:30 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suntower
Are you sure you're sitting in the middle of the seat?
Good point. For a dealer to say that they all do that, he is wrong because my Springer doesn't. When I ride, I sit square on the seat and lots of time, on a long ride, I only use my right hand on my bike. I can slow down and also speed up without any pull or lean to the left. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but I have also found that if I don't sit square on my bike seat, that will cause it to want to drift one way or the other, just an idea to try.

Old 10-15-2013 | 08:45 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Good point. For a dealer to say that they all do that, he is wrong because my Springer doesn't. When I ride, I sit square on the seat and lots of time, on a long ride, I only use my right hand on my bike. I can slow down and also speed up without any pull or lean to the left. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but I have also found that if I don't sit square on my bike seat, that will cause it to want to drift one way or the other, just an idea to try.
For the most part as long as I have my either of my hands on the handlebars I get no lean. It is only when i take both of my hands off the bars that i notice the lean to the left.

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (07-06-2019)
Old 10-16-2013 | 08:31 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I went for a ride today and found a stretch of highway that had been paved just a couple of years ago. Sitting square on my seat, I raised my hands just above my grips and rode that way for a little while. Needless to say, I rode in a straight line, just like I thought I would. Maybe some bikes do lean to the left but mine doesn't.

Old 10-17-2013 | 12:24 AM
wmprof
Road Master

Originally Posted by It'sjustme
Rear tire out of alignment. Need left axel adjustment...per my husband.
Smart husband.

I can ride all day without hands on handlebars and don't have to lean either way.

Weight, exhaust, seating position have NOTHING to do with whether bike pulls or not. Having front and rear tires aligned is answer. Just having rear axle even is not aligned.

Quit taking your bike to the dealer and learn how to fix it yourself.

Old 10-17-2013 | 12:50 AM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I went for a ride today and found a stretch of highway that had been paved just a couple of years ago. Sitting square on my seat, I raised my hands just above my grips and rode that way for a little while. Needless to say, I rode in a straight line, just like I thought I would. Maybe some bikes do lean to the left but mine doesn't.
You must be..."The Chosen one". Lol

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:36 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDogg
You must be..."The Chosen one". Lol
Not really, I was just passing on information based on my experience at riding. As for being "The chosen one" I'll leave that job to you I am sure that you are much better qualified for that job that I am.

Old 10-18-2013 | 01:00 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain

The way my dealer delivered my new bike it would actually fall into a left turn the minute you took your hands off the bars. I checked the wheel alignment and it was like two inches off. It was pointing to the left.

Needless to say I do all my own setups. Just about everything on a stock Harley is likely to be off including where the pegs are, where the bars are and the angle of the seat. Plus the alignment, the neck bearings and ...........

Oh by the way, my Deuce now rides straight as an arrow.

Old 10-18-2013 | 01:42 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
The way my dealer delivered my new bike it would actually fall into a left turn the minute you took your hands off the bars. I checked the wheel alignment and it was like two inches off. It was pointing to the left.

Needless to say I do all my own setups. Just about everything on a stock Harley is likely to be off including where the pegs are, where the bars are and the angle of the seat. Plus the alignment, the neck bearings and ...........

Oh by the way, my Deuce now rides straight as an arrow.
When you say "pointing to the left" . Do you mean that the rear wheel itself was pointing left or the rear wheel center was left of the center line of the front wheel?

Old 10-18-2013 | 03:24 PM
qbert1963
Advanced
Old 10-18-2013 | 04:02 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Default Who do you trust--Me or your own eyes? (Groucho Marx)

Originally Posted by Falcon195
When you say "pointing to the left" . Do you mean that the rear wheel itself was pointing left or the rear wheel center was left of the center line of the front wheel?

Neither.

The rear wheel was cocked to the right which pointed the bike's front wheel to the left while moving.

It is "steering the bike from the rear."

Make sense? It felt like somebody turned the front wheel to the left because the bike was set up with the rear wheel pointing to the right. It doesn't matter which wheel is turned---either front or back. A turn is a turn.

Boy you can really feel it when you stop fighting the bike and let it "complete the turn" by letting go the bars.

ALIGN YOUR WHEELS. Don't worry about axel offsets which mainly help the drive belt line up with the tranny. This offset when present on a few models causes little in the way of trouble. It is only a little shift in weight balance. NOT like the bike is trying to "turn" with real force.

But out of alignment wheels that are "making a turn" will really kill your handling...

Last edited by rleedeuce; 10-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: My bike pulls to the left side