Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike pulls to the left side

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013 | 11:26 AM
hogwash
Road Captain

As soon as I put Samson duals on my '12 Deluxe it pulls left so much that I almost don't enjoy riding it. Funny that I've heard pipes being on the same side is how it was engineered. You'd think the inertia from a 6-700lb motorcycle traveling at 55mph would out weight it.

Last edited by hogwash; 10-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2013 | 07:15 AM
Boost
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deadanimal
This is kind of a funny thread. As far as I understand the bike is not perfectly balanced considering it has the rather large primary cover hanging off the left side, and nothing on the right to counter that. I'm not sure how much all that weighs, clutches and all but I have noticed the same thing if I let go of the bars at speed I have to lean to the right to keep it from pulling left. It has just always seemed reasonable since the primary is on the left.
agreed.... All Harleys weigh more on the primary side. Every one of my bikes drifted to the left when you let go of the bars. Some more than others. My old RK tracked the straightest.

The imbalance is just a design flaw of our beloved Harley's.

Old 10-14-2013 | 07:37 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boost

agreed.... All Harleys weigh more on the primary side. Every one of my bikes drifted to the left when you let go of the bars. Some more than others. My old RK tracked the straightest.

The imbalance is just a design flaw of our beloved Harley's.
So if this is the case, why don't they all pull to left?
In the past 10 years I've owned an 04 Sporty, an 08 Fat Bob and now a 10 Road King. The Sportster and the Dyna rolled straight as an arrow if I took my hands off the bars but the Road King pulls left the second I take my hands off.
It does this on the same roads I rode the other bikes on so road crown is not the issue.
The Sporty may be more balanced from side to side but the Fat Bob is essentialy the same engine as the Road King so the weight of the primary can get crossed off the list too.
Had alignment on the King checked at the 5k and 10k service, the dealers anticipated response....."they all do that" ......
Ummm, no...they don't.

Old 10-14-2013 | 03:48 PM
Boost
Tourer

Inner Primary + Outer Primary + Clutch + Clutch Basket + Sprocket + Chain + Compensator + Stator + Oil = Heavy primary side.

If you put 15 lbs of potatoes on one side of a scale and 10 lbs on the other, the scale will tilt to the heavy side. Just ask Bill Nye.

Bikes with wide tire kits lean even worse due to the primary offset. This is why companies like Baker developed Right Side Drive Transmissions for custom frames.

Old 10-14-2013 | 06:51 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deadanimal
This is kind of a funny thread. As far as I understand the bike is not perfectly balanced considering it has the rather large primary cover hanging off the left side, and nothing on the right to counter that. I'm not sure how much all that weighs, clutches and all but I have noticed the same thing if I let go of the bars at speed I have to lean to the right to keep it from pulling left. It has just always seemed reasonable since the primary is on the left.
It's a two wheeled machine and I can not think of any reason for it to actually PULL to one side without something being seriously wrong with it, and for the dealer to have it a month, with nothing figured out is crazy. Have they ridden it? can they reproduce the issue, or determine if it is just a drift and not an actual PULL?

I know it's been a month now but do you think it is an actual pull or maybe just drifts left when hands off the bars?
+1
I also noticed that my 2012 Fatboy will lean to the left when I let go of the handlebars. The faster I go the more it seems to want to lean to the left.
I am OK with this as long as my doesn't lean as far left as does Obama.
I wonder if the guys living in the southern hemisphere have softails that lean to the right?

Old 10-14-2013 | 10:35 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Wouldn't the weight of the exhaust on the right help balance it some?

Mine doesn't go left. Although you can why would you ever want to take both hands of the handlebars?

Reminds me of the saying what does every red neck say before going to emergency room? Hey watch this!

Old 10-15-2013 | 10:53 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain

Mine doesn't go left. Although you can why would you ever want to take both hands of the handlebars?

Reminds me of the saying what does every red neck say before going to emergency room? Hey watch this!
Many a dealer will say the same thing......"dont take your hands off the bars" ....
Yes, we know for safety's sake you should keep your hands on the bars....but that's not the point.....
The point is the bike should not pull to the left if I do take my hands off.

It's like the old joke:

Patient: "doc, it hurts when I do this"
Doc: "dont do that".

Ummm....not the answer I'm looking for Doc......

Old 10-15-2013 | 11:38 AM
HDogg
Road Master

And when your front tire wears off,you'd notice that one side is worn off more than the other..Had a Fatboy Lo with about the same problem.When I asked the dealer why.they couldn't give me a sensible reason...ah well,it's Harley

Old 10-15-2013 | 06:14 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain

My question to you is. How do you know if your bike will pull left or not if you never have taken your hands off the bars?
Just askin.

Old 10-15-2013 | 06:30 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

I'm in the same boat with my heritage. The only reason it bugs me is I enjoy cruising single handed and it wears me out because I have to push to keep it from drifting. If I coast down a hill with my right hand only it's easy breezy. Maybe I'll find a chunk o' lead and mount it to the right side somewhere

Quick Reply: My bike pulls to the left side