Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where'd it GO..

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013 | 06:25 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member
Default Where'd it GO..

Well, its just 44 degrees out this morning and raining... Burrrr
Chit, Chit, Chit,, this Summer just went by toooo freaking FAST.

It is true,? time to start thinking about putting her away pretty soon??

At least it ain't

Old 10-07-2013 | 06:29 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master

I bought my bike in December and put 1000 miles riding weekends on her before spring. I will ride whenever weather permits. I prefer riding in cooler weather. Riding when it is hotter than Hades is no fun to me.

Old 10-07-2013 | 08:37 AM
jam436
Supporter

Same here.
I got the Slim in November and shortly after started to prep it for winter.
But the weather cooperated enough that I managed to get out for a few rides every month last winter.
Had it not sat on a jack while I tore into the front end and engine covers for PC I would have been out even more...

Old 10-07-2013 | 08:39 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I live in the deep South and the winter IS riding weather for me.

Old 10-07-2013 | 08:51 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Yeah, I am used to the 7 months a Yr of ridding.
What really get me is how fast it seems to go by.

I know the older I get the less I ride in colder weather.

This spring was wet and cold, we didn't get really good riding weather till June.

Old 10-07-2013 | 09:09 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by oct1949
I know the older I get the less I ride in colder weather.
After working mostly outdoors for 35 years, you learn how to dress for the weather - and a windshield doesn't hurt either...
I don't mind being cold, and I don't mind being wet, but being cold AND wet sucks...

But what I miss most this time of year is my quad...
I had a Kaw. 4X4 utility a few years back and I live next to about 400 acres of woods.
I'm thinking I may get another.
I like being out in the woods this time of year... and that thing was an absolute blast in the snow.

Last edited by jam436; 10-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2013 | 11:27 AM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Being a retired Millwright, I also know how to dress for the outdoors having had to work a lot outside in my 38 yrs.

As U say above (wet and cold is not a good ride), couple yrs ago wife and I got caught in a rain storm that was't supposed to happen. At least the radar showed clear sky's, we were 70 miles from home without our rain gear and it got in the low 50's. That was not a good ride home.

Took her almost two weeks to get over the Flu and colds over that one.

Biggest issue we have for not riding in the cold is with the wife's MS. We don't take any chances anymore. Her immune system with the Meds she takes is only 1/2 what normal people have. If she gets the Flu, its almost an automatic Hospital stay for her.

Old 10-07-2013 | 11:39 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Just above 40 when I rode to work this morning at 6:30, a little chilly, but will be a great ride home this afternoon.

Anything lower than 40 I'll be going to work by car.

Old 10-07-2013 | 11:56 AM
phanowel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I live in the deep South and the winter IS riding weather for me.
This.

My car broke two winters ago, and I rode the bike to work everyday from October to February. North Florida gets only a little chilly, but there were a few weeks that were slightly below freezing (high 20s).

But did I ever brag about it...

Old 10-07-2013 | 03:28 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Sad to say, hate to admit that the cold now keeps me off of my bike. I have had some significant injuries over the years and my body and bones can't take it anymore. I spent the weekend detailing my bike for a show, I got there and it was cancelled due to a poor turn out. I was a good 1 1/2 hours from home when the Sun hid behind the clouds and the temps dropped big time. It looked like rain so I tried to beat it home and failed at that and I hit rain. I am still stiff from that ride and not feeling the best either. I will hold off about another 3 or 4 weeks then I will change all the fluids and put her up for the winter. This year I did more riding than I have in a very long time and if most of you knew how many miles I put down you would laugh at me. It was a little disgusting when I checked my odometer because I thought I did fairly well. I will be starting a new thread addressing that issue here soon. Yes, this summer just flew by. I am starting my 2 weeks of nights tonight and I am just totally fed up on this crap. I am so close to retiring I can taste it and I can't wait until I don't have to do this anymore to my body and I can regain something that resembles a social life and ride until my heart is content. You guys out west and down south are blessed! Enjoy your riding while I us Northerners freeze for the next 4 or 5 months.

Quick Reply: Where'd it GO..