Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual Shotgun Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013 | 02:48 PM
Crazy
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Unusual Shotgun Shock question

Hey guys, I currently ride a Street Bob. I really like the Softail Slim, and was ready to buy one, but dragged the boards too much on the test ride. I'm a bit of a "spirited" rider in the twisties.

My question is this: Has anyone used a shotgun shock to raise a Softail? Can it even be done? I'm just wondering if the normal setting for a shotgun shock is stock height, and the only adjustment is lower? Or can you raise it also?

Also, how is the ride and handling with it raised if you can do that?

Thanks

Crazy

Old 10-05-2013 | 02:52 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes you can raise it 1" above stock.
It's raised in this picture where a buddy and I rode dirt roads to an old gold mine.

Since the rebound is adjusted separately, it can be adjusted to your need at the moment.

Old 10-05-2013 | 02:54 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

There is no normal position for the SS it can be set wherever you want it and set on the fly. It has 5" of travel, usually when running around town I'm about 1" lower than stock, as soon as I hit the highway Iraise it up a bit close to stock height with a nice soft rebound. As soon as I hit the twisties it raise it up and stiffen the rebound to increase my cornering ability. There is a really detail write up on it in the suspension section that is worth checking out.

Edit to add link

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/air-s...-write-up.html

Old 10-05-2013 | 03:03 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crazy
Hey guys, I currently ride a Street Bob. I really like the Softail Slim, and was ready to buy one, but dragged the boards too much on the test ride. I'm a bit of a "spirited" rider in the twisties.

My question is this: Has anyone used a shotgun shock to raise a Softail? Can it even be done? I'm just wondering if the normal setting for a shotgun shock is stock height, and the only adjustment is lower? Or can you raise it also?

Also, how is the ride and handling with it raised if you can do that?

Thanks

Crazy
Yes. You can raise the bike and still have it handle like a dream. I can raise mine 1" over stock.

Old 10-05-2013 | 03:40 PM
jam436
Supporter

Since you mentioned a Slim, on mine, which sits lower than most as it is, I have 5" of height adjustment - 2.5" lower than stock and 2.5" higher.

Last edited by jam436; 10-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2013 | 03:42 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Hit the twisties also. Keep the SS at full height and stiffen it a bit. Also moved the floorboards forward with halfmoons, installed Ricor Intimidators, set suspension sag correctly, and rarely drag now. Can not say enough how much better the ride is if you upgrade both front and rear suspensions rather then rear only. Despite this, not sure if a softail will be better in the twisties then a street bob.

Old 10-06-2013 | 09:51 AM
Crazy
|
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. This has really given me something to think about.

KumaRide: I'm not necessarily looking for a softail to be better in the twisties than my dyna, I'd just like it to drag less and still handle OK. Sounds like you do well with yours.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-06-2013 | 10:12 AM
Crazy
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
Since you mentioned a Slim, on mine, which sits lower than most as it is, I have 5" of height adjustment - 2.5" lower than stock and 2.5" higher.

Well, I just now read your write-up that Uncle Chester posted the link to. Fantastic job. I noticed that you also used the term "spirited" riding. It sounds like I have my answer.

My only concerns now are the need to remove the shock to drain the transmission, and the possible longevity of the unit. I tend to ride 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year, and keep a bike 5 to 7 years. Like I said before, I've got a lot to think about now.

Old 10-06-2013 | 10:49 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Crazy
Well, I just now read your write-up that Uncle Chester posted the link to. Fantastic job. I noticed that you also used the term "spirited" riding. It sounds like I have my answer.

My only concerns now are the need to remove the shock to drain the transmission, and the possible longevity of the unit. I tend to ride 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year, and keep a bike 5 to 7 years. Like I said before, I've got a lot to think about now.
I scraped once in a while too when I first got the bike, but you'll adjust quick.
I rarely do now unless I'm on a strange road and not familiar with the contours...

As for longevity, many have had theirs for years without issues, and they're doing R&D and making improvements all the time.
Besides, they come with a full lifetime warranty, and customer support, the likes of which you won't find anywhere.

Old 10-06-2013 | 12:15 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Changing fluids is also easy. Just take off two front bolts and the shock swings out of the way.