Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Heritage Classic coming from the touring line

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering a Heritage Classic coming from the touring line

I've been on a touring bike for the last 9 years or so. Recently had to sell my beloved 2013 Road Glide Ultra. Bought a used 2004 Road King Custom for a decent price just to keep me riding. Well the 5 speed and 88ci is killing me. As well as the old style frame. I have been considering trying to snag a used Road King 09-up but I am also considering the Heritage. Always loved the nostalgic look.

Just wondering if anyone has gone from any bike in the touring line to a Heritage. Any regrets?? I have read many people saying that the Softail is good for shorter trips but not good for the long haul or interstate speeds. Guess that is a matter of opinion. I have no plans in the near future for full week or longer trips. Mostly just 2-3 day trips at most and my usual all day rides which are usually 200-400 miles. Some possible 2-up but mostly solo. Would I be better off sticking with the King or would the Heritage fit the bill.

Also what are the better years to look for??? Never really kept up with the Softail line so I am not really familiar with what years had changes. Like 5 to six speed, 88 to 96, 96 to 103. Or any other improvements. Fill me in. I do know I was not a big fan of the years they did that swoosh paint scheme. Took away from the look IMO. Just can't recall what years they were.

One big concern is buffeting. I do get alot on the RK even with a 20" shield. When I test rode a 2010 Heritage yesterday I did get slammed pretty hard at speeds above 70mph. Would a taller shield help????

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I Own a Ultra and a Heritage. The farthest trip I have taken on the Heritage is 600 miles. Really missed the cruise control. It is lighter and the a cross wind is more noticeable. Around town and on short trips it is SO much nicer than the Ultra. If you take a passenger, the Ultra is a easy winner. Recently I did a 3500 mile trip with my wife. On that trip I was very glad to have the Ultra. It really depends on your riding style as to what is best.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an 09 Heritage. I live in the panhandle of Florida & rode to Birmingham AL, Columbus GA and back home in 5 days of back roads. Missed the cruise control but still a comfy bike to ride.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
You know my feelings but I'll try to field some of your questions. The 96 came in on the 07s, the 103 in 2012. 07s have 6 speed and 96ci, I personally wouldn't go further back but that is a personal opinion. The stock 96/6 speed on my 08 is more than adequate. Could it be faster? Sure but currently getting 47mpg and gets off the line better than my Road Glide did after a very expensive engine build and tune. 2010 I THINK had a frame change, not sure, either 10 or 11. Other than some minor suspension and frame and the obvious engine drive line changes these bikes( Heritage) are basically unchanged since they came out in 84! Buffeting can be cured with the addition of the Harley "fangs' or fork deflectors as they call them. I just installed and the difference is pretty dramatic. I like the look too, YMMV...If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the same bike I have. I got it pretty cheep, it had a few scratches on it but I found a take off tank and front fender, same color, brand new from Latus Salvage and am replacing them as soon as it is too cold to ride. After the swap I'll sell my existing tins and recoup most if not all of what I paid for the replacements. The stock seat is the best in the business. Could it be better? Sure, but I can sit in it all day with the addition of a riders backrest that cost me $60 on eBay! All in all I can't say enough about my Heritage. For the riding I do it is perfect and as NDBadlands said, it is MUCH better around town and for short trips. My girls say the back is more comfortable, but hey they are kids....

Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
One big concern is buffeting. I do get alot on the RK even with a 20" shield. When I test rode a 2010 Heritage yesterday I did get slammed pretty hard at speeds above 70mph. Would a taller shield help????

I had buffeting on the Heritage until I added chrome lower wind deflectors on the forks. It's interesting that most of the helmet buffeting comes up from below the w/shield, especially on the ones that don't have long lower extensions on the shield like the Heritages and the RKs.

HD sells a set and National Cycle has a set.

You'll be impressed with the results. The pic below is the National Cycle ones.

Attached Thumbnails Considering a Heritage Classic coming from the touring line-sblowers_flstf05_160.jpg  

Last edited by Norms 427; 10-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
I've been on a touring bike for the last 9 years or so. Recently had to sell my beloved 2013 Road Glide Ultra. Bought a used 2004 Road King Custom for a decent price just to keep me riding. Well the 5 speed and 88ci is killing me. As well as the old style frame. I have been considering trying to snag a used Road King 09-up but I am also considering the Heritage. Always loved the nostalgic look.

Just wondering if anyone has gone from any bike in the touring line to a Heritage. Any regrets?? I have read many people saying that the Softail is good for shorter trips but not good for the long haul or interstate speeds. Guess that is a matter of opinion. I have no plans in the near future for full week or longer trips. Mostly just 2-3 day trips at most and my usual all day rides which are usually 200-400 miles. Some possible 2-up but mostly solo. Would I be better off sticking with the King or would the Heritage fit the bill.

Also what are the better years to look for??? Never really kept up with the Softail line so I am not really familiar with what years had changes. Like 5 to six speed, 88 to 96, 96 to 103. Or any other improvements. Fill me in. I do know I was not a big fan of the years they did that swoosh paint scheme. Took away from the look IMO. Just can't recall what years they were.

I owned an 09 RKC and a 11 limited and both were great bikes. Now I have a 13 flstc and NO regrets at all. The first year for ABS and the 103 engine on softails was 2012 and I am a big fan of ABS so I would suggest 2012 or newer with ABS. I do get more buffeting on the hertiage on the freeway than I did with the limited but that was expected since it is not a tourer and doesn't have a fairing with lowers and such. Personally the buffeting I get on the freeway on the heritage isn't bad at all to me but it might have to do with the fact I wear a FF helmet. The softails from the frame, engine, design, handle bars, feet position, and seat position are different from any other Harley. I absolutely love the softail line and I would have a third softail if the wife could ride.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 828 Posts

I can't speak on going from a touring bike to the softails, but my Heritage has performed well on the various roadtrips I've taken as well as an absolute gem running around town.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Quarterbore
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from a newbie here! I wanted to drop in this thread as I decided this year that I want to get back into bikes as I grew up on a farm with dirt bikes and now some 25+ years later I got a Suzuki Dual sport DR650 to get my license with the plans to move up to my personal dream bike a Heritage Softail Classic.

I have one question to add to what was posted... I am a bigger guy at 6'3" and a fit 260 or so pounds. In my research so far I have been told by a few people that the Heritage Softtail might still be a bit small for a guy my size.

I want to thank the posters above for helping to break out the year enhancements as I had got advice to go with an 07 or newer but up until now I wasn't sure why I was given that advice.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Norms 427
I had buffeting on the Heritage until I added chrome lower wind deflectors on the forks. It's interesting that most of the helmet buffeting comes up from below the w/shield, especially on the ones that don't have long lower extensions on the shield like the Heritages and the RKs.

HD sells a set and National Cycle has a set.

You'll be impressed with the results. The pic below is the National Cycle ones.

Looking at those I am really surprised no one has made a shield that extends down like that. I was thinking that about the RK too.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by Quarterbore
Greetings from a newbie here! I wanted to drop in this thread as I decided this year that I want to get back into bikes as I grew up on a farm with dirt bikes and now some 25+ years later I got a Suzuki Dual sport DR650 to get my license with the plans to move up to my personal dream bike a Heritage Softail Classic.

I have one question to add to what was posted... I am a bigger guy at 6'3" and a fit 260 or so pounds. In my research so far I have been told by a few people that the Heritage Softtail might still be a bit small for a guy my size.

I want to thank the posters above for helping to break out the year enhancements as I had got advice to go with an 07 or newer but up until now I wasn't sure why I was given that advice.
I'm 6'1" and 250#; average fitness. My Heritage fits just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Considering a Heritage Classic coming from the touring line-img_0515.jpg  

Quick Reply: Considering a Heritage Classic coming from the touring line