Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422 w/RAP adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Prw3
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progressive 422 w/RAP adjustments

I just picked up a set of the 422 shocks with the RAP, install was pretty straight forward until i started adjusting the preload on the non rap shock. It doesnt seem to matter how much I clockwise turn the adjustable shock the preload doesnt change and is stiff as a board any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive even taken the right side none RAP shock off of the bike and tried to adjust it in a vice, no matter how many turns i go the preload doesnt seem to change....what am I missing? What surprises me is that when on the bike or in a vice the whole shock turns when trying to throttle down the preload.......Ive even measured with a digital caliper the distant between the exposed inner springs through the cutaway view holes and there doesn't seem to be any compression happening. There is no reference in the install manual if the shocks come from the factory already as soft or stiff as they can go so I have no refernce point...Im guessing they have no preload as they are stiff as hell, the RAP adjust can only increase preload and I have it turned counterclockwise all it can go...very frustrating when of course progressive is closed

Last edited by Prw3; 09-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope you get an answer to your question as I am looking at those shocks myself. After you get your dilemma figured out post a ride impression of the 422's.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
I hope you get an answer to your question as I am looking at those shocks myself. After you get your dilemma figured out post a ride impression of the 422's.
I'm also interested in your opinion. I don't want to slam it or juke up and down in the parking lot, I only want to improve my Heritage's ride.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, there's a locknut against the adjuster plate that must be backed off, I assume you already know this. Think of the adjuster plate and shaft as a long bolt with a nut on the end of it. When you turn the Adjuster Plate, the Shaft must remain stationary. There are flats on the shaft to hold it with a wrench. It's Ok if the shock body turns as long as the shaft remains stationary.

If you hold a nut and bolt in your hand, the old term "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey" works if you're looking directly at the nut. Turning the nut to the right (Clockwize) shortens the distance between the nut and bolt head and more bolt threads are exposed through the nut. Change your angle of view by looking directly at the bolt head and you must turn the nut to the left (Counter Clockwize) to shorten the distance between the nut and bolt head. The same principle applies when adjusting the shocks.

-Loosen the Jam Nut on the shaft.
-Hold the Shaft stationary with a wrench.
-Turn the shock Adjuster Plate.

When you're adjusting a shock preload, you're changing the length of the shaft that enters the shock body which applies pressure to the spring. Attached are a couple illustration photos.
Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive 422 w/RAP adjustments-img_1056.jpg   Progressive 422 w/RAP adjustments-img_1047.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Prw3
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

spoke to progressive this morning and the 422 with RAP off the shelf is really setup for the jumbo rider or 2up all the time. Im 175 solo and am well under the desired range for this shock. Luckily they are willing to swap the springs out for the standard springs that comes with the none HD RAP 422....shipping etc of course.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
tricolor
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prw3
spoke to progressive this morning and the 422 with RAP off the shelf is really setup for the jumbo rider or 2up all the time. Im 175 solo and am well under the desired range for this shock. Luckily they are willing to swap the springs out for the standard springs that comes with the none HD RAP 422....shipping etc of course.
Heavy Duty springs are way too stiff in any conditions!
I experienced the exact same problem, as discussed previously:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...n-the-fly.html

But even the regular spring rate is a little rough for a solo ride on my Rocker.
The shocks seem better suited for 350lbs up ! So my ride is now smooth only with a passenger when I turn the **** half a turn clockwise.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM
bolt54
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread, having the same issue with my HD 422's. Feels like it bottoms out on bumps and deviations in road...and the roads really suck around here. Disappointed so far and looking for a solution, emailing with progressive to see what I can do.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt54
Interesting thread, having the same issue with my HD 422's. Feels like it bottoms out on bumps and deviations in road...and the roads really suck around here. Disappointed so far and looking for a solution, emailing with progressive to see what I can do.
Bottoming out is totally diff than just being to stiff.. If this is Ur issue U may just need to adjust more preload on the shocks.

Bottoming out is caused by to light of shock springs or not enough Pre-load for Ur bike load.

Each bike has to be set up to rider(s) weight. Ever air shocks need to adjusted for pass weight.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Figures...I made an offer of 375.00 for new 422 rap on ebay. Hope they decline the offer. I weigh 205. I hate when something looks great and looks like a great deal and turns out to be ****. They should specify that they're recommended for 300+ lb fat bikers. Hope they decline my offer. Dayum. What a freakin hassle. I'll just return them.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatburger
Figures...I made an offer of 375.00 for new 422 rap on ebay. Hope they decline the offer. I weigh 205. I hate when something looks great and looks like a great deal and turns out to be ****. They should specify that they're recommended for 300+ lb fat bikers. Hope they decline my offer. Dayum. What a freakin hassle. I'll just return them.
If/once you get them, just swap out the springs with progressive. They are pretty accommodating. Also, ask the seller, since he is probably just drop shipping them from the factory anyways, to request the softer springs to be installed in them before they ship them out of the factory.... Worth a try.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422 w/RAP adjustments