Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about H-D Security System - Siren & Pager...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaresz
To clarify the warning chirps can be deativated, the actual theft siren cannot be.
OK got it...
I wish the siren was able to be deactivated though.

If someone was messing with my scoot, I wouldn't want them to know that I knew...
Besides if that thing is as loud as I hear it is, I wouldn't want it to scare the crap outta some nitwit and have him drop it.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
OK got it...
I wish the siren was able to be deactivated though.

If someone was messing with my scoot, I wouldn't want them to know that I knew...
Besides if that thing is as loud as I hear it is, I wouldn't want it to scare the crap outta some nitwit and have him drop it.
Yeah it is pretty loud. With the chirp enabled it gives you a warning sound if the bike is shifted in addition to the theft light, and hazards flashing. If the bike isnt put back stationary pretty quickly the madness starts.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The siren is really loud in the confined spaces of a garage. You might find yourself holding a screw driver with earplugs in while you read the manual and try to figure out how to disconnect the battery cable without making the siren go crazy. Hint: Turn the ignition on first. I also have the battery pager but haven't used it in a long time. It takes a different less common size battery plus a lot of space on the key ring. I also work in buildings all day where it's signal doesn't travel too well. The main reason i got the kit was for the siren since it occurred to me that a security system without one doesn't do much good. I mean it's great that the security disables the ignition but if it's only flashing the lights while it's loaded in the van it's probably not going to attract much attention.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
The main reason i got the kit was for the siren since it occurred to me that a security system without one doesn't do much good. I mean it's great that the security disables the ignition but if it's only flashing the lights while it's loaded in the van it's probably not going to attract much attention.
Besides the annoyance of the ear-splitting racket (if you ever go down to the garage without the fob) it seems to me that sirens are becoming ineffective.
Car sirens are so commonplace in parking lots that no one even pays pay attention to them anymore.
I know I don't. That was actually one of the reasons why I didn't want the siren.

But as was mentioned here earlier, if someone wants it, they're going to get it.
True that.
A security system and a siren will never stop a "pro", but it might be effective against all of the amateurs.

I think I'll go ahead and get it - I really like the idea of having the pager.
And it looks like I'll probably go with the battery unit as well, since I can't find a rechargeable at any of the local dealers.
Even my go-to online H-D store doesn't stock them.
I've heard battery usage ranges from one day to half a season, so we'll see.
I wouldn't be using it all the time, or even every day - in fact rarely.
I can always switch to the rechargeable later.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Fourdogs
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Jam,

Just ordered a security system with siren for my Heritage, I am of the same thought process as you.
I was wondering if you ever had a chance to test out the pager ?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Bulldog_CVMA
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added the siren myself. It literally took all of 3 minutes, from start to finish... to include opening the box. I like having the extra noise if anyone was to move, or sit on, my bike. I don't have the pager, but want to add that as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Fourdogs
Cruiser

I like having the extra noise if anyone was to move, or sit on, my bike.

Exactly!!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Fourdogs
Jam,

Just ordered a security system with siren for my Heritage, I am of the same thought process as you.
I was wondering if you ever had a chance to test out the pager ?

Thanks,

Mark
Test out? How so?
It works as advertised so far, although I haven't had a chance to test its range.
Also they tell me the battery life is terrible, so I suspect the one that's in it is dead already and will need changed before spring.

Actually I just checked and sure enough, he's dead Jim.
I'll need to invest in a few CR2450's and carry spares on the bike...

Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Fourdogs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jam436
Test out? How so?
It works as advertised so far, although I haven't had a chance to test its range.
Also they tell me the battery life is terrible, so I suspect the one that's in it is dead already and will need changed before spring.

Actually I just checked and sure enough, he's dead Jim.
I'll need to invest in a few CR2450's and carry spares on the bike...
Thanks, just wondering about the battery life.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Having just a carport, I wanted the alarm. When I came home and "thought" someone had uncovered my bike...it was the wind...I added the siren. I have the chargeable pager with mine. I know it's more of a deturant than anything but it makes me feel better knowing it's there.

Quick Reply: ? about H-D Security System - Siren & Pager...