Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Linked brakes will we be able to retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013 | 05:34 AM
lizdc
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Linked brakes will we be able to retrofit

I am curious if any of you think that one they release linked brakes for softails if there will be a way to retrofit a bike that has ABS for it?

I know this is speculation but I am curious about the technology.

I traded my sporty for a deluxe once there was ABS as an option on a Softail. I imagine that we will see linked breaks with ABS as an option on future softails and wonder if we will be able to retrofit it to a bike that has ABS.

Thoughts on the possibility.

I get many of you aren't into ABS great for you but me I like it. And wish I had the linked breaks.

Old 09-24-2013 | 06:02 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

My guess would be no. The electronics/hydraulics interface would seem to require too much modification and probably be prohibitively expensive. As an example, have you seen a retrofit kit for any auto that has been using this technology for years and is far better at it than H-D? JMHO.

Old 09-24-2013 | 07:07 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
My guess would be no. The electronics/hydraulics interface would seem to require too much modification and probably be prohibitively expensive. As an example, have you seen a retrofit kit for any auto that has been using this technology for years and is far better at it than H-D? JMHO.
Don't all cars have linked brakes by design? Which cars would you "retrofit"?

Old 09-24-2013 | 08:11 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

True. What I meant is have anyone seen a kit to put a linked ABS kit on a '66 GTO? For a reasonable price?

Old 09-24-2013 | 08:27 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

I'm guessing no:

Old 09-24-2013 | 08:42 AM
lizdc
|
Elite HDF Member

I was just thinking that wouldn't it have many of the components if you already had ABS which many of us do to modify it to be linked brakes? Isn't the linked brakes a computer program that is using the ABS module but giving it different instructions? It seems to be one system on the new harleys vs two different things. Like I don't think you can get linked brakes without ABS. Which would at least make me ask if it is a computer telling the brakes what to do over 20 miles an hour which could be the ABS computer?
Maybe it is wishful thinking.

Old 09-24-2013 | 09:22 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

the bottom of the line goldwing does not have ABS, but it does have the linked braking system...my brother-in-law has one. i did not believe him and called a honda dealer to verify-yes, you can get linked braking without ABS. harley should have made linked braking standard years ago on all models--regardless of ABS.

i know this does not address your question. you could probably buy a new bike for less than what it would cost to add linked braking to your current ride. if i had to choose between ABS and linked braking, there is no doubt that i would take the ABS.

Old 09-24-2013 | 01:13 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer

Moto Guzzi for years has had linked brakes. The foot pedal would activate the rear brake and one front disc. It takes a little getting used to, but I liked it on my Le Mans. I will say it was a pain in the A$$ to bleed. You could probably link the brakes on a Harley, but I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Old 09-24-2013 | 05:38 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

If the bike already has ABS, it could just be a matter of a firmware flash. I would believe this to be possible if you had a 2013 bike with abs and 2014 offered linked brakes. If you have an older bike, the chances of the components being the same would be less likely I would think.

Old 09-24-2013 | 05:47 PM
lizdc
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
If the bike already has ABS, it could just be a matter of a firmware flash. I would believe this to be possible if you had a 2013 bike with abs and 2014 offered linked brakes. If you have an older bike, the chances of the components being the same would be less likely I would think.
I have a 2011 deluxe with ABS not much has changed on the deluxe in forever so the 11 and the 14 are basically the same. That said I don't think they offer linked on this years softails just touring just like they released abs first on touring. I guess we will see but it is interesting to know if it can be done.

Quick Reply: Linked brakes will we be able to retrofit